AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
in the speaker level settings for your center channel, try turning it down a few levels...so if its +1, try -1. and if -1 means volume to low, turn up volume.
What exactly is the point of this process?

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
What exactly is the point of this process?

I have noticed my center channel speaker sounding clearer turning down the gain audyssey set by 2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Two things I'd suggest. Select stereo for listening mode for a while. If clarity improves dramatically, then check phase relative to the front three. Second, I'd ask how old you are? Loosing high frequency is the first as we age. I personally have a very significant hearing loose and I can attest to the fact that even with w Paradigm CC690 v.5 it can sound muffled without my hearing aids or turning the center channel up significantly.

Good Luck, David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Two things I'd suggest. Select stereo for listening mode for a while. If clarity improves dramatically, then check phase relative to the front three. Second, I'd ask how old you are? Loosing high frequency is the first as we age. I personally have a very significant hearing loose and I can attest to the fact that even with w Paradigm CC690 v.5 it can sound muffled without my hearing aids or turning the center channel up significantly.

Good Luck, David

I find stereo mode to be fine..the dialogues aren’t that clear but they at least don’t sound muffled. Sorry new to this hobby, so not sure what you mean by “check phase relative to the front three”.

Also, I’m just 29, and I’m hoping this is not the age where people start having significant hearing loss. :)

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
I have noticed my center channel speaker sounding clearer turning down the gain audyssey set by 2.
In general, a proper level calibration is optimal. Setting the CC level too low can cause dialogue to be drowned out by the L/R's and surrounds. Setting the CC level too high and make dialogue too loud relative to the rest of the speakers, making dialogue excessively loud and/or harsh, and can cause the levels of effects to be inappropriately exaggerated as they pan through the CC.

A proper level calibration can be performed with Audyssey or by using an SPL meter and external test tones.

Craig

·
Registered
289 Posts
My current 5.0 setup consists of the following -
Front LR - Monitor Audio Bronze BR5
Center - Monitor Audio Bronze BR-LCR
Surrounds - Monitor Audio Bronze BR1
Receiver - Onkyo TXSR605

I’️ve been listening to music in stereo and everything’️s fine but when I watch movies, the vocals from the center channel sound muffled. It’️s like the dialogue lacks clarity and I’️ve to constantly look at the subtitles to understand what’️s being spoken by the actors. I’️m not sure what’️s causing this.

I removed my center channel and replaced it with one of the surrounds to see if the speaker was the problem, but I had the same problem with this as well, so I’️m guessing the center speaker is fine.

Does this have to do with my receiver being really old and not being able to drive the speakers well? I can buy a new receiver but I don’️t want to spend money on a new one if there’️s nothing wrong with the current receiver as well. I wanted to buy an amplifier but looks like this receiver doesn’️t have preouts, so an external amp is not an option as well.

Would love to hear any suggestions. I’️ve attached a picture of my setup. Thanks!

Didn’t read through the thread completely so I don’t know if this is mentioned, but are you able to measure you frequency response. I have had issues in my room with dialogue sounding kind of distorted on certain voices. So I measured the response and I had a pretty significant boost in spl from like 110-250 hz. Applying some eq to the response helped a lot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Didn’t read through the thread completely so I don’t know if this is mentioned, but are you able to measure you frequency response. I have had issues in my room with dialogue sounding kind of distorted on certain voices. So I measured the response and I had a pretty significant boost in spl from like 110-250 hz. Applying some eq to the response helped a lot.

How do I measure this? Also, the receiver is pretty old and I don’t have any calibration mic. I’m planning to get a receiver with Audyssey XT32 soon.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
How do I measure this? Also, the receiver is pretty old and I don’t have any calibration mic. I’m planning to get a receiver with Audyssey XT32 soon.
People will typically use a Umik-1 and the free REW software to take room measurements.

·
Registered
507 Posts
People will typically use a Umik-1 and the free REW software to take room measurements.
Use the mic that comes with the Audyssey XT32 capable receiver coming soon.

Reactions: nikn1122

·
Registered
289 Posts
Didn’️t read through the thread completely so I don’️t know if this is mentioned, but are you able to measure you frequency response. I have had issues in my room with dialogue sounding kind of distorted on certain voices. So I measured the response and I had a pretty significant boost in spl from like 110-250 hz. Applying some eq to the response helped a lot.

How do I measure this? Also, the receiver is pretty old and I don’️t have any calibration mic. I’️m planning to get a receiver with Audyssey XT32 soon.
How do I measure this? Also, the receiver is pretty old and I don’️t have any calibration mic. I’️m planning to get a receiver with Audyssey XT32 soon.
Use the mic that comes with the Audyssey XT32 capable receiver coming soon.
A umik-1 and rew as people have suggested. But just for reference this is my measured response. Look at the Orange one and ignore the other. The other measurement is when I thought I fixed it but actually made it sound worse. You can see right in the Vocal region it goes kinda haywire.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
What receiver is it?

Did you have a mic before and use it in that space with those speakers at that distance?

If so, write down the distance settings it came up with, then do a factory reset, and EQ manually setting all speakers to small, 80hz crossover, Dynamic EQ off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A umik-1 and rew as people have suggested. But just for reference this is my measured response. Look at the Orange one and ignore the other. The other measurement is when I thought I fixed it but actually made it sound worse. You can see right in the Vocal region it goes kinda haywire.

How did you end up correcting it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What receiver is it?

Did you have a mic before and use it in that space with those speakers at that distance?

If so, write down the distance settings it came up with, then do a factory reset, and EQ manually setting all speakers to small, 80hz crossover, Dynamic EQ off.

Are you asking about the new receiver I’m going to buy or the current one? The current one is an Onkyo TXSR605 and the new one I’m looking for is either the Denon X3400H or X3500H. Just waiting to find some used deals.

I haven’t used any mic before this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find stereo mode to be fine..the dialogues aren’t that clear but they at least don’t sound muffled. Sorry new to this hobby, so not sure what you mean by “check phase relative to the front three”.

Also, I’m just 29, and I’m hoping this is not the age where people start having significant hearing loss. :)
To keep it simple, just swap + and - on the center channel and listen. If it does not improve, then probably not an issue.

Take care of your hearing. Coming from a guy who did not, trust me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What receiver is it?

Are you asking about the new receiver I’️m going to buy or the current one? The current one is an Onkyo TXSR605 and the new one I’️m looking for is either the Denon X3400H or X3500H. Just waiting to find some used deals.

I haven’️t used any mic before this.
My receiver allows for 11 bands of peq, so I was able to upload filters created in REW. But I know that’s only available in specific products so it’s probably not the answer. But even with audyssey and the app I think you could tweak it to make the response better if it doesn’t fix it on its own. Also, room treatments could possible solve the issue depending on the cause.

Either way you would need a measurement microphone to check if room modes are even the issue. I would probably get a microphone before getting a new receiver Just to confirm if the issue is in Frequency response or not. It’s well worth the money and great to have on hand.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts
Are you asking about the new receiver I’m going to buy or the current one? The current one is an Onkyo TXSR605 and the new one I’m looking for is either the Denon X3400H or X3500H. Just waiting to find some used deals.

I haven’t used any mic before this.
Do a factory reset and start over with manual settings to see if anything improves.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20080129112500/Manuals/580/580TXS605B.PDF

To reset the AV receiver/AV amplifier to its factory
defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the
[VCR/DVR] button, press the [STANDBY/ON] button. “Clear” will appear on the display and the AV
receiver/AV amplifier will enter Standby mode.
Note that resetting the AV receiver/AV amplifier will
delete your radio presets and custom settings.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The graph doesn't tell a lot since it only goes up to 500Hz. Two things concern me (1) it sounds muffled with two different speakers and (2) turning it up a couple of DBs makes it sound harsh. It may be possible the output transistor or one of the driver transistors are failing. You should at least be able to turn it up as much as your main speakers without distortion. It could be the center channel amp on the receiver is the problem. I don't normally look at a hardware issue first, but two different speakers with the same muffled sound and harshness/distortion with nominal raise in level makes me think it's a possibility.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does the receiver has some sort of Dialog Level Adjust ? if so, bump it up by couple of dbs and may fix it.
You may try changing the Source Level Adjust settings too, if its an issue from a particular source.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts