AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The second Central Florida HD Society meeting was held today at WKMG TV. Our special thanks go out to our host chief engineer Frank Torbert who gave a great tour of the station complete with hand outs explaining the complex world of PSIP. You can download a pdf version of the PSIP flowchart here .

The tour was very informative with Frank doing a nice job explaining the facility in layman's terms and answering questions on a variety of topics. A special treat was the original transmitter for WDBO AM on display and sections of the actual tv transmission antenna brought in from the transmitter site for our tour. Frank said a lot of nice things about the early digital adopters and we appreciated the special permission he had to get for our tour post Sept. 11.

I will post more info soon with links to the WKMG tour pictures and dates and times for our next meeting.

Thanks to all who took time out of their busy holiday weekend.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Did anyone have problems recording CSI last night?

When I got home last night around 10pm, my wife informed me that when she checked at 915pm, the computer (accessdtv card) was not recording and was on the wrong channel.

I double checked the recording schedule and it is correct. I thought of two other possibilities:

1) A random IR stopped the recording and changed the channel. (very unlikely)

2) WKMG-DT was off the air at 9pm.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the same thing this evening good thing I had my satellite back up for ABC HD!:) Maybe WFTV-DT is preparing to add WRDQ-DT to the tower. If they aren't up by Monday Afternoon I will send John an email to see what is going on. In case anyone is interested in sending comments to these stations related to technical issues here is the list of emails I have compiled. I thought I would post them again since it has been awhile. Barry, maybe you could add the Orlando ones to the orlandodigital website.

Tonight, I sent WRBW an email about picture quality (41.1 is too bright and overcompressed). I also have found out recently that UPN is preparing to begin distribution of new satellite equipment to affiliates. The new equipment consists of 2 DSR 4810 digicipher 2 4:2:2 satellite receivers the same kind CBS currently uses for HD. Could mean UPN is gearing up to do some HD next season. CBS will be handling UPN distribution beginning this summer and so there is a good chance if the UPN program master is available in HD CBS will distribute it to UPN affiliates that way.

Orlando station's emails:

WFTV/WRDQ: [email protected]

WKMG: [email protected]

WESH: [email protected]

WOFL: [email protected]

WRBW: [email protected]

WKCF: [email protected]

WMFE: [email protected]

WCEU: [email protected]

WBCC: [email protected]

Tampa:

WFLA: [email protected]

WEDU: [email protected]

Jax:

WTLV/WJXX: [email protected]

WJXT: [email protected]

WTEV/WAWS [email protected]

Miami/WPB:

WFOR, WBFS, WTVX: [email protected]

WFLX: [email protected]

WPBF: [email protected]

WTVJ: [email protected]

Ft Myers:

WINK: [email protected] .

·
Registered
846 Posts
I was under the impression the reason WKMG (and other CBS stations) don't do DD5.1 is because CBS can't provide it or distribute it. CBS needed to do a lot of upgrading of the NY studios and equipment in between. I think I read this in a magazine interview with Lee Wood last year. I believe the article said the stations could pass DD5.1 if they received it.

Good news for UPN, WRBW has some work to do to get ready.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barry + Rich,

The new equipment I referred to is not for CBS affiliates it is for UPN affiliates. CBS and UPN are both owned by Viacom and now CBS will be handling the UPN satellite network distribution using the current CBS satellite distribution infrastructure which is HD capable. The current UPN satellite distribution system is not HD capable. This is why this is such big news!

WRBW's Robert Fusco says:

As far as CBS's plan for HDTV distribution, the equipment will be in place, but no word yet on program distribution.

In other words he doesn't know what UPN programs if any will be available in HD. To soon to tell I guess. The good news is that they will at least have the capability for next season.

As far as the other picture quality issue with WRBW, Robert Fusco says:

"I recommend you watch 41-2 until we start airing true HDTV programming. The up-conversion from analog to SDI then to HDTV is pushing it, also the format fits better. "

I guess he doesn't plan to fix the real problem! Not much of a solution. I guess he has finally confirmed that they don't have an all digital STL since he uses the dreaded "analog" word.

CBS is also investing in new equipment from what I have read so perhaps then they will be doing 5.1. Here is a link about that.
http://www.tvtechnology.com/dailynews/one.php?id=158

In other news I have just received email from WEDU-DT 54 PBS Tampa. Here it is, as I have mentioned elsewhere fringe reception of this signal should be good since they are doing 1000 kw and they are up at 1500'

Here is the email:

Monday, April 29th, we are shooting for a pretty full day.

During the subsequent days following, we may be on and off as we

connect things like remote control, monitoring, protection circuits, etc...

Regards,

Frank V. Wolynski

VP Engineering & Operations

WEDU-TV

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got word from John at WFTV:

"We've had a transmitter failure on DT. Parts should be here Tuesday.

WRDQ-DT is scheduled for Installation in June. My best guess is Mid-July for on-air.

Sorry for the problems with WFTV-DT."

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, they are back, but it seems that they are not transmitting at full power anymore. I am only getting a 60-70 BER and I used to get a 90. hopefully john will bring them back up to full power soon.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm still off fighting the war, but I'd be really surprised if we didn't pick it up. I'll see what I can find out.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great night for prop from the south.

Tonight I am showing the following readings

WSVN-DT 8 88 %

WFLX-DT 28 94 %

WFOR-DT 22 91 % That's right it is blowing WOFL-DT 22 away.

WBZL-DT 19 88 %

WPLG-DT 9 and WPBT-DT 18 both jammed by analog Orlando stations.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rich-

No and I haven't even seen even a trace of channel 54. I don't think they were OTA when I checked otherwise I would have locked it. I will check again tonight. Conditions from Tampa were awesome last night but no WEDU-DT!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.