AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have energy connoisseur c-9s, and already have the matching cc1 center. I can purchase the paradigm cc370 which sounds good (demoed at someones house). it sounds like it would be better than mine, but because its a different brand than my floorspeakers, will it sound bad all together? Thank you

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You really need the matching center that was designed to go with your R/L mains. The center channel and subwoofer are your two most important speakers by FAR. If your center channel isn't voice matched to your R/L mains, you could easily have something like this.... the booming bass voice of James Earl Jones as Darth Vader starts in your left channel and as he pans center screen, he sounds like Tiny Tim that's been castrated only to go back to the deep bass voice as it pans right.

Or a less extreme example.... you have clear dialog in your left channel, then it goes ultra quiet across the center channel (due to different drivers, different crossover design, different efficiency of the speaker etc.) to the point you can hardly hear it (so you turn the volume way up) and then BAM it's so loud when it pans right or back left.... you jump for the remote to turn it back down.

Simply NOT a good idea IMHO to mix & match brands or even higher/lower lines within a brand. I would eliminate the center all together and run a phantom center before I would mish-mash the front sound stage.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
You can have a $5000 CC matched to $200 fronts or vice versa, it still wouldn't sound as good as the $200 fronts matched with the recommended CC from that same brand as the fronts.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Okay,same topic,what about rear surrounds? Can they be miss match?

Because most or some people want mono pole surrounds or dipole surround speakers. Or surround speakers don't matter if there match with the front stage?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 /forum/post/16980621

Okay,same topic,what about rear surrounds? Can they be miss match?

Because most or some people want mono pole surrounds or dipole surround speakers. Or surround speakers don't matter if there match with the front stage?

Sure.... with surrounds you can pretty much do whatever you want. Unless you are into serious SACD or multi-channel music, the surrounds aren't nearly as critical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts