AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/14...l1_021110.html

It definitely has a Gladiator \\ King Arthur \\ 300 vibe to it, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited to see it! Michael Fassbender was excellent in Tarantino's film this past year (I have his other notable film 'Hunger' in my queue) and he certainly appears to be a formidable lead. Also Dominic West is always a good choice, imo. Anyway.. enjoy!

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Early word from a screening at SXSW over at Aint It Cool News:

CENTURION

DOG SOLDIERS and THE DESCENT I love from top to bottom. DOOMSDAY - if you're high or drunk it can be a blast. It can also be an assaultive experience that can grate on you a bit.

CENTURION is just ****ing great.

Essentially this is the story of the "legendary" Ninth Legion that apparently never existed, but if it had existed, this is essentially what may have happened. The story is epic. Thousands die. The Legion began with 3000 men. And well - it gets real bad.

And why is that?

Because the Picts were ****ing scary awesome badasses. The Roman legions had never quite encountered an enemy quite like this. Imagine if the Braveheart folks got a chance to whupass on the Roman Legion - that's the film.

The lead is Michael Fassbender who you may remember as being awesome in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, 300 and his best work in HUNGER. His character, Quintus Dias is the son of a legendary Gladiator who won his freedom. Which basically means his dad was a badass. And Quintus learned the art of war from him. The result is a really wonderful character.

The amazing Pict Ambush of the the entire Legion column is spectacular. Heads exploding with the power of the blows... giant balls of fire tearing through the ranks, heads split in half. limbs torn off... it's just amazing.

Olga Kurylenko plays this Pict warrior woman from hell. Perhaps one of the all time great badass women in history.

After the ambush, the Roman General is captured and the surviving men of the 9th try to rescue him, it goes badly - and the rest of the film is essentially BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID - but unlike that film - where we never really see Lord Baltimore - Olga's Virilus is in play. The result is a thrilling film. Throughout this first screening the tired SXSW audience shook the walls with applause after many of the action sequences.

This is a harder film than the series ROME that HBO gave us - but it fits exactly in that universe. It is playing a second time at SXSW - and I think I may very well go again. I liked it that much.

I'll write a fuller review as it approaches release, but you need to mark this film as something to keep your eye on. Neil Marshall has rose to the occasion yet again!

Neil committed to making Michael Fassbender do his entire commentary track as Christopher Walken - cuz apparently Fassbender does a KILLER WALKEN - and wouldn't that just ****ing be the bomb?

Alright - so the Fortune Cookie was right. The Ides of March were good to me - and ****... I even got a great Roman film on this Ides of March! Awesome!

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red-band trailer out... looks good!

&fs=1&hd=1" width="858" height="508">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&fs=1&hd=1" /> 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">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Saw this on TimeWarner HD Ondemand last night. It was a limited time preview that ended in my area on 8/26.

This was pretty good. Definitely had a strong 300 and King Arthur vibe. The main lead was in 300 ("then we'll fight in the shade") and the General was as well (as the Spartan traitor though). There were others I recognized but couldn't quite place. I knew Olga of course though.

Some beautiful cinematography and the story is pretty good, it's essentially a chase film.

Not for the squeamish, there is a lot of bladed violence in this. The director, Neil Marshall, made "The Descent" as well as "Dog Soldiers" both of which are mentioned in the promotion for this flick. I notice that they omit his "Doomsday" from that list though.

On a scale of similar films, I'd put this well below 300 or Gladiator...about level with King Arthur...and much higher than Pathfinder.

·
Registered
28,835 Posts
"We live united, or die divided."

Hmmmm, where have I heard something like that before? Ah yes: "We either live together or we'll die alone."

~Jack Shepard, neurosurgeon, castaway, Island Protector, purgatory dweller

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just saw it for free this week on HDNet Movies. Terrific film and the battle scenes were as good as others have stated. Only downside is that some of the CGI blood wasn't very convincing. But then, that has been the case in other films (RAMBO, SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD, etc.) where it was utilized as well.

Olga (who was mute) was one of the most intimidating femme fighters I've yet to see. Another winner for Neil Marshall.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 /forum/post/19109542

Only downside is that some of the CGI blood wasn't very convincing.

I agree but I really only noticed it on the slice-across-the-chest shots...which admittedly there were quite a few.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/19108820

"We live united, or die divided."

Hmmmm, where have I heard something like that before? Ah yes: "We either live together or we'll die alone."

~Jack Shepard, neurosurgeon, castaway, Island Protector, purgatory dweller

Actually, there is a good 'real' quote some of you may know from history.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Benjamin Franklin

or Richard Penn (depending on who you believe)

Chris.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Got around to watching my recording of the HDNet broadcast...

Impressed with the level of the video detail.

The contrasty, digital appearance may not appeal to everyone (stylistic choice IMO).

Audio seemed OK (although I listened to it on my 2ch. setup).

My impresssion of the movie itself can best be described as "meh."

Is this a pilot for a TV series?

It sure the heck feels like it.

Glad I didn't order the BD from Amazon.uk...

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Have it DVR'd. Watched first half. Good fun. Will watch the rest whenever I get around to it.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Watched it last night. A New Yorker favorable review whetted my appetite, and I thought it was pretty good for what it was, which was a variation on The Warriors (and among the last entry in the credits was for Walter Hill and "Zenophon" for inspiration- Xenophon's Anabasis being the foundation for both films). The Eagle, which is in the theaters now, covers pretty much the same quasi-historical situation.

I thought it a much less overbaked Gladiator, with more gore and much better pacing. I bought the Blu-ray at a Blockbuster sale and am glad I did so.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I liked this one too, but how often do you run into a foxy blonde witch in the middle of the forest that saves your ass.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/20142126

how often do you run into a foxy blonde witch in the middle of the forest that saves your ass.

Hopefully, every single time....

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I rented the BD, it worth maybe one viewing, it had too many problems to be anywhere near to be good. That Russian Olga "Kurajanko" is way overrated as well.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Good, schmood. It has Romans vs Pict barbarians with foxy female warriors and a fast pace. What does quality have to do with it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts