AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up my PJ right now and I have set all the adjustments to zero. Is there any way to get the test patterns in the dead center of the raster without using any of the electronic adjustments.

I have tried to do that using the astig magnets but than I could not get proper focus. I tried to move some of the coils on the tubes around but that does not help.

The reason I want to do this is I want to use as much raster as possible, so I need everthing real close to center to start with. And if I shift the image with the electronic controls, the red tube would use 100% of the available shift and still could use more.

NEC XG 110

Thanks Deron

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vern.

I adjusted the phase but that seems to only move the image within the confines of the image. I want to move the image from right to left on the raster to get it centered before I use any electronic controlls to fine tune it.

Is this a tolerance that the factory has that I have to live with.

I'm trying to use as much of the raster as possible with the RGB size for width turned up to 95% and still be away from the edge of the raster.

Thanks Deron

·
Registered
64 Posts
To move the whole raster you use raster centering control in the referance adjustment menu. This may be what you are using, there are many ways to move the image. You need to enter passcode "3151" to access the referance menu.

I have the same projector and could easily move the raster off or make it larger than the tube. You should be able to use as much raster as you want.

Be sure to jack up the brightness so you can see the full raster and not just the active image area. There is going to be front and back porch guard area on both sides of the image. I believe that the internal test patterns are centered on the full raster and not the image area. Image shift has to be used to get the image in the center of the raster after the raster centering is done. With all that the test pattern and internal patters should match.

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Do this.

1. Zero the static controls for red, green, blue on mid point. Mark the center point of your screen. Connect an external signal source of the scan freq you are setting up.

2. Turn contrast way way down and then raise brightnes to make the actual raster light up. This is NOT the image area. This is the raster area which is wider than the image.

3. Go into the reference adjustments and use raster centering to center the rasters on the phosphor. Look into the lenses to see what you are doing.

4. Use phase control to center the internal patterns left/right on the raster. Also adjust the cursor to center on the middle vertical line of the phase adjust pattern. Again do this looking into the lenses.

5. Recheck mechanical gun aim and adjust as needed. Redo lens rings and focus if necessary.

6. Go back to normal brightness and a half normal contrast setting. Coarse tune the internal cross hairs to align on the exact center of your screen. It should only be a tiny move if you did steps 4 and 5 correctly.

7. Display an external center cross pattern and use the Pos control to center the external pattern on the screen.

8. Use the static controls to fine tune the external crosshatch centering.

9. Now the raster is centered on phosphor and BOTH internal and external patterns are centered on both the screen and raster. Bascially, this lines all three up simultaneously.

10. Continue with the rest of geometry and convergence adjustments.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Quick note, when marking the center points of your screen, mark using masking tape cut into an arrow shape, DO NOT put the tape on the actual screen material. Put it on the frame, Top & Bottom, both sides...then use the crosshairs, they should intersect the tape arrows.

Also you can use a click or two of Horizonal raster centering to align vertical lines of Red & Blue crosshairs...you will use Vertical raster centering to bring horizonal lines of crosshairs into convergence.

Use a minimal amount of Static Convergence, keep it below +/- 5...reason being Static Convergence is a high voltage adjustment, Raster Centering is low voltage adjustment.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Actually I do mark the center on the screen material. However, I use ONLY 3M blue quick release masking tape cut into a triangle and placed very lightly. Come off cleanly if you don't leave it a long time. A more adhesive tape might mar the screen. By marking exact center on the frame and the screen center you can very quickly see and correct bow and tilt problems of the center cross.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I go to the raster centering screen it will only let me move the raster up and down. I can not figure out how to move it right to left. Which is the critical part. Should I be able to move it right and left in the raster centering screen? I have the manual but page 128 on raster centering is unreadable. I have tried downloading the manual from Nec and one other site but I can not get a good page 128. What does that page say?

Thanks Deron

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I think you might have a unit which requires a different service level pass code to get full access to the reference adjustments. If you have the wrong level authorization you won't have motion in all axes. Try the longer code 315151 instead of 3151. WARNING - you can majorly make a mess in the reference adjust menu so go into ref adjust only if you are well versed with the projector. Be careful in there.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not understand how to enter this access code. I have the passcode disabled and it does not ask me for any entrance code. I can not find a place to enter one. I can only get as far as the raster centering screen that lets me move the raster up and down.

I can move the image with image shift though. But this is what I believe you do after setting all the convergence settings. And are projecting your video image.

Does anyone have page 128 for raster centering.

Thanks Deron

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Reenable the entry code. If you don't have the projector ask for a code you will never be able to enter the servie pass code and gain full acces to the full set of controls.

I have already outlined above, a much more complete centering sequence than in the manuals.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Probably the biggest difference is that the G70 does not have a phase control with which you center the internal pattern in the raster. Simply Center the raster and then use the image Shift control to center the image in the raster. Then use an external test pattern to do the rest of the alignment. Sometimes you can force the internal pattern into alignment with the external by altering the Center control for the raster, but it the distance is too far off you'll pull the raster off center.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help. I was able to access the right controls for raster centering. With that done I was able to converge the PJ.

I liked the way NEC has this PJ set up for convergence. I was able to get it dialed in and I have not gone into point convergence yet.

One thing I noticed was. I used a blue tube that has alot of text burn on it, I mean this thing is toast. But when I put some video through it, it was there but not all that noticeable.

Deron

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yes, try to stay away from Point Convergence, the more you use, the less stable the Convergence will be.

Use Amplitude, Linearity (outer areas), Linear Balance (inner areas), Keystone, Key Blance, Pin Cushion and Pin Balance...if you get those right Point touchup should be very limited, or none at all.

Also, some find they get a finer converge by shutting the Blue gun off, while converging Red on Green...then shutting Green gun off and turning Blue back on, to converge Blue on Red.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.