AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of redesigning my HT and am faced with a screen issue. Specifically, I am going to be using an in-ceiling motorized screen and, because of the room constraints, will need to place the center speaker behind the screen. I know I could spend a few grand on an acoustic sceen, but I would rather find a more economical solution.

My plan is to place the speaker above the viewing area of the screen. Is there a way to replace the black border above the screen with something the speaker could penetrate? I would even be willing to cut out part of the border and leave a vacant space if necessary. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/17005583

Why not use an in-ceiling speaker? Just be sure to get a decent one that will let you aim the treble drivers at your viewers' ears.

I suppose I could do that, although my ceilings are kind of high so it is not ideal. Is the idea of doing something with the to border of the screen (ie, a cut out or changing the material to be transparent) just not doable?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The speakers in one of my rooms are in-wall Speakercraft and I put in a VERY expensive ($1K) "aimable" ceiling speaker that can be aligned with the listener's ears easily. My Ceilings are 10feet tall in that room and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird92660 /forum/post/17013122

I suppose I could do that, although my ceilings are kind of high so it is not ideal.

How high is high? For acoustically transparent material, look into GOM for one example (Guillford of Maine). One of the issues I'd worry about is how much offset there is between mains and the center speaker. Another is lack of timbre matching, depending on the differences between mains and center.

How centralized are the viewers? How many viewers? While you ponder over your possibilities, I'd consider just running a phantom setup for now. Just tell your receiver that no center speaker is connected. This center channel should now be downmixed into your mains.

FWIW, I honestly believe some* phantom setups have much better dialogue intelligibility, particularly when the center speaker design is poorly implemented (probably happens often), coupled with poor placement. This comes from a believer in center channel, with a 7.1 setup. Anyhoo, it's worth a shot. I don't know if you already have chosen your mains, but maybe spend what was originally intended for 3 speakers, on 2 better ones. Better speakers will have superior offaxis response as well, helping the cause.

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
I have run a phantom center from day one, and did exactly what jostenmeat suggests. I put all my apples in the mains and have never once wished for a little center. Unless you have a very wide seating arrangement I don't think a phantom is a problem and in my case I really think it's and improvement. The center image to me always seems to be originating from the correct location at the screen. centers above always seem to draw the voices up IMO. My mains are located height wise so the top main is at ear level for the second row seating and the lower main is ear level for the front row. (picture below mirror setup other side)

I guess what I'm running would be called 4.2

·
Premium Member
25,493 Posts
"Better speakers will have superior offaxis response as well, helping the cause."

What you want is CD (constant directivity) speakers, which when properly toed in give a much wider sweet spot then conventional direct radiators, as well as other benefits.

Search on "waveguide" or go to gedlee.com and read the white paper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.