AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to mount the center speaker on a flat shelf? If I place the speaker on top of a cabinet (below the screen)...will the placement cause resonance problems and other things from the cabinet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is ok to place the speaker on a shelf, just try to make the front of the speaker flush with the edge of the shelf. Aim the center channel speaker toward your seating position for the best coverage. If the speaker vibrates, fasten it down.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanR100 /forum/post/16973121

It is ok to place the speaker on a shelf, just try to make the front of the speaker flush with the edge of the shelf. Aim the center channel speaker toward your seating position for the best coverage. If the speaker vibrates, fasten it down.

Or if you can't fasten it down you could always use a thick cloth to rest it on.

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTurner /forum/post/16973102

Is it better to mount the center speaker on a flat shelf? If I place the speaker on top of a cabinet (below the screen)...will the placement cause resonance problems and other things from the cabinet?

If the speaker is rear-ported, and the shelf is enclosed, it's not a good idea to place the speaker there.

Even if the speaker is not rear-ported, it's still not the optimal placement for a speaker to place it in an enclosed space. You can get resonance of the cabinet, plus early reflections off the front walls of the cabinet.

If it is really necessary to do this, look for a speaker with some built-in, adjustable boundary compensation. Also, if possible, fill the space behind it with acoustic absorption material to reduce the resonance and the echoing inside the enclosed space.

Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your responses. Your advice is greatly appreciated. The problem stems around available space. I am looking at buying a Salamander unit -- either a 21" high unit or a 31" high unit. If i buy the 31" I am forced to place the center speaker inside the cabinet -- to allow sufficient clearance above for my screen. If I buy the 21", I can place the speaker (Klipsch RC-52) on top of the cabinet or mount it a few inches above the cabinet. I don't want to compromise the audio quality. Thank you again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.