AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the centre rear speakers, for my 6.1 Discrete, system I am currently using 2 speakers. They are centre speaker type, as used by the centre channel on top of a TV.

I have garnered from many posts, that the best centre channel type speaker is at best, only able to spec out close to, but not equal to a "normal" upright speaker.

Therefore, would it not be best for me to exchange the 2 centre speakers & replace them with "normal" upright speakers?

·
Registered
30,373 Posts
Doug,
Quote:
...would it not be best for me to exchange the 2 rear centre speakers & replace them with "normal" upright speakers?
Personally, I'd try to match my side speakers. Whether you're using EX/ES decoding or some other type of back-channel processing, the content of the surround-back channel is made up of sounds extracted from the left & right surround channels. Since those sounds are going to be heard in both the sides and rears, I would try to get consistent sound from all four surround speakers. After all, content from the centre channel isn't what ends up in the rear speakers. Make sense?

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sanj,

Thanks (as always) for your answers.

However, Still thinking of my "old" RX-V1 - a 6.1 MATRIX system, I must correct my answer to indicate I have a RX-Z1 a 6.1 DISCRETE system, I know that your answer holds for EX, however; 1) what would be optimim for my 6.1 discreet speaker setup? & 2) Given that I have both the side & rear centre channel speakers along the back wall (I am also seriously re-thinking this array also).

·
Registered
30,373 Posts
Doug,

Same answer for ES 6.1 sources. Just as you'd want seamless integration in the front soundstage (centre and fronts), you should aim for the same uniformity in the surround field (sides and rears).

BTW, is there a reason that you can't place your side speakers directly to the sides of the listening position?

Sanj

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK Sanj, I decided to heed your inference & did as follows.

1) traded the 2 PSB centre type speakers for 2 Boston VR-MX.

2) I am now using the 2 Kenwood LS-X1F THX speakers as my rear centres.

3) I mounted the the 2 Boston VR-MX speakers on the side walls so the are now my rear/side surrounds.

Instant observations:

Sound field filled in & opened up in the whole room! More spatial.

I am more immersed in the film action.

Question:

The VR-MX's are a mirror image set if both the "diffuse" arrows on the backs face the front (towards the mains) they are diffuse speakers. If the "direct" arrows face front they are direct speakers.

I have them set as diffuse right now. Would this be considered the preffered/optimum setup?

WAF NOTE: So the lil' miss says (yet again) "I though you said a few months ago with the 2 rear centres that that was it"

So I bailed & I told her about Sanj & his advice - so now he is never allowed to visit here if ever he comes to Canada. (heh-heh!!-just kidding.)

BUT!! ...she watched Gladiator DTS 6.1 with me this pm & asked what I did, because the sound is different/better & she also likes it better because it is less loud.

·
Registered
30,373 Posts
Doug,
Quote:
I have them set as diffuse right now. Would this be considered the preffered/optimum setup?
Shouldn't your ears be the ones answering that question? ;)

When using 4 surround speakers, my personal preference is having direct radiators all around. When you have a free moment, try it both ways and compare direct vs diffuse, and see which one you like better. That's the best advice I can give: trust your ears.

Best,

Sanj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.