AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just happened to scheme through a publication by R. Hardesty about the use of center channel. In essence, he said "center channel depreciate spatial effect". He goes on to say that he never heard a surround sound system that didn't sound better with the center speaker turned off. "

Very bold statements, so I did a little bit experimenting based on his suggestions. I told my processor that I do not have a center and recalibrate everything. Guess what, I may have to buy Mr. Hardesty a beer because I like the way my music sounds now. Before, depending on the music material, I always tend to lower center channel volume because it overpowers the L&R speakers even how much calibration I do. Now there is more seamless integration of the L&R speakers. In movies, I still like my center channel to be there though. It keeps dialog focused in the screen where it should be.

What are the thoughts of experts here? Do you or do you not use center channel for multichannel movies and most especially music?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I always used 5ch stereo on my old Onkyo and liked it, but always thought that they used the center too much.

Now with my new Pio it has settings to adjust the weight of the center. Now I can make adjustments to my liking, very nice.

I now listen to music in DPL2Music with the center at the lowest setting.

peace

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the newer receivers and processors geared towards multichannel listening, I have to agree that the integration between channels are getting better and better. I used to be a proponent of center channel or die kind of thinking, but now at least on multichannel music listening, I am getting better listening pleasure.

·
Registered
609 Posts
For sweet spot listening I think that a phantom center works great. But to give a wider sweet spot so to speak a center really anchors that source to the center position, and screen for movies. It is nice to let everyone watching or listening have good sound, not just the guy in the sweet spot. If course if you always watch or listen alone, then there might not be a great need for one to have the center.

Personally, I like the center.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Doesn't removing the center channel take away from 5.1 SACD music? I always thought the best way to listen to music is to use all the available channels afforded by the music medium.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DXL
Doesn't removing the center channel take away from 5.1 SACD music? I always thought the best way to listen to music is to use all the available channels afforded by the music medium.
multichannel SACD's and DVD-audio discs use the center channel.....

some of these discs are mastered with a little center channel information and some of them have a great deal more..... it all depends upon who engineered the recording.....

cheers!

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.