AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experience a very strange problem with my Samsung PPM-50H2 50" plasma...

Certain DVDs are being displayed when viewing the 480P input. For example, if I try to play Monsters, Inc. or Spiderman, the plasma states "check connection" and displays the default blue screen (as if nothing is connected to it). However, if I switch the input to force 480i, it will show the dvd - but the display is all whacked... like I am trying to watch a 480P signal from a 480i display (which, is actually the case).

What is very odd is that other DVDs seem to work fine (I quickly tested 'CQ' - the movie - and it works find in progressive). So far, Monsters, Inc. and Spiderman have been the only ones showing this behavior... but I haven't really tested many, because I recently switched Plasma monitors and even more recently switched DVD players. Originally, I noticed this behavior with the Panasonic DMR-HS2 dvd player connected through a DENON 3803 receiver- I thought it was just this the Panasonic DVD player not behaving properly. I had already planned on ditching both the HS2 and the 3803, so I did not bother with tinkering with the devices much. Recently I hooked up a Pioneer DV-47Ai dvd player and VSX-49TXi receiver to the Samsung... and it is acting the SAME way... so, I am pretty confident it is the Plasma Display... not the other components.

I hope I am making some sense here... but I guess my question is... can some plasmas have 'issues' player certain DVDs?

Thanks,

Leo

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi leo Bag

I have a pioneer 47A DVD player and there is a setting on the DVD player to output either progressive scan or interlace video. There is also a 16.9 setting for 16.9 letter boxed or 16.9 compressed for anamorphic DVD’s. An other thing to check is be sure you’re in the right video mode for the component connection on the plasma. Also check to see if there is a setting in the plasma for interlace or progressive signal that may be giving you the blue screen. I just looked up our manual on the internet Samsung site and I am just a little confused It show component 480 I as component 1 and 480P 720P 1080I as component 2. So it looks like you need to be on component 2 to get progressive scan. Looks like interlaced DVD share the same component connection as the progressive. The pioneer 47ai will output both. It looks like the interlace will show picture on component 1 and Progressive on component 2. If DVD is set to progressive then component 1 will give you blue screen. . If DVD is set to progressive then component 2 should give you picture. Try that.

Just a few questions you are the first to post about the Samsung 50†plasma. It’s seemed like a rebadged panny 50†as the spec look to be about the same. Maybe some one here knows for sure. If this is a Panny in Samsung clothing, we just might have an interesting development. I am holding out for a panny at a $5000.00 price point. I know I can get a Pioneer 503cm for $5800 but the panny's are 7750.00 online I just prefer the picture of the panny. The Samsung are being marketed all over the Internet at Sub $6000.00 pricing just do a google search. Would the Samsung have the same blacks? How do the SD pictures look? How is HDTV? Have you seen the Samsung along side a panny 50�

Where did you buy and how are they helping with your progressive DVD problems? Ok one more question how much did you pay? Thanks Jdallaire

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I really don't think I have hooked up anything wrong... because this doesn't happen with all DVDs... just a few... Here is the latest development... I put in the GREASE DVD, and the menus come up fine (on 480P), however, when I try to play the movie or trailer, the Samsung's screen turns blue (lost signal).

Very strange.

I am pretty sure that I have hooked up everything correctly. When I force the Samsung to display the 480i input... the picture is 'doubled' and out of sync... like you are trying to view 480P material through a 480i input (which is exactly like I am doing).

Another odd thing is that my Xbox works fine via the same component cables... and that displays 480P and 720P.

I will get back to you on the Samsung info... no time to post about it now... but if you search for the model number or something like "Samsung plasma", you will see some previous posts I have written... I really doubt it is a rebadged anything... I think Samsung makes their own stuff...

If _ANYONE_ has info about the weird 480P problem I am having... please chime in

Thanks,

Leo

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi leobag

I see that the xbox works for you. You may want to check going direct from the DVD player with cables. This will eliminate the switches you are using as a problem. Are you using a receivers for component switch or external switching? Recheck for loose cabling. The next time you have an issue go into the pioneer 47ai setup menu and see what the setting are for type of signal your outputting. Progressive or Interlaced. I read your review from your earlier post about this plasma. I search your name and found previous posts Thanks . I didn't know that you have had this plasma since August. Was their ever a time you were able to view the problem DVD disks without trouble, has this always been a problem? Please keep us posted has to how supportive Samsung is in trouble shooting the issue. I see from the other post that you got this plasma from costco for $4800.00 great price. Do you still have a return option with costco?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jdallaire,

I think you may be confusing my posts with '42plasma's' posts. Costco sold this plasma for $5999, with the return policy. Originally I had the Sampo (from Costco) - I just recently got this Samsung, with all new hardware (receiver/DVD player)... so its hard to know 'where' these errors are originating (DVD player/receiver/plasma/cables??).

I should probably do some direct connection testing (as you suggested), but right now I have Thanksgiving family over and don't want to move everything around to get behind my system.

As far as I know... my 47Ai is setup to output progressive, which I don't change... What confuses me, is that some DVDs work in 480P, others don't. And what really confuses me is that sometimes menus in the DVDs work but the actual movie doesn't!

very odd behavior...

Thanks,

Leo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.