475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just setup my theater please see my equipment list below

Paradigm cc 70 v3 center
Paradigm cinema 90 v.2 L,R,SL,SR
Svs PB1000 sub
Sony 40ES projetor
Elite 110inch screen

First off i know the center doesn't match the mains, this is temp setup until i can afford the speakers i want. All the funds went into finishing the basement.

When voice is heard over the center i hear a bit of a vibration towards the end of the actors sentence. I thinkits bass related but it happens with Male or female voices. my avr is an onkyo sr308 and all speakers are set to small with an xover of 100hz. I used an iphone spl meter to tune all the speakers to 75 using the avr's test tones. My sub is set to 2 o'clock

The center is sitting on a wooden shelf directly below the screen.

Any idea why this is happening? There is no carpet in the basement yet, just laminate flooring.... an area rug will be coming soon. Would sticking some felt to the bottom of the center help any bit?

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
A couple questions... How do you have your sub wired & crossed over? Are you using LFE & your processor? Or are you using the subs controls? Or both?

First things first, disconnect everything and listen to some music in mono over your center (no crossovers or anything like that, just feed it a clean signal)

It could be a defect in the speaker itself...

If it's just something rattling, then you should be able to get rid of it by putting something squishy between the speaker and the shelf. Alternatively, just push down on it so that you know the speaker isn't rattling. Try to locate any potential rattles this way. I'd try putting it on a different shelf, or at least stuff some pillows in the lower shelves...

If the speaker doesn't exhibit any issues on it's own, then it's likely something to do with your other speakers... maybe too much constructive interference in the LF causing some resonance, perhaps...

Still, it's probably not...

Could be some kind of boundary interference... I'd try pulling the center away from the wall so that the rear of the speaker is about a foot away from the boundary (er.. wall) & see if that makes any difference... Also, try aiming the speaker slightly up or down, or even slightly off center. This could potentially work... Though, I think it's seriously unlikely.

It may be flutter echo. Ehh... I mean... It's most likely flutter echo... So, you may need to treat the first reflections with absorption or perhaps even diffusion (though, diffusion is kind of pointless on this scale & for all practical purposes is just overly complex absorption).. . worst case scenario, you'll need to spend anywhere from $60-a gajillion dollars on wall treatment (sky's the limit on the price you're willing to fork over, though... I wouldn't recommend anything over DIY panels made from Roxul Safe n sound & some speaker grille cloth)..

Could be hearing it toward the end because the echo is delayed from the actual signal. aiming the center anywhere but directly at your rear wall may actually solve the issue...Basically, if nothing is rattling & aiming doesn't fix it, absorption is going to be needed.

Sorry,
that's a whole lot of what ifs... I kind of just wrote them as they came to mind... Tried to edit it a bit... but when it comes to troubleshooting, I'm a bit prone to pray & spray....

anyway,
tell us about your sub.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the troubleshooting points, really appreciate it. I'm using a sub cable from the sub out on the onkyo to the LFE in on the SVS. The only dial i've touched on the back of the sub is the gain and that's at 2 oclock.

Its definitely not a rattle so i think you're right about the flutter echo. I google it and all the explanations i finding sounds like what i'm hearing. I will try adding some felt feet to the front of the center in an attempt to aim the speaker a bit higher and see if that works. Wall paneling might be tough as its not a dedicated theater and panels might not go with "the Boss's" decor.

I will be going Atmos when the first Denon Atmos/DTSx avr shows up hopefully later this year. I assume Audessy will be able to fine tune this issue... would increasing the xover for the center help with this issue? maybe to 120hz?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Temporarily swap the Center with a FL or FR.
Problem persists? Probably not the Center speaker. Check wiring, amp, acoustics... etc.
Problem moves? Probably the Center speaker. ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Surprised "The Boss" doesn't have a problem with all the furniture on the ceiling. ;)
That is probably why the wine bottles emptied out.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! I know sorry for the pictures... Doesn't make any sense, it's right side up on my desktop. I even tried flipping the pic upside down and uploading it again.. Same outcome.

So I switched the center for a jbl center I have in my living room Theater and the flutter echo is pretty much gone! I still think an area rug will help with some minor echoes I hear. I did hear some distortion in the paradigm at higher listening levels so I feel there is also a problem with the speaker.

Won't be able to switch it out now but at least I know the problem can be fixed.

Thanks for all the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
...I switched the center for a jbl center I have in my living room Theater and the flutter echo is pretty much gone! ...
Flutter echos are a room characteristic; no way changing the speaker affects flutter echos. Conversely, I'd be very surprised if you room had true flutter echos. Too much furniture and few flat, parallel walls.

My money was on the speaker anyway; glad you found something!

Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts