AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed an article about HDTV in today's Montgomery Advertiser. It seemed fairly accurate although the news about upcoming HDTV was not all that promising. The local ABC station is on the air but at very low power

with their digital signal. APT has been testing and I have received their signal, they will be on the air full time later this fall. WSFA maybe by the end of the year or the first of next year. WAKA by the end of 2004, maybe (they had told me a little while ago by the end of 2003). Maybe WNCF and APT will put some pressure on the other stations, but WAKA appears to be willing to hold out as long as possible. The only positive I can see about WSFA is they said they are waiting until they can start up with a full power signal as opposed to WNCF. I guess it's a good news/bad news scenario.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am on Lke Martin (Dadeville) area and trying to find out if anyone is getting Montogmery or Birmingham stations OTA and what equipment they are using.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live a little North of Montgomery (between Wetumpka and Millbrook) and I get sparodic reception of NBC and CBS from B'ham (have very limited reception of WB and UPN from B'ahm-but I never watch those stations anyway). The B'ham reception is only at night and sometimes in the morning. I am using a 7ft parabolic Antennacraft antenna on my roof peak. You should be able to pull in the B'ham stations with a good fringe area antenna. APT in Montgomery is testing and I have been able to get a very good signal from them from the backside of my antenna when they are on the air (I don't have a rotor on my antenna). The ABC station is on the air but at, apparently, a very low power. I have only gotten it briefly. If I moved my antenna around I might be able to get it but I would loose CBS and NBC from B'ham and I watch very little on ABC. I am about 90 miles from the towers on Red Mountain. I think you would be somewhat closer and you might get excellent reception from B'ham (although at over 60 miles the curvature of the earth comes into play). Right now, you can wait until the Montgomery stations get up to power (NBC plans to start broadcasting at full power around the first of the year so you should have no problems with them and APT and WNCF (ABC) if they increase their power. WAKA (CBS) isn't even on the radar screen. I think it would be worth a try for you to go for B'ham--I've gotten to watch enough network programming in HD to make it worth my while. Stan

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the past three days I have received a very strong signal from WNCF (no video or audio dropouts). I've only received the station before very sparodically and then it was a very weak signal. I assume that they have finally increased their power. That coupled with the news that APT is rolling out their digital signal statewide (they have been in a testing mode)

is some good news (finally) for Central AL HD. Now if the other stations would get their acts together and go on and get their signal up, although there is no hope for WAKA until at the earliest the end of 2004 (and even then is doubtful). At least I can get CBS and NBC from B'ham a good deal of the time (just not during the day so I miss CBS's HD SEC game of the week.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just scanned again and I am getting a signal from WCOV-FOX (20-1). It is fairly week, so I assume WCOV must be at a fairly low power. That will give us 3 digital signals on the air (if WCOV is really on the air full time).

WCOV and APT are transmitting HD signals while FOX will only be doing 480P until next fall (I guess WCOV will transmit the 480P widescreen signal). Anyway, things are looking a little better for this area.

Note: Just received an e-mail reply from WCOV. They are at very low power and will be for some time. They are looking at ways to "implement"

FOX's 480p and, when available (hopefully) this Fall, it's 720P signal. At least they have a digital signal up even though it is at very low power and is only 480i,

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just scanned and am getting APT (27-1--HD, 27-2--DT, 27-3--?) at 100% signal strength. WNCF is 69% but strong enough for a perfect picture.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For about a week I have gotten no sound on APT 26-1 (26-2 is fine). The picture is great but there is no sound. Is anybody else havng this problem?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad it's not just me. I still haven't heard back from Charlie Grantham at APT about the problem. Hopefully, they will get the problem resolved soon.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tomtb2
I rebooted my system after clearing the zip code & the sound came back on 26-1.
What receiver do you have? I have the Samsung 160 and after doing the reset to factory default and recanning channels I got the audio back. If I enter my zip code and do the local network thing I loose the audio. This receiver seems very sensitive to the PSIP signal.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems to just be a problem with the Samsung 160. Something about the PSIP signal from APT after they replaced a board seems to cause problems for the receiver. I corresponded with someone in B'ham that was having the same problem there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did any of you guys lose the signal from 32-1 last night. I lost it and it seemed to jump over to 51-2, reran the setup this morning and it was back fine. Also is everything still on schedule for Feb-March setup on NBC and UPN. I'm hoping that the summer Olympics will be in HDTV. Anything new on CBS or are they still crying about lack of funds?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, I lost 32-1 last night too. 32-1 seems to disappear quite often. The Ravens-Titan game looked great today. It is a shame that tomorrow's NFL games are not available locally in HD. Games in SD are almost painful to watch now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't have alot of problems w/ 32-1. Having HD on ESPN and ABC makes watching games on CBS almost unbearable. I couldn't even watch the SEC championship game the picture was so bad. Games tonight have been awesome even though my Cowboys are getting hammered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.