AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just courious if certain colors are more prone to cause IR or burn in compared to others. The reason why I ask if because to me with my plasma the color red causes IR more quickly then any other color. I notice this when I play games that have red icons and other icons that are different colors seem to take much longer before IR sets in. Just courious to see if I'm crazy...lol..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
Not crazy. On my Panasonic 50PX77U red also causes the quickest IR. I've noticed it in particular watching hockey on Comcast SportsNet here in Maryland. Their scoreboard on the top of the screen has some solid red elements that leave a glow afterwards. It goes away in 5-20 seconds or so, but nothing else causes such a reaction.


jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
i would think the brightest colors, but mainly white, would cause the biggest problem.


it's all about uneven wear. wait till you watch a blu-ray movie with letterbox bars.


my opinion, just watch the TV and try to forget about it. as long as pixel shift or the orbital thing is on you'll be fine. but the quicker you just forget about it the more you'll enjoy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish it were that easy for me and my plasma. For example I just got done playing a new Xbox 360 game I bought called Spyro. I played it for 30-40 minutes and it left a spot in the upper left hand corner from the health bar. I finished playing the game like 2hrs ago and it's still there. I get IR/slight burn on my set very easy. I hear many people on here say theirs is very hard to get IR or it goes away in seconds and I wish mine was like that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmember1978 /forum/post/16917462


I wish it were that easy for me and my plasma. For example I just got done playing a new Xbox 360 game I bought called Spyro. I played it for 30-40 minutes and it left a spot in the upper left hand corner from the health bar. I finished playing the game like 2hrs ago and it's still there. I get IR/slight burn on my set very easy. I hear many people on here say theirs is very hard to get IR or it goes away in seconds and I wish mine was like that

what tv is it?


how old is it?


do you have the "pixel shift" or "orbital" feature on?


what picture settings are you using? dynamic, vivid, standard, movie...?


are you only seeing this on a blank input when up close or are you seeing this while watching something else? if you have to get within a foot or two to see this then i wouldn't worry about it. if you are seeing this while watching something else or playing a different game then i would understand you worrying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Transparent colors cause an acid like effect that could burn through the screen and into your lap. So make sure to avoid transparency.
j/k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmember1978 /forum/post/16917505


Here is some info http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1166250

ahhhh. i remember that thread. didn't realize that was you. i do have to say that last years Samsungs have more of a problem with IR than the new 09's. my brother has a 50A550 and i have seen it on his and it sometimes bothers him after playing games or watching certain sporting events with a scoreboard.


there isn't really much you can do about it. be conservative on your picture settings. for example, use the movie/warm 2 picture settings, and keep contrast in the 70's or low 80's, use the 16:9 size setting and use pixel shift set at 4-4-1.


sorry, that's really all you can do. you just have to remember it's not permanent and will go away over time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmember1978 /forum/post/16917553


Yeah I'm using the standard picture setting with 50 contrast and 50 brightness.

i think the standard setting turns "Dynamic Contrast" on. if that's the case it will be brighter which will make it worse. even with the contrast at 50 it still raises the contrast.


if you try the settings i suggested i think it may help. it definitely won't hurt. movie mode is the more accurate setting on any Samsung.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16917570


i think the standard setting turns "Dynamic Contrast" on. if that's the case it will be brighter which will make it worse. even with the contrast at 50 it still raises the contrast.


if you try the settings i suggested i think it may help. it definitely won't hurt. movie mode is the more accurate setting on any Samsung.


I just checked and it doesn't. I have three choices. I have Standard,Dynamic and Movie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmember1978 /forum/post/16917589


I just checked and it doesn't. I have three choices. I have Standard,Dynamic and Movie

ok. i still recommend trying the movie mode/warm2 setting though. it might not look best at first but it has been proven to be the most accurate setting on any Samsung plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmember1978 /forum/post/16917603


Yeah I remember trying the Movie setting and few times and I thought it looked so crappy. It's very dark and the colors don't look as they should.

ok. i tried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16917596


ok. i still recommend trying the movie mode/warm2 setting though. it might not look best at first but it has been proven to be the most accurate setting on any Samsung plasma.

+1.

Zippy mentioned this some time ago and it really is true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmember1978 /forum/post/16917603


Yeah I remember trying the Movie setting and few times and I thought it looked so crappy. It's very dark and the colors don't look as they should.

That is likely because you have become so use to the wrong colors/temp settings that the accurate colors/temp setting does not look right. I had the same mind set at one point and thought the warm setting on my displays just looked wrong but if you start with the normal/mid temp setting for a week and then go to the warm temp setting for another week you will then start to see how blue either the mid setting is.



So far it seems nearly every TV is too blue if you do not use the warm temp setting and it just takes time to adjust to it. Ditto for the movie/Cinema modes as well. Some movies ARE supposed to be dark as that is how they were filmed, and I have come to appreciate the accurate and correct settings now myself so you can too.



I know the prior year models by Samsung seemed to have a lower tolerance for IR and I know the LG plasmas did by seeing 3 models my friend had, but I have basically zero IR on my 1 year old Panasonic plasma. I was considering at some future point trying out a Samsung plasma as the bext replacement for the higher refresh rate with 24Fps sources like BD, but this has me worried about the Samsungs, and I KNOW if it not an issue with my Panasonic plasma. So are the new Samsung plasmas a lot better than last years models or not with regard to IR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 /forum/post/16945831


So are the new Samsung plasmas a lot better than last years models or not with regard to IR?

the new 09 B series are a lot better with IR than the 08 A series. my brother has a 50A550 and he gets pretty bad IR, i hardly get any on my 58B560.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top