AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well, I am building another HT system and choose to use the SR71 as mains and surrounds, but I am stuck on what center to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
753 Posts
Like you, I'm thinking of buying the SR71 kit for the front L/R speakers. You could also do another one for the center to match all three, that according to Adam Johnson at Madisound. He also told me that the Seas Loki MKII could work well for the center speaker.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
No, just aim the left and right inwards a bit and forget the center channel. The SR71 has excellent off axis response so the center channel info will sound 'on center' without the horizontal dispersion weakness or beaming of a conventional center channel. You've probobly noticed with 2 channel music how the vocals 'float' in the middle of the room?......same thing with Phantom center.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting...I'll try that and see. What about the settings for sound output in this configuration? Should I select 5.1? Would it still sound good?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygylock /forum/post/18189830

Interesting...I'll try that and see. What about the settings for sound output in this configuration? Should I select 5.1? Would it still sound good?

your receiver should have a phantom center setting, so it should take what ever you feed it and convert it to 4.1

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygylock /forum/post/18189830

try it; I'm currently using a phantom center and for my situation sounds much better than any other configuration I've tried. As long as you disable the center in your AVR it will split the outout to your mains.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/18190037

your receiver should have a phantom center setting, so it should take what ever you feed it and convert it to 4.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero /forum/post/18190131

As long as you disable the center in your AVR it will split the outout to your mains.

This is good to know. I recently made the switch to phantom center (couldn't afford to build a third speaker yet) and have not regretted it one bit. We've watched a couple movies without it making a noticeable difference (although our room is laid out conveniently for this setup - either you're near the center or you're close enough to the left/right speaker that a center channel wouldn't help anyway
)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts