AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31,226 Posts
Leandro,

Instead of those combos, are you willing to consider three M3v2 or M2v2 speakers across the front, for some consistency in the front soundstage?

As for surrounds: where is your seating area? Near or against the back wall? Closer to the middle of the room?

Sanjay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/0

Leandro,

Instead of those combos, are you willing to consider three M3v2 or M2v2 speakers across the front, for some consistency in the front soundstage?

As for surrounds: where is your seating area? Near or against the back wall? Closer to the middle of the room?

Sanjay

I'm certainly willing to consider that option if it is considered a superior solution. I didn't realize that it was ..

my seating area is against the back wall, due to the small size of the room.

Cheers,

-Leandro

·
Registered
236 Posts
Most important: Center channel speaker

Next important: Subwoofer that isn't crap. If you like music or watch musicals you want a sub that is musical and quick. No long throw thumpers for you.

I was told that a 7.1 system is not at all necessary until you get rooms in the 25' to 35' range, so if you have rear surrounds that do anything at all I'd get

WAIT. By side speakers you mean your front L+R speakers!

1) What receiver to you have, what are your room dimensions and ceiling height, do you have rear surrounds now, do you have a subwoofer now, what is your viewing distance? 500 SF isn't a small room, it's really pretty large. I'd say 1500 CF is smallish and anything above 3000 CF is getting pretty large (i.e. two subs won't hurt a thing in any room larger than 3000 CF). 400 SF with an 8' ceiling is getting to be substantial in size (3200 CF), especially when considering which sub to purchase...

Generally though:

2) I'd get the better center channel speaker no matter what, as it will serve you for a long time (now matter how far up the food chain you upgrade your L+R speakers, as long as you stick with similarly voiced axioms).

3) For just $30 a pair additional, I'd do the M3 v2 speakers instead of the M2's.

·
Registered
31,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandro /forum/post/0

I'm certainly willing to consider that option if it is considered a superior solution. I didn't realize that it was ..

If I asked you to set up a 2-speaker system, you wouldn't use 2 similar speakers; you'd use 2 identical speakers for a consistent sounding front soundstage. No reason to change that way of thinking just because your soundstage is now made up of 3 speakers instead of 2.
Quote:
my seating area is against the back wall, due to the small size of the room.

In that case, I would get a couple of M2v2 speakers (irrespective of which Axiom model the fronts end up being). In this case they would work better than Axiom's dedicated surround models, where the rear firing tweeters would be jammed up against the back wall.

Place the surrounds in the back corners of the room, facing each other and mounted a couple of feet above ear level. The reflective surfaces of the corner will diffuse the sound and make the surround field more enveloping. The wide spread will help maintaing left-vs-right separation for soundtracks with stereo surround channels.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
236 Posts
"If I asked you to set up a 2-speaker system, you wouldn't use 2 similar speakers; you'd use 2 identical speakers"

Yes, but notice how center channel speakers are much more sophisticated (in 5.1 systems from higher end manufacturers) than the L+R speakers that come with those systems. They are "voiced similarly" (or, in most cases, exactly the same) but usually have more (individual) speakers than their L+R counterparts.

[Voiced similarly: for CC speakers in higher end 5.1 HTIMB's (home theater in many boxes!), the tweeters and midrange speakers are many times the exact same speakers as in the L+R cabinets, but there are just more of them in the CC speaker - and the dispersion design might be slightly different since the CC usually lays on its side.]

"my seating area is against the back wall, due to the small size of the room. "

"In that case, I would get a couple of M2v2 speakers"

I'm confused, what is meant by "a small room ?

A 400 SF room could be 18' x 22' - a pretty darn good sized room... Now, if leondro has a room that is 12' x 15' (180 SF), then that is an entirely different scenario. Even then, I'd spend $30 extra to get the M3's and I'd still recommend the better center channel speaker if he could afford it. BUT, in that case he wouldn't be disappointed with the smaller CC, it's just that the larger one might work for him in his next (larger) HT room too.

·
Registered
31,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelsFan /forum/post/0

They are "voiced similarly" (or, in most cases, exactly the same) but usually have more (individual) speakers than their L+R counterparts.

Would you settle for similar sounding speakers for the critical front soundstage when you could have the all the same sounding speakers? The only time I would use one of those dedicated centre speaker models is if it was a logistical problem to use three of the same speaker.
Quote:
Now, if leondro has a room that is 12' x 15' (180 SF), then that is an entirely different scenario. Even then, I'd spend $30 extra to get the M3's and I'd still recommend the better center channel speaker if he could afford it.

The M2v2 suggestion in my second post was for surround usage (I should have been clearer). But you're right, for a mere $30 more it would be worth getting the M3v2 speakers, even for surrounds.

Sanjay

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Personally, I am big fan of identical speakers across the front, I have three towers right now behind an AT screen but I must say, it doesn't have to be a compromise to have a specialized center channel. The Aerial Acoustics System 1 is the best sounding speaker system I have ever heard for HT, and it has a horizontal center channel. I cant even hear a difference between having a tower in the center as opposed to the center channel that matches my series of speakers. I can only tell a difference in the amount of mid bass and bass output and that is simply because the towers have two 8" woofers that the center doesn't.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/0

Personally, I am big fan of identical speakers across the front, I have three towers right now behind an AT screen but I must say, it doesn't have to be a compromise to have a specialized center channel.

AT screen certainly helps with placements issues, but it is not an option with people with projection TVs etc. Also for many people who do not have a dedicated HT room, most times center channel speaker placement becomes an issue and in those cases timbre matched horizontal center channel speakers makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I sort of stalled out in setting up my theater. My theater is in the Great Room and layout constraints prevent what I think I want to do for optimizing the room. Currently I am running a RC-7 center, two RF-7 R&L up front, and two RS-7s splitting the side walls.

I have a reasonably good sub that will soon be upgraded and I am running two rear speakers of modest quality.

Last year I purchased two more new RF-7s, two more RS-7s and another new RC-7. One day these speakers will be assigned to a true theater I intend to build in the basement, but that day is a ways off.

So I have a silly question about placement a choice of placement. First it is obvious that I have lots of choices and more good speakers than I actually need for even one two story large room.

One more piece of information. The 65 Mitsi sits on the long wall flanked by the two currrent RF's 7s. The two RS-35s are currently placed splitting the short walls on each side.

One sits on the large fireplace mantel and one sits on top of a Curio on the other wall. Neither is perfect placement, but as this is our main room, the wife has some say and she seems to feel that turning the room around to optimize the theater looks ugly. IUnfortuantely in that room she is probably is right.

So what should I do with all those Brand New extra speakers? 2 RF--7s, 2 RS-7s, 1 RC-7 all unused.

I could take the new RF-7s out of the box and use them as rears, leaving the RS-7 sitting on the mantel and curio. But I always think of the rear speakers as sort of loafing along with the fronts and sides doing much of the work on most movies, which are often 5.1. Am I wrong about this?

Maybe I could use the two RF-s as side speakers biased heavily toward the front side of the room but toed in? This would place one speaker next to the fireplace 1/4 of the way down the side wall and the other next to the curio 1/4 of the way down the wall. This would be a very front biased placement, but certainly in the direction I would be viewing.

Then the RS-7s could go in the rear of the room. I am not sure how to place them? Would I place them 3/4 back on the side wall? The RS-7 fires at two angles and has great sound, but I am never quite sure how to place them for best effect. I could angle them in the corners and then they would fire straight on on one speaker side (90 degrees down the wall?) and 45 degrees into the room. Sometimes I think this is an idea worth trying.

I am still stuck with an extra RC-7 and two extra RS-7s. I wonder how two RC-7s would sound up front? Wired in Parallel side by side, I would need to find a different stand to fit them in. Nobody makes Wide screen stands with plenty of electronic and speaker room. My guees is that this might take a bit of ingenuity, but if two RC-7 would improve the sound, I would figure something out.

I suppose that the two extra RS-7s could be used as ambiance speakers high on the walls up front?

I am open to any and all ideas? Anybody like to help this old man out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.