AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this on the speaker forum, so maybe this is redundant. But it was suggested that for this setup a sub might be better, so I figured I'd bring it over to the sub forum. Here's my original post:

As I've been upgrading my own home theater setup, I've been giving my brother my older equipment. I recently helped them buy a Panasonic 42" Plasma and gave them my BD-30k Blu-Ray player. At the moment he's just using the tv's audio, but he'd like my old receiver (mostly to attach his ipod) but can't really set up a 5.1 system at this time. He's got two Denon SC-U51 speakers. I don't know anything about these speakers but on the back it says:

Enclosure type: 2 Way Reflex

Output Power: 20 - 50 W/ch

Nominal Impedance - 6 ohms

The receiver I'm giving him is a Sony STR-SL7. It has optical and coaxial inputs (no HDMI), which probably doesn't matter since he won't have 5.1 anyway.

[/URL] [/IMG]

The room we're dealing with is about 12x15' or around 150 square feet. Definitely under 200 square feet. Obviously not a lot of room here. The Denons would go on either side of the tv. A thin center speaker could fit on one of those shelves which are 22" wide and if I remove a shelf I'd have just under 14" height. I don't know if there's a sub small enough to fit on the shelves, but shouldn't that be directly on the floor anyway. I'm also thinking cheap ($0 - $150 if possible). I'll probably end up buying something for them. They're not audiophiles or anything, but I'm sure they can appreciate decent sound. Y'know, something that would at least give them a little richer experience than just the tv speakers.

So to make a long story short, would it be better to add a center speaker or a subwoofer to the two Denons? However, I'm not sure where a subwoofer would fit in his cabinet. Or don't add anything, and just have the two stereo speakers?

I played them the difference between the tv speaker and the receiver with speakers. It was definitely a big difference, and it will probably be fine for them. But I'd still like to tweak it a bit more.

One thing though, we had on a football game as one of the tests and it seemed like there were more sounds with the tv speaker than the receiver speakers, but when we tried other channels the receiver definitely sounded better. Not really a tech so can't explain it. I'm good at following directions, not explaining.

It was asked if a sub could go anywhere else in the room, but there are little kids and dogs running around, and I just don't see a place where it could go without stringing wires around. Maybe in the front corner of the left cabinet, but I doubt my brother's wife would be in to that.

If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Can you find a place to put surround speakers? That would make the biggest difference.

There may be wireless surrounds out there, I just don't remember who makes them.

In my humble opinion, surround speakers will add more to the listening experience than a center channel speaker. You would use Phantom Center mode.

If you can't put the sub on the floor, you lose a good bit.

You don't need good speakers for the surrounds. Almost any pair will do.

Between a center and a subwoofer, I would go for the sub.

If he could put a sub on the floor it would really help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's just no good way to run wires in that room. There's a wall directly behind the couch (which is in front of the tv) but there are large windows there. Small speakers could be put above the windows (again, his wife wouldn't want wires running every where), and I thought wireless speakers weren't quite there yet.

If the sub could go on the floor it would go on the left side of the room in front of that cabinet in the photo. Just don't know how that would go over. I'd have to look at the spot again and see how it would look.

·
Registered
643 Posts
that room is not conducive to life itself!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by editguy /forum/post/15425366

There's just no good way to run wires in that room. There's a wall directly behind the couch (which is in front of the tv) but there are large windows there. Small speakers could be put above the windows (again, his wife wouldn't want wires running every where), and I thought wireless speakers weren't quite there yet.

If the sub could go on the floor it would go on the left side of the room in front of that cabinet in the photo. Just don't know how that would go over. I'd have to look at the spot again and see how it would look.

run the wires get rid of the wife.

i got wires everywhere is life, someday i will get it straight

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm including some dimensions for the viewing area. We may be able to get a small sub in the corner in front of the cabinet.

[/URL] [/IMG]

[/URL] [/IMG]

[/URL] [/IMG]

[/URL] [/IMG]

[/URL] [/IMG]

Ultimately the room is bigger because it stretches from the 13' wall on the side 23' to a fireplace, but what's called the living room and where all the chairs are in the sections I provided.

You can see where the speakers are currently located. If we add a sub, would also adding a center do anything, or are the speakers too close to really make a difference (plus a center would pretty much be off center so may not work well anyway).

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not much to add here other than voting for the sub.

I ran a phantom center for many years. While adding the center is certainly an improvement, it's nowhere near the same league as what a sub added.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down /forum/post/15438581

Not much to add here other than voting for the sub.

I ran a phantom center for many years. While adding the center is certainly an improvement, it's nowhere near the same league as what a sub added.

Do you have any recommendations for a decent yet inexpensive subwoofer? Between $100 - 150 would be swell.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.