AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I live out in Metamora Illinois a few miles outside of Peoria, and I'm currently a Dish Network subscriber. I'm having all kinds of issues with my antenna, and I eventually want to get the Digital stations when I get an HDTV receiver.

Here is all the info I can give you. If someone could please help me out by recommending what I need to do to make my situation better, I'd be eternally grateful. I've read tons of threads and I just get more and more confused. I've been to antennaweb.org and here is the information I've got.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

120 degrees, 17.1 Miles (Fox DT) Yellow

211 degrees, 11.0 Miles (PBS DT) Yellow

204 degrees, 09.9 Miles (CBS DT) Yellow

206 degrees, 10.4 Miles (NBC DT) Yellow

220 degrees, 10.1 Miles (ABC DT) Yellow

201 degrees, 03.1 Miles (UPN) Yellow

188 degrees, 08.8 Miles (UPN DT) Dark Green

206 degrees, 10.4 Miles (NBC) Dark Green

220 degrees, 10.1 Miles (ABC) Dark Green

211 degrees, 11.0 Miles (PBS) Dark Green

204 degrees, 09.0 Miles (CBS) Dark Green

120 degrees, 17.1 Miles (Fox) Light Green

201 degrees, 15.5 Miles (TBN) Dark Blue

My two best channels right now

------------------------------

120 degrees, 17.1 Miles (Fox) Light Green

150 degrees, 65.4 Miles (ABC in Springfield) Violet

*** Currently I'm using one of those TERK-TV44 clip on antennas for a quad LNB dish.

There is absolutely nothing in my neighborhood that should block transmission. It's a new division and there are hardly any trees and no buildings over 2 stories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, based on this info and my current position what do you guys recommend that I do? Do I just need to reposition my TERK? Should I replace it? What should I replace it with? What's the easiest/best way to set it up?

I can't get a straight answer from anyone. I feel like I've collected enough info to make a good choice, I just have no idea how to go about choosing a solution. Thank you so much for your help in advance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The clip-on Terk antennas are non-directional, and generally regarded here as very poor performance. Your dish is pointing south, and B/N Fox is east and Peoria's NBC/CBS/ABC/UPN/PBS is west. You could attempt to rotate the clip-on Terk 90 degrees, and might get reception (You would want the widest part of the antenna to pick up as much signal as possible. Currently the widest part of your antenna is pointing to Springfield and north)

Generally a Channel Master 4224 is the best bet for a UHF HDTV antenna. You would need a rotor or a/b switch to move between the Fox and the other stations, though.

You might also try getting an indoor Silver Sensor first if you do not want to deal with an outdoor antenna (From BB or Sears) then you can manually move the antenna to point to the correct tower. The silver sensor is extremely directional, so it might not pickup all the Peoria stations in one position, though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I wish there was a solution that didn't require rotating the antenna or repositioning an indoor antenna everytime I want to watch Fox. That just seems like such a hassle to setup. Thanks though.

I'll start by trying to adjust the Terk. The Peoria channels aren't unwatchable right now, there is just a lot of interference on a couple of the channels. Fox is crystal clear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know of anyone in the area that will not charge me an arm and a leg to get on my roof and adjust my antenna for me? I'm a little squemish about getting up on my roof.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Have you talked to the folks at American over in Peoria? They are by the new outdoor mall.

They have a map with the recommended anntennas for central illinois. They sell them and do installation too.

They also have the largest display of HDTVs I've ever seen in one place. Worth the trip over just to see what's available.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was over there, but didn't realize that they did antenna installation and gave recommendations and stuff. We are getting ready to buy some furniture from them, I'll check there stuff out next time I'm there. Thanks for the suggestion. I had no idea.

I just want someone who knows what they are doing to quote me a price that's reasonable, and come out and try stuff until they get it to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.