AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to get my income tax refund check, and I'll have a little more than I had originally thought to throw towards a new center channel. I found a really good deal on the Klipsch RC 64II, but it's still a lot to throw down on just one speaker. Although I KNOW for a fact that it is a very, very good center, I'm wondering if for my particular room (14x20 living room, with the theater on the short side) and setup (Klipsch Forte IIs as mains, Klipsch RS 42IIs surrounds, DefTech BP2X rears, and a Yamaha Aventage 2010 receiver) if it might be slightly overkill. Could I get by with say, perhaps a Klipsch RC 62II for a center, and save the extra money for something else? I watch a lot of movies, play XBOX 360, and listen to music on this system. I really like having a big, great sound, but if there won't be much of a sound difference between the big 64II and the smaller 62II in my modestly sized living room, I really can't justify spending the extra money on only marginally better sound. I currently have an older, 100 watt Klipsch center channel that I've been very pleased with, I just feel like I am missing out on more, especially with the quality of the Forte IIs. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated and will seriously help me to sleep better at night.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm sure the RC64II is a great center channel, but probably not the best choice for your mains. I have Kg4 which are from the same series as the Fortes. I tried several center channels during my search. I thought a KLF-C7 may be a good match since it also has 8" woofers. It was OK, but the sound seem to go over my head instead of getting me involved in the movie.

I then tried the KV2. It also was good, but just didn't seem to have the right tonal balance. I then tried the KV3 and it was magic. Great tonal balance, good presence, matched extremely well with the Kg4s, I tried other non-Klipsch centers, Legacy Silver Screen, B&W VM1, Emotiva ERM-1, but none sounded better than the KV3.

I remember the RC64II center being very substantial center with four mid/woofers. Unless you really need the extra drivers for larger area coverage, I would try some of the KV (KV1-KV4) series. I would also check out the Academy, or maybe the RC3.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, KJ. I went with the RC 64II not long after I posted this. It arrived a couple of days ago and it sounds fantastic. I almost needed a crane to get it out of the box, but it was worth it. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts