AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the Panasonic 7UY and I'm hitting up against logistics problems.

I'm wondering about some unconventional approaches on center channel placement. Most confiigurations have the center below the screen. Since the stand on the 7UY is just 3" or so, that doesn't leave much room for a speaker of any height. And of course, most of the speakers I'm interested in are in the 6-10" height range.

So I searched the speaker section and didn't find much on this topic. Assuming the center channel is mounted on a flexible bracket to adjust angle and depth, is it reasonable to mount the center channel above the plasma?

I realize wall mounting the plasma could help free some room below, but given some of the height adjustment constraints and the number of AV components below the unit, it's getting tight.

· Registered
308 Posts
I don't see a big problem doing this dansevush. Actually a lot people I know have put their center above the screen (although they have the display wall-mounted). I guess it would be a matter of aesthetics as well...if you can get the center above th screen and like the way it looks, go for it!!

Just make sure to have a good mount for your center...you don't want it falling over the display!

Good luck!

· Read the FAQ!
37,665 Posts
Also be sure to allow a sufficient gap for ventilation. The plasma puts out about 500 watts of heat (think eight 60 watt light bulbs) and you want air space for that hot air to rise without cooking the bottom of your speaker. Since the vents on the plasma are usually well below the top of the frame, I would think a 4 to 6 inch gap above the top of the frame should be sufficient for a modest size speaker. Most plasma vendors suggest a larger gap then that between the top of the plasma and any full length obstruction above the plasma such as the ceiling. If your speaker is flush mounted in the wall or mounted forward of the front surface of the plasma so that the hot air misses it on the way up, this is less of a concern.

--Bob

· Registered
71 Posts
I just saw a unique center speaker shelf today at Ultimate Electronics. I can't remember the brand name (sorry..can check later if you wish)

It was basically an aluminium shelf that had variable angle, padded rest pads on adjustable length legs for the weight support on the back of the shelf (which can rest against the back of any tv). It had two small pegs for the front of the shelf which were designed to hook to the front of the tv.

The shelf itself had a few dozen tiny holes in it for heat disipation/ventilation.

Not sure if I would run right out and buy one, being that I'd be uncomfortable "hooking" onto the front of the TV, but if I didn't have any other options, I might consider it.

· Registered
150 Posts
I have my B&W center speaker above my panny 42PX25 on a tempered glass shelf that I special ordered thru Home Depot. Sounds fine/ looks good to me. The shelf is about 6 inches above the top of the TV.

· Registered
28 Posts
I mounted my Polk Center above my Zenith P42W46X. I mounted it directly

by removing the speakers and driving screws through the back

into a stud that (luckily) was in the center of screen. I angled it

down by putting two of the rubber legs that came with the center

on the rear of the speaker - near the top.

Sounds great.

JP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.