AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys -

I am building a subwoofer box for the Cerwin Vega 15'inch V154D which is rated at 550 RMS and 1,100 Peak.
It's my first Cerwin Vega speaker and it sounds great when I listened to it at a friend's place. It's loud for sure.

First, does anyone have any drawings/plans on what would make a good sealed or vented box for this one?

Second, I would like to install a solid amp that can handle the Ohms and Watts required by this speaker.
I may want to connect the amp externally to the unit and leave the unit as passive or integrate the amp itself into the unit. What do you guys recommend.

The amp would need a cross-over and be connected to an older Sony amp via left/right terminals.
I don't want to spend more than $250 to $350 for the amp, if possible.

So you guys know, this woofer will be used exclusively for loud bass such as electronic music and nothing else. That's why I went with the CV's.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
189 Posts
I looked at this sub you need to post the t/s specifications for someone to look into it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Also can't connect to the old Sony amp bc the channels are already amped. You have to put the crossover between the amp and the source.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Get WinISD. That, along with the Thiele/Small parameters for the driver as mentioned, will show you expected response within a given box (sealed or ported).

If the receiver has no sub pre-out you'll need an amp that has high level (speaker) input. Lots of choices, PE plate amps: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers/332. Also covers you when/if you upgrade the receiver to one with a sub pre-out.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
we are going to have to take a stab at which parameters are most likely accurate. I'm going to guess fs/bl/mms/sd and we will leave re at 4 even though that is almost certainly wrong.
that gives this:

Attachments

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
give this pretty good looking subwoofer response. 6 cubic feet tuned to 20hz. this is with 500 watts and it can take a little more before hitting xmax and then probably a little past that, so a 1kw amp would be a good spec.
and be sure to put a high pass on under about 18hz so as not to have excursion blow up under the tuning point.
the port dimensions can be determined using an online calculator or somebody here can figure it out once you decide if you want a slot port or a round port(s).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
You're probably better off finding a cheap used avr with a sub out so you could use a pro amp, possibly used also. Or use your laptop for the source and run a pro amp with dsp. You can run the mains and the sub off one inuke 3000dsp. That would also get you EQ for everything. With the coils in parallel at 2ohms the 3000dsp will push that sub to the limits.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
but again, no guarantees on that result unless you call cerwin vega and tell them to remeasure the driver and publish some internally consistent thiele-small parameters. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts