AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Depends on just how high the tv is, how close either position will put the speaker to reflective surfaces (ceiling vs mantle) and how high the LR are...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Also a lot of mounting considerations. Is it brick/stone or sheet-rock above the fireplace? Are you mounting center directly to the wall or to the TV mount? Is the TV on a tilt mount or fixed?

·
Registered
545 Posts
With the TV above the fireplace, to keep the center more coherent with the other mains, I'd go below the mantle or just under the bottom of the TV. I've got the same setup and have run the center on a stand below the TV in front of the fireplace and now run a tower center speaker just like my L & R. Either setup gave me a seamless front stage as things panned across the TV, plus the drivers are more ear level without having to aim the center down.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 /forum/post/17012892

With the TV above the fireplace, to keep the center more coherent with the other mains, I'd go below the mantle or just under the bottom of the TV. I've got the same setup and have run the center on a stand below the TV in front of the fireplace and now run a tower center speaker just like my L & R. Either setup gave me a seamless front stage as things panned across the TV, plus the drivers are more ear level without having to aim the center down.

Hi, what happens if you want to use the fire?

I'm going to have the fireplace totally re-built (gas fire). The brick is going and were are going to use a tile of some type. My contractor has told me that I can lower the mantel by approx. 2 brick courses. It just seems a shame to have to raise the TV (52" LCD) to allow for the center speaker. Viewing distance is only 11ft.

If I had it my way I'd just put a piece of furniture in front of the fireplace, which I already have. But, I'm not "allowed" to.

What about a "custom" mantel piece? Maybe I could have the speaker "built in", what about heat though?

Paul

·
Registered
664 Posts
What are you doing for mains?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm really not sure.

I only installed the HTD in-walls about 2 months ago (1 pair front and 1 pair rear).

To the right of the fireplace I'm having the wall extended towards the right in order to center the fireplace/TV. New cabinets for the components. The sub will site to the right in an open cabinet.

I'm concerned how the in-walls will sound because the left and right wall construction will be different. So, maybe bookshelves or floor standing (which seems a backward step, aesthetically speaking). Also, with floor standing I'd have to move the speaker everytime I wanted to open the cabinet door.

Currently I have a longer Flat Panel speaker from HTD for the center. It's only 5" deep.

Ideas anyone?

Oh, and sorry for the really bad image manipulation. The black parts are the center speaker and sub.

Paul

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL250268 /forum/post/17013126

Hi, what happens if you want to use the fire?

I'm going to have the fireplace totally re-built (gas fire). The brick is going and were are going to use a tile of some type. My contractor has told me that I can lower the mantel by approx. 2 brick courses. It just seems a shame to have to raise the TV (52" LCD) to allow for the center speaker. Viewing distance is only 11ft.

If I had it my way I'd just put a piece of furniture in front of the fireplace, which I already have. But, I'm not "allowed" to.

What about a "custom" mantel piece? Maybe I could have the speaker "built in", what about heat though?

Paul

Have him "build in" the tv to where the fireplace is supposed to go, and buy SWMBO a bluray of a burning fire...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts