AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok to place the center speaker on its side (vertically), so that its more of a l then a --- ? the way my entertainment cabinet is setup (the middle compartment directly under the tv is only about 6inches wide) i either have to

1. get a small satilitte type of center speaker

or buy a rectangular center speaker and

2. put it on its side

3. buy a stand but then it will look out of place infront of the entertainment cabinet

4. place it infront of my tv (its plasma so i can not even put it ON the tv ) but then it will block some of the picture

or 5. any other suggestions? :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Is the entertainment cabinet floor to ceiling?

if not just get a speaker wall bracket with tilt adjustment and mount center on wall above TV and angle it toward the listening area.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Most centers would sound better aligned vertically.

Or just get an identical speaker to your mains. Even better.

Steve

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I agree with Steve's recommendation. There is NO WAY that a horizontally oriented speaker will sound the same as its vertically oriented counterpart. If you want smooth pans across the front sound stage and clear dialog, then you need three identical speakers across the front positioned at roughly the same vertical height.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
perhaps my describing my situation wasnt the best.... from what ive noticed, most center speakers are rectangular, lets say like a vcr shape (sitting on its "bottom") in my cabinet directly under my tv, its only about 6inches left to right. so i was thinking about standing the speaker on its side to make it like how a dvd is put on a shelf (so it will sit on its "side" instead of its "bottom").... also its open space behind the tv after about 8inches up (stairwell)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think the short answer is that standing the center vertically shouldn't be a problem.

The long answer is that center speakers are short&wide for convenience, not sound quality. Most people have limited vertical space, or want to sit the center on top of their TV, which is why they make "center" versions of speakers to allow this. Since you need a center speaker that is taller than it is wide, you could just buy a normal speaker (which matches your front L/R speakers) and it will work just as well. But the "center" version should also work (on its side).

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can use two identical speakers instead of one large center if that helps you any. You'll just split the speaker wire into both and get a 4 ohm load. This is another option for you, don't know if it helps or not...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I must disagree with the assertion that a different center channel speaker than that used for the mains will not provide smooth pans and clear dialog. I have Linn 5140 mains and a Linn 5120 center channel. The mains are large 3-way speakers with 8 inch woofers. The center channel is a 2-way speaker (although it can be modified to 3-way if going active) that is horizontal and has smaller midrange/woofers. I thing the dialog is exceptionally clear and I also think the pans are very smooth. In fact, I notice no difference between the center channel speaker and the mains when sound pans. Moreover, a 5140 is quite large. There is simply no place to put one (i.e., to use for a center channel) anywhere near a TV or even screen for that matter without blocking the view of the TV/screen.

·
Registered
232 Posts
azistoohot,

Keep in mind that while you do not have exactly the same speakers, the 5120 uses the exact same drivers as the 5140's (mid's and tweet's). And they were designed to be used together. You have a great set-up.

I use an active 5120 (still 2-way as both mid drivers get the same frequency range) with Keltiks.

Kevin

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello Linn users. Sorry to be off topic, I have a 5120 with Keiledhs. I know that my mains have a ceramic tweeter, but does the 5120 have a soft dome? Should I try to upgrade my mids/tweets to match better with the 5120 since it's newer in design? BY going aktiv with the 5120 first, what do I need to have since I have two amps channels already dedicated for this speakers drivers..I hear its call a Tunboks...? Do I need one or two cards? thanks!

I have a question about vertically aligned centers to. What's the req. height that the center's tweeters and mains tweeters should be aligned at for seemless front sound stage? I agree most stands would interfere with the screen though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.