AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fronts/Surrounds are Mirage Omni Sat with a Martin Logan Dynamo500 subwoofer. Receiver is Pioneer Elite.

The Mirage Omni-Sat Center Channel does not really have the clarity I would like (especially for speech in Movies).

I am looking to upgrade the center and noticed the Martin Logan Encore TF is now @ $200. At that price, I may even upgrade my fronts as well to that speaker.

I would love to hear feedback on this potential upgrade. Also, the Martin Logans are 4ohms and the receiver is 8ohms and am not sure if that is a serious issue I need to be concerned about.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Replacing all 3 is definitely worth considering. The OS is a remarkable speaker for what it is, if it suits you and your space, but if you have the space and money for more there is room for improvement.

I can't comment on the Martin Logans, but if you're interested in comments this thread title won't pull in the right people. That is a rather unusual speaker, and just looking at it and the specs I'm not convinced it's going to make you much happier. Depends on the room, maybe.

You might also want to consider the Mirage OMD series at Vanns , either for all 3 or using an OMDC1 or an OMD5 for the center. You could use the OS for surrounds if you want. Lots of discussion in the big Mirage thread.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks buzzy. sorry i'm not too good at marketing the title.

the OMD-C1 and OMD-5 look like and are priced similarly as the OS3. Are they much different?

Also, they seem to be 6ohms - not sure how that would relate to my 8ohm pioneer elite receiver.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
The OMD speakers are far better, and somewhat larger, than the OS. The prices are only close because the line is on sale / clearance. Lots of info out there if you Google for reviews.

6 ohms is no problem for your receiver, unless you want to play it really really loud all the time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so i will upgrade the center to an OMD-C1 (@ 6ohms) to gain clarity there. I spoke with Pioneer and although the 92 doesn't officially support 6ohms he thinks it should be fine.

I trust it will blend well with the OmniSats - or perhaps I can upgrade the fronts to an OMD-5 too and leave the rears as OmniSats.

FYI: Best Buy Rep (who is pushing the martin logan encore) says 4 ohm shouldnt be a problem for a center channel. And Mirage Rep naturally does not suggest using a different brand center channel nor does the Vanns Rep as they say it will only sound worse due to the mismatch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.