AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Deftech BP2002's and want to know your opinion on whether or not I should get the CLR2002 to match or one with a subwoofer built-in like the CLR2300.

I don't plan on using a stand-alone sub since the towers have 1 sub each already.

thanks

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Too many subs can be bad, if they end up cancelling each other.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
Too many subs can be bad, if they end up cancelling each other.
Thats what I thought originally but my local audio guy told me to consider a cube if I don't get the center with built-in sub.

The bass from my towers (BP2002) alone already rattles the dishes upstairs and didn't think a cube was necessary.

I told my audio guy I didn't want a cube - that's when he told me to consider the CLR2300 center (built-in powered sub) instead of the CLR2002 center (mids and tweeter only).

I have heard of setups with my towers and a stand alone sub - it does seem excessive but maybe if you place the sub in the rear of the room it would serve a purpose.

It's confusing....:confused:

edit: the 2300 and the 2002 are both timbre matched to my fronts according to a review I found. But they didn't test the sub-powered one - pretty good review. How credible are magazine reviews though......(rhetorical question).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you can demo them both, that would probably be the best bet. I have the CLR2002 paired with 2002tl's and I think it does its job very well. Of course I also have a SVS PB2+.

I go back and forth sometimes with how I setup the speakers. Sometimes I run the 2002tl's as large, sometimes I cross everything at 60hz, sometimes at 80hz.

And actually, the CLR2500 is a better match for the 2002's than the clr2300. The 2300 has 4.5 inch midranges, the 2500 has 5.25 inch, same as the 2002tl's.

I think you will be happy with whatever decision, but I would listen to them before spending extra on the center with a built in sub.

Neal

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
IMHO, you would only be wasting money going with a center with a "sub" built-in. The "subs" that Def Tech puts in their speakers do not go low, aren't clean, and don't play very loudly.

I say go get a good sub, not a supercube (don't get me wrong, I really like DT speakers, but their subs fall quite short). I'd suggest looking at a HSU subwoofer. I run a pair of TN1220HO subs myself.

I have a CLR2002 and it is a great speaker. I also agree with pgatour that the clr2002 and clr2500 are better matches than the 2300.

Sorny

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jenspetermeyer,

I agree with most but feel you should check into the 2500 or 3000. Both these center channels are way better than the 2300 and 2002. You will be able to integrate the 2500 or 3000 into your system with out any problems.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I have a similar system with powered Infinity Intermezzos and a Hsu VTF-3R. I cross over to the sub at 60hz. I found a big difference upgrading to the powered 'mezzo center from the passive 37c. The "built in" subs help greatly from 60 to 100hz. YMMV...

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.