AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of advice. I recently moved into a new house. First thing I did was buy a Sony 60" TV. Now I need the audio components. The room is pretty large - 20 x 25 at least with ten foot ceilings & a wood floor. It opens onto the kitchen. The TV is mounted in a built in wall unit. There is already a couple of ceiling mounted rear speakers I'll use for now.

I've pretty much decided on a Yamaha 661 receiver & need input on speakers. So I'm really looking for sub, center & a couple of bookshelf fronts. I want to keep it under $500. I've been looking at the Polks, but would like some advice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good luck finding anything decent for $500. That's a large room for that budget. Polks are pretty good, but you're going to lose a lot of the sound. Also, keep in mind, that that Yamaha receiver does not do any HD audio codecs from BluRay or HD DVD players over HDMI. There are ways around this, but just keep it in mind.

Go with the Polks if you really can't spend more than the $500 or try and find some speakers on clearance. All the old Boston Acoustic stuff is on clearance right now. might find some great deals. Good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My opinion, you have a kickin' Sony big screen but are skimping on the most important part of the experience. $500 really just barely gets you a decent sub for that amount of room. I think the advice you'll get is to save more/budget more for a package worthy of your screen and room size.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not exactly experienced in audio all that much myself but it sounds to me like you'd be better off just getting fronts with that budget and adding along the way as budget permits. For $500, check out Fry's for some Polk RTi10's or RTi12's or the eD 6T6 Towers direct from eD as a good choice from what I've heard and read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts