AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first projector, and I'm looking for some information on the recommended height of the screen.

Here are the calulations I get from the Mistubishi Projection Calculator...

Projector: HD1000u

Lens: -

Position: Reverse (Ceiling Mounted)

Lens Shift: On (don't think this is an option)

Projector Distance: 144" (12 ft.)

Ceiling Height: 89" (86.5" seems to be the center of the lense)

Width: 87.4"

Height: 49.1"

Diagonal: 100.3" (this seems to be with MAX Zoom, ~84" w/ MIN Zoom)

From Floor to Bottom of Screen: 20.8"

From Floor to Top of Screen: 70"

==========================================

Now, that puts the center of the screen at ~45" above the floor. This seems pretty close to my eye level when seated, however, I'm 6'-3". For someone shorter this the center of the screen will be slightly higher than eye level, is that going to be a problem? Also note that I believe the 100" screen is with max zoom, if I use a smaller zoom the center of the screen will begin to get higher. My room does have some light coming into it, so a smaller zoom and brighter image might be needed (not sure until installed though).

What is the recommended center of screen? Should I lower the projector?

Thanks in advance for the help,

-Jason

·
Registered
461 Posts
From what I have read on this forum you don't want the center of the screen to be at eye level. Divide the screen height by 3. Eye level should be at the bottom third of the screen.

Steve

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The general recommendation that I've heard (Corey Greenburg on DIY last night) is that the center of your screen should be no higher than 5'10". That's a general recommendation based upon a 36" seated viewing height.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, then this height seems to be great... top of screen at 5'-10" (70"), and bottom 1/3rd of screen at 37.5".... sounds like I'm good to go, and if anything I have a little room to lower the projector (which will help).

Thanks

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Actually, per the advice that I saw, the top of your screen should be higher than 5'10". If your screen is 49.1" tall, then the vertical center point of your screen would be roughly 24.5". So you'd have the center of screen at roughly 5'10" on the wall, and the top of screen would be at roughly 73.6" on your wall.

See the attachment for reference.

If your viewing space doesn't have enough room to position the screen that high, then you'll need to make adjustments as necessary. What I'm talking about is the ideal situation to the best of my knowledge.

EDIT:

Sorry, I didn't read your response correctly. Yes, the top of the screen at about 70" is about right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts