AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a centerstage CS-1 on yahoo! for $1388 plus shipping. Anyone found one cheaper, or does anyone think the CS-1 will be cheaper once the CS-2 ships?

Thanks,

Jonathan

·
Registered
753 Posts
There is no planned price change for the CS-1. If you are seeing a price of $1388 then chances are they are not an authorized reseller and probably buying gray market. We have very few online "internet" authorized resellers. All authorized resellers have to follow a MAP Minimum advertised price. SO be careful when buying online, you may get a great deal but they won't be there to support you when things go wrong. If you want a list of authorized resellers or distributors you can look it up on our website, choose Home Theater dealer as the type of dealer. A few of our online resellers are AV Science and TV Authority, they both have great support and return policies.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ironhead,

B&H Photo Video's latest catalog (Dec 2002, page 115) features the CS-1 for a special price of $1399.95 (no tax outside NY). 800-947-1175 Quick dial # 821

I have no affiliation with B&H (who is a B&M, phone & internet reseller) other than receiving good service from them on past camera purchases. Just wanted to validate your price, but please keep in mind that both AV Science and TVA are supporting sponsors of this forum.

·
Registered
753 Posts
This was a miss print. FYI

·
Registered
506 Posts
FE,

Given your post, I called B&H and was quoted $1399.95 for the CS-1 without my even mentioning the December catalog. B&H again confirmed that they are an authorized dealer and will accept orders at $1399. (some misprint...)

I understand your interest in protecting dealers' margins, but it's also important to be honest with the AVS forum members.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am being honest. They are suppose to be adhering to our UMAP policy which is $1699 for the CS-1. This means that they are not suppose to advertise for less than this price. They did obviously. I am sure that next months catalog and the price on the website is $1699. By the way MAP doesn't mean that they can't sell it for lower they just can't advertise for lower.

·
Registered
506 Posts
FE,

I'm sure you had good intentions but thought your statements of "chances are they are not an authorized reseller" and "this was a misprint" could have the effect of being misleading as they imply that a

Instead, it sounds like we agree that the CS-1 actually sells for $1399 (online or by phone) but must be advertised for $1695 or greater due to Focus's policy.

For completeness, B&H website "advertises" the CS1 @ $1695. However, there is not an online ordering option without pressing the "Email me a better price" button. Clicking the button results in the following email being sent (calling results in a $1399 verbal quote):

Dear valued customer,

Our current selling price for the: Focus Enhancements - CS-1 Center Stage Video Processor

is $1,399.95, to purchase this item at this price, click below:

If the above link does not work, please copy and paste this code

oyFOCS1528

into our search box located on the top of the page throughout our

web site.

Thank you for shopping at B&H Photo Video

The B&H Web Team
www.bhphotovideo.com

420 Ninth Avenue

New York, NY 10001

800-606-6969

212-444-6615

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FE
I am being honest. They are suppose to be adhering to our UMAP policy which is $1699 for the CS-1. This means that they are not suppose to advertise for less than this price. They did obviously. I am sure that next months catalog and the price on the website is $1699. By the way MAP doesn't mean that they can't sell it for lower they just can't advertise for lower.
B&H did not advertising it for lower when I was looking. They had an invitation to email for special pricing. The email then revealed the lower price, which should be playing by the MSRP rules, right?

RJ

·
Registered
753 Posts
B&H is absolutely an authorized dealer however they are not categorized as a Home Theater reseller they are a Pro AV reseller (not that this matters) However I am sure that many Home Theater authorized resellers such as TV Authority and AV Science can compete very well with B&H and offer great support for Home Theater customers. B&H has great customer service but they do not specialize in higher end home theater installations. This is the point that I wanted to make. Yes the email method is a loop hole that allows dealers to sell for less than MAP this is something that we can not control since this would be price fixing. The reason for MAP is because installers that provide installation and higher levels of support require more margin than box houses. This has always been an issue for as long as I can remember even when I was in the computer industry 8 years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.