AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Given the multipurpose use of my living room, I have very little space for my front speakers. If I have a center speaker, I will probably need to pack it up every time I'm done watching which will probably be very very annoying...

So far, the three options I'm considering are:
- 2 svs primes elevation and one svs prime center
- 2 svs prime bookshelves speakers and use a "virtual" center
- 2 svs ultra bookshelves speakers and use a "virtual" center

My room is 3 meter wide and 6.5 meter long (10 feet x 22 feet). I sit about 4.5 meter away from the screen (15 feet).

I don't really have the space to use both bookshelves and centers so I'm not sure if it's better to use prime elevation with a prime center to watch movies or to use the bookshelves.

If I use the bookshelves, is it really worth getting the ultras?

Would there be any other brand with better bookshelves that are also smaller?

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Given the multipurpose use of my living room, I have very little space for my front speakers. If I have a center speaker, I will probably need to pack it up every time I'm done watching which will probably be very very annoying...

So far, the three options I'm considering are:
- 2 svs primes elevation and one svs prime center
- 2 svs prime bookshelves speakers and use a "virtual" center
- 2 svs ultra bookshelves speakers and use a "virtual" center

My room is 3 meter wide and 6.5 meter long (10 feet x 22 feet). I sit about 4.5 meter away from the screen (15 feet).

I don't really have the space to use both bookshelves and centers so I'm not sure if it's better to use prime elevation with a prime center to watch movies or to use the bookshelves.

If I use the bookshelves, is it really worth getting the ultras?

Would there be any other brand with better bookshelves that are also smaller?
First off, WHERE are you? Canada? Or the US? The first would greatly narrow your available options.

Generally speaking, I would never get the Ultras if HT/TV/gaming not music is your main usage. Complete overkill. And the Prime series are a pretty low price-to-performance proposition...much better available for same or less money esp. if you're in the US.

And using Prime Elevations as your FL/FR is a terrible idea, I would cross that off your list of options pronto.

Reactions: tomta

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Zorba922

I'm in Hong Kong, I usually buy from the US or Japan and then ship it over since I don't pay any duty fees and it usually comes out cheaper than buying here. I do have a SVS reseller here so if the price difference is not too high I might buy it locally.

I plan to use it for both music and HT/TV/Gaming probably 40% music, 60% HT/TV/Gaming...

I have little speaker of brands when it comes to speakers so I'm completely open to any other brands, right now I'm using a sonos beam with two play 1s and the sub but I'm not very happy with it and want to upgrade to a 5.1.2 system (well given that I'm thinking of not actually having a center but instead using a virtual center, it'd be 4.1.2).

In term of total budget, I have about 3000 USD.

If it helps to know what kind of sound I like I do have a few headphones and mostly use a stax SR 007 and a foster TH990 mk2 (totally different pairs of headphones, used for completely different musics :)).

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Thanks @Zorba922

I'm in Hong Kong, I usually buy from the US or Japan and then ship it over since I don't pay any duty fees and it usually comes out cheaper than buying here. I do have a SVS reseller here so if the price difference is not too high I might buy it locally.

I plan to use it for both music and HT/TV/Gaming probably 40% music, 60% HT/TV/Gaming...

I have little speaker of brands when it comes to speakers so I'm completely open to any other brands, right now I'm using a sonos beam with two play 1s and the sub but I'm not very happy with it and want to upgrade to a 5.1.2 system (well given that I'm thinking of not actually having a center but instead using a virtual center, it'd be 4.1.2).

In term of total budget, I have about 3000 USD.

If it helps to know what kind of sound I like I do have a few headphones and mostly use a stax SR 007 and a foster TH990 mk2 (totally different pairs of headphones, used for completely different musics :)).
Ok, if Ken Rockwell and Head Fi's reviews of those Stax cans are correct, then you are TOTALLY barking up the wrong tree with SVS.
https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/sr-007-mk2.htm
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/stax-sr-007-mk2.11923/reviews

It seems like Wharfedale would be a much better choice for you, either the Diamond series (11.2) or the Evo series (4.2). See if you can find them locally...they're a UK brand and with HK being a former British colony, it stands to chance...

I would still go with a mismatched center though, since the Diamond series' current centers do not get good reviews being all 2 ways, and the Evo center is ridiculously overpriced.

Best bang for your buck if you're able to get them over to Hong Kong, would be the Emotiva B1+ bookshelves with C1+ center. I know that Emotiva ships worldwide using UPS, so it should be doable. The main drawback with them is their futuristic styling, but they actually look a lot better in real life than in those terrible white-background photos on the website.

Reactions: tomta

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks @Zorba922 for all the recommendation... I'll check those out! Hadn't heard yet of either of those brands. Definitely much cheaper than the SVS ultra bookshelves.

Actually thinking about it more, I think the kind of music I'm likely to listen on speakers vs my headphones is more likely to be metal and electronic music, so more something that's like the fostex that's a bit v shaped (although I guess that's not ideal on movies)...

What originally brought me to looking at SVS was their prime elevation (planning to use it for the ceiling speakers for atmos) and their subs (was looking at a sealed SB 2000 pro since I tend to prefer sealed). Would using those with the Wharfedale or Emotiva be an issue? It does seem that SVS' sub has very good review?

For the center, what do you think of using a virtual center? Not having a center would really be ideal for me... Does that change what I would need to buy for the front left and right?

Oh, a friend of mine swears by Q acoustics , wondering what you think of them? And finally what do you think of the B&W 607s since they also seem to be highly regarded?

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Thanks @Zorba922 for all the recommendation... I'll check those out! Hadn't heard yet of either of those brands. Definitely much cheaper than the SVS ultra bookshelves.

Actually thinking about it more, I think the kind of music I'm likely to listen on speakers vs my headphones is more likely to be metal and electronic music, so more something that's like the fostex that's a bit v shaped (although I guess that's not ideal on movies)...

What originally brought me to looking at SVS was their prime elevation (planning to use it for the ceiling speakers for atmos) and their subs (was looking at a sealed SB 2000 pro since I tend to prefer sealed). Would using those with the Wharfedale or Emotiva be an issue? It does seem that SVS' sub has very good review?

For the center, what do you think of using a virtual center? Not having a center would really be ideal for me... Does that change what I would need to buy for the front left and right?

Oh, a friend of mine swears by Q acoustics , wondering what you think of them? And finally what do you think of the B&W 607s since they also seem to be highly regarded?
If you want a sealed sub, the Hsu ULS-15 would be a much better choice than the SB2000. You should also look into the Rythmik subs, whose servo control technology supposedly gives you the best of both worlds.

For Atmos upfirings or height speakers, I'd look at the Klipsch RP-140SA, better priced than the Elevations and similar or better performance.

Since it sounds like you do mixed use, I'd look for some neutral speakers like Emotiva, Chane, and Ascend. These would be the most versatile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want a sealed sub, the Hsu ULS-15 would be a much better choice than the SB2000. You should also look into the Rythmik subs, whose servo control technology supposedly gives you the best of both worlds.

For Atmos upfirings or height speakers, I'd look at the Klipsch RP-140SA, better priced than the Elevations and similar or better performance.

Since it sounds like you do mixed use, I'd look for some neutral speakers like Emotiva, Chane, and Ascend. These would be the most versatile.
I'll try to see if I can listen the Hsu or Rythmik subs. Both sound interesting

Ah for the Klipsch, the problem is that my girlfriend doesn't approve their looks, the prime elevation have the advantage being white which means that they would not be too noticeable when fixed on my wall below the ceiing...

So if I understand you recommend the Wharfedale more for the warm sound but might not be perfect for movies. Whereas Emotiva, Chane and Ascend are more neutral and B&W are more bright?

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
I'll try to see if I can listen the Hsu or Rythmik subs. Both sound interesting

Ah for the Klipsch, the problem is that my girlfriend doesn't approve their looks, the prime elevation have the advantage being white which means that they would not be too noticeable when fixed on my wall below the ceiing...

So if I understand you recommend the Wharfedale more for the warm sound but might not be perfect for movies. Whereas Emotiva, Chane and Ascend are more neutral and B&W are more bright?
Yes...if you want the best of both worlds you can do the Wharfedales for L/R and 2 channel music listening, but use an Emotiva or Ascend center speaker for optimal dialogue and front effects. Wharfedale follows the lead of Polk, KEF, and other big speaker companies in reserving their one decent center speakers for the upper models---the Evo center is their only 3 way center and it's a whopping $800. Their Diamond 11 centers are 2 way designs that have mediocre at best voice clarity by all accounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts