AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if a decent center channel could be used up front for all 3. I'm looking at the Focal 800v but placing all 3 vertically behind an AT screen.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You usually will get better sound quality and especially imaging from a pair of tower or bookshelf speakers.

Focal makes very good speakers, but I think that is a rather bad idea.

The 800v is not designed to be used vertically.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I looked at the speaker again and noticed the tweeter looks like it's designed for a horizontal setup. Ideally I would like 3 bookshelf speakers across the front but most are offered in pairs so that's why I thought of going with 3 centers. I haven't noticed anyone doing this so that must be for a reason

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
MUsic Direct has a great special on the 714V speakers.

A pair of those plus the cc700v would be a nice combination.

Or, if you don't want tower speakers, the 806V speakers.

If you are going to use stands, don't get flimsy wood stands; get the SANUS STEEL foundations stands or something equally strong and rigid for good coupling to the floor.

It also helps to put steel birdshot or sand in the vertical columns for more mass and damping.

Good stands make a HUGE difference in speaker performance; the difference between poor sound and excellent sound in many cases.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be building a false wall for my screen so I'll most likely frame in some custom stands for the speakers. I've been eyeing the deals at music direct, they look pretty good. These speakers are for a dedicated theater and I have 2 SVS PB-2000 subs for all my low end so that's why I don't mind going with decent bookshelf speakers. I am liking that center though I've never heard anything focal makes.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Focal makes some really really good speakers; nice sound quality!

You might want to check out some of the past reviews on them at the Stereophile website, or look up some Focal speaker reviews onllne.

·
Premium Member
13,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24489074

I will be building a false wall for my screen so I'll most likely frame in some custom stands for the speakers. I've been eyeing the deals at music direct, they look pretty good. These speakers are for a dedicated theater and I have 2 SVS PB-2000 subs for all my low end so that's why I don't mind going with decent bookshelf speakers. I am liking that center though I've never heard anything focal makes.
If you're building a false wall, use an acoustically transparent, (AT), screen and place the CC behind it. Then you don't need to use a "center" speaker; you can use a 3rd speaker identical to the L/R's. This will provide the best opportunity for a proper timbre-match across the front soundstage.

The woven AT screens have excellent acoustic transparency and don't require any EQ.

Agreed that Focal makes excellent speakers, especially their beryllium tweeters.

Craig

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24489289

Focal makes some really really good speakers; nice sound quality!

You might want to check out some of the past reviews on them at the Stereophile website, or look up some Focal speaker reviews onllne.
That's all I've been doing lately ha. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with them, just gotta figure out which line.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24489314

If you're building a false wall, use an acoustically transparent, (AT), screen and place the CC behind it. Then you don't need to use a "center" speaker; you can use a 3rd speaker identical to the L/R's. This will provide the best opportunity for a proper timbre-match across the front soundstage.

The woven AT screens have excellent acoustic transparency and don't require any EQ.

Agreed that Focal makes excellent speakers, especially their beryllium tweeters.

Craig

This is exactly what I'm doing but I can't seem to find 3 identical speakers that aren't towers. Or if I find towers I like they only come in pairs. I'd love to have all 3 up front be the same but it might not happen

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Look into the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SEs. They will sell you a third individually.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've looked at those as well, for some reason they don't jump off the page for me. I think I'd be ok with a pretty good center that costs more than my cheap Polk cs10

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24489636

I've looked at those as well, for some reason they don't jump off the page for me. I think I'd be ok with a pretty good center that costs more than my cheap Polk cs10

Yeah, well, they are not being sold for aesthetics, which shouldn't matter if going behind a screen. Try reading this review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478626/ascend-acoustic-5-1-setup-review

And no. Most center would be a poor choice as they are designed for horizontal placement, not vertical. Bad choice just go with any of them, IMO, because the sound disbursement will be wrong. You could look for LCR speakers which are designed for vertical or center placement. Or find speakers that are sold as each.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24490135

Yeah, well, they are not being sold for aesthetics, which shouldn't matter if going behind a screen. Try reading this review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478626/ascend-acoustic-5-1-setup-review

And no. Most center would be a poor choice as they are designed for horizontal placement, not vertical. Bad choice just go with any of them, IMO, because the sound disbursement will be wrong. You could look for LCR speakers which are designed for vertical or center placement. Or find speakers that are sold as each.

I didn't mean they weren't jumping off the page for me visually. Just more in general but I really haven't spent a lot of time researching them. I'm leaning towards Focal but I'm still keeping my options open.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Look into the Funk Audio 6.1 , since Nathan custom builds these he would likely sell you 3.

Since you have an AT, 3 identical is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24490567

Look into the Funk Audio 6.1 , since Nathan custom builds these he would likely sell you 3.

Thank you I'll check those out

Since you have an AT, 3 identical is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24488946

...Ideally I would like 3 bookshelf speakers across the front but most are offered in pairs so that's why I thought of going with 3 centers. I haven't noticed anyone doing this so that must be for a reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24489340

... but I can't seem to find 3 identical speakers that aren't towers. ... I'd love to have all 3 up front be the same but it might not happen

If you call a dealer (or manufacturer) directly you can sometimes snag a single. I've done this successfully a few times.

+ 1 getting three identical speakers LCR across the front. Since it's often easier to buy 2 pair instead of 3 individual there are some options re the left-over 4th speaker - keep it as a backup, use it as a music monitor in another room, use it as a single "rear surround" speaker in a 6.1 setup (I did that for a while and it sounded great).

The Focal Chorus 800 series are very nice speakers, but if you're open to other speakers where getting a 3rd is easier ...

- +1 the Ascend CMT-340's mentioned earlier

- Ascend Sierra 1's (they currently have some B-stock to save $, the center is identical to the LR mains except for the rotated tweeter - just ask them to "un" rotate it back)

- Arx A1rx-c (will sell a single if you call, slightly less expensive but still good)

- Arx A2rx-c Center (same tweeter note as the Ascends, these speakers are designed to be used both vertically and horizontally)

- KEF Q200c or Q600c (a center that works both vertically and horizontally)

- JBL Studio 530 (JBL will sell singles if you call)

Sure there are others that just aren't coming to mind at the moment

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24491895

If you call a dealer (or manufacturer) directly you can sometimes snag a single. I've done this successfully a few times.

+ 1 getting three identical speakers LCR across the front. Since it's often easier to buy 2 pair instead of 3 individual there are some options re the left-over 4th speaker - keep it as a backup, use it as a music monitor in another room, use it as a single "rear surround" speaker in a 6.1 setup (I did that for a while and it sounded great).

The Focal Chorus 800 series are very nice speakers, but if you're open to other speakers where getting a 3rd is easier ...

- +1 the Ascend CMT-340's mentioned earlier

- Ascend Sierra 1's (they currently have some B-stock to save $, the center is identical to the LR mains except for the rotated tweeter - just ask them to "un" rotate it back)

- Arx A1rx-c (will sell a single if you call, slightly less expensive but still good)

- Arx A2rx-c Center (same tweeter note as the Ascends, these speakers are designed to be used both vertically and horizontally)

- KEF Q200c or Q600c (a center that works both vertically and horizontally)

- JBL Studio 530 (JBL will sell singles if you call)

Sure there are others that just aren't coming to mind at the moment
I've looked at all of those except the KEF you mentioned.  I can get the JBL for $250 ea on Amazon but you say JBL will send me a single?  It was on my list to do today to e-mail them and ask if this were possible.  I've heard many good things about them but have never heard anything by JBL.  Thanks for the response, it's appreciated. 

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You could also do what I did...

...convince a friend to do the same thing and split a pair to each get a centre (in our case it was KEF iQ3).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24492557

You could also do what I did...

...convince a friend to do the same thing and split a pair to each get a centre (in our case it was KEF iQ3).
That's a good idea but I don't have anyone who'd want to do that. You in need of another iQ3?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1522779/center-used-as-mains#post_24492615

That's a good idea but I don't have anyone who'd want to do that. You in need of another iQ3?

You could always buy 3 pairs of something, have the ultimate matching 5.0 and a spare in case something blows down the road...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts