AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I like getting good deals and finding products that have very low price/quality ratios (e.g. low low price, very good quality). As such, thanks to the AVS Forum advice that I've read, today I brought home an InFocus X1 DLP projector!

My set-up will be primarily for playing Xbox games in high definition and watching movies on DVD. But, I now need a low priced, high quality audio setup. I've been looking at the Cerwin Vega AVS 5.1, but I'm having trouble believing that a $150-200 speaker set sounds decent enough to "match" the quality of my X1!

My roomate has a Bose Acoustimass speaker setup, and I think he spent $1,000 or so on those speakers. So, I'm just hoping that if I got the Cerwin Vega set that it wouldn't sound like crap compared to what I'm used to.

Also, if you have any receiver recommendations (I hear Onkyo and HK are good) or progressive scan DVD player recommendations, please share them.

Awesome community, by the way!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I recommend getting the Cerwins. As far a a reciever goes.....look into the Sherwood line. 6108..$140.00, and has DD and DTS.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a buddy of mine who bought the cerwins about 2 years ago, for 400.00 and he loves them. for 150 or so bucks you can't go wrong.

-Ryan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Amigo-2k
I have a buddy of mine who bought the cerwins about 2 years ago, for 400.00 and he loves them. for 150 or so bucks you can't go wrong.

-Ryan
Sounds good. Think it's worth waiting until August or so to purchase just in case something else comes out that's better or if these drop even lower in price? The reason I ask is because I have access to my roomate's surround sound system for the next 6 months or so and then I'm moving somewhere else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
first time posting,

sorry for jumping in on your thread, but I couldn't figure out how to start my own. Just started looking for 1st HT system and this forum has good things to say about CV AVS-5.1 and Onkyo HTS760. just wondering if one would stand out over the other and why. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rocckstar - I wouldn't use waiting for a better system or price as a reason to hold off. Upgrading is always an option and decent system components have decent resale. Besides, one can't have too many of this or that when it comes to audio or video systems, can they?

I think back to when I waited until the price of a HK receiver I wanted came down both on the used and new levels. I ended up buying an entirely different HK model that had just come out. Made me realize I would never own one if I kept waiting for the best price, etc. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wizardosh, I stand by the Cerwin-Vegas. I've owned both brands and I'de have to choose them over the Onkyo's. I've used them both for HT, and music, and the CV's were awesome in both, whereas the Onkyo's didn't sound as good in the misic department. Even when watching movies, i found them to be a little less "alive" as the Cerwin-Vegas.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have the Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1. I am so glad I bought them and not Bose AM6 series III.

There is no way the Bose AM6 sounds as good as the Cerwin Vega AVS-5.1. I went to the Bose showroom yesterday (Pacific Centre Mall, Vancouver) and frankly, the Bose sounded poor compared to my Cerwin Vega.

The satellite and center speakers on the Cerwin Vegas are crystal clear and provide awesome midrange with their tweaters and 4" woofers. The "icing on the cake" is the subwoofer. This is the real hidden value. I think it is worth more than the $200 or so you pay for the entire set. It is a an excellent sub producing full blooded sound. Even at high volumes it never sounds boomy.

I had a minor peeve, though. In my set, due to the default setting of the sub, it required a minimum volume (around 25 - 30% receiver volume) to activate. Otherwise it stays on standby. There is an internal jumper in the sub which is set on "auto", which seems to be the default. I changed it to "on" and now it does not require the minimum volume to activate anymore.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brenrher
Rocckstar - I wouldn't use waiting for a better system or price as a reason to hold off. Upgrading is always an option and decent system components have decent resale. Besides, one can't have too many of this or that when it comes to audio or video systems, can they?

I think back to when I waited until the price of a HK receiver I wanted came down both on the used and new levels. I ended up buying an entirely different HK model that had just come out. Made me realize I would never own one if I kept waiting for the best price, etc. :)
There is a difference between waiting for a PRICE DROP and basing your decision to buy based on PRICE. I would agree that waiting for a PRICE DROP of a particular system might be a waste of time, but it is always wise to consider your HT system purchase based on PRICE (i.e., your budget).

You must also consider your upgrade path. Better to buy better components which you would hold on to for longer.

If you don't want to bust your budget and play it safe, better to buy a good set of cheap speakers, like the JBL SCS136 or SCS150 or the Cerwin Vega AVS. My friend has the JBLs which also sound superb. But I personally prefer my Cerwins - although I could be biased.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by machani
If you don't want to bust your budget and play it safe, better to buy a good set of cheap speakers, like the JBL SCS136 or SCS150 or the Cerwin Vega AVS. My friend has the JBLs which also sound superb. But I personally prefer my Cerwins - although I could be biased.
What would be the next step up from the Cerwin Vega AVS 5.1 speaker set? It seems that paying $150 for my entire set of speakers (less than I paid for my Xbox!) is a bit bass-ackwards if you catch my drift. Is there a set of $899.99 home theater speakers that go for like $499.99 these days that would be better than the CV AVS 5.1 .or JBL SCS150?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I just read the Speakers forum for a good hour or so. It seems that they don't like any speakers that are even somewhat mainstream. They're saying to buy Athenas and Paradigms and various other things that I've never heard of (granted, I hadn't heard of Cerwin Vega until a couple days ago, but I digress).

I'm totally unsure about my audio setup now.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The people in that forum are audio snobs, buy the speakers, listen to them. I bet they will sound great your purposes. You can alwasy return them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rocckkstar
I'm totally unsure about my audio setup now.
Rocckstar,

If you are looking for a dedicated 5.1 speaker package (4 satellites, center and sub) from one manufacturer then you can narrow your search - particularly if you are planning on spending less than, say $600. Check out offerings from JBL (SCS), Velodyne (Deco), Wharfdale (Moviestar), Bose(AM6), Cerwin Vega(AVS), etc.

You can also piece together a HT speaker set using individual speakers from different manufacturers, but that would cost you a lot more time and money.

Another point I'd like to make. You mention Infocus X1 and your decision to buy this projector based on overwhelmingly positive user opinions. I, personally, believe this is as close to a perfect decision you made regarding projectors at the $1,000 price level. But making video quality comparisons, in my opinion, is a lot easier than audio quality comparisons. Besides, many people tend to get emotional about their speakers. So don't count on getting similarly objective opinions on speakers that you got on projectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered these speakers and didn't realize until I got them they were 4ohms. Now given generally that only high end receivers can take a 4ohm load, what options in receivers do I have?

I'm trying to keep my receiver under $300, but unsure if any of the 8ohm receivers can handle these 4ohm speakers.

Anyone with this particular setup wanna chime in?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've used 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm recievers in the past, and I never experienced any problems.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Running 4ohm speakers with a receiver set at 8ohms will fail to deliver the necessary amount of power to the speakers.

Power = Current * Voltage. (P=IV)

So, your speakers are going to be rated with a wattage (i.e. power) range. Your receiver is also going to be rated with a wattage output value. Make sure the receiver output will match up with the range listed on the speakers.

Your sound quality may suffer as a result of bad matching.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So are you saying that the reciever won't have enough power? Or that it won't be able to play them at high volumes?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Most of the time, you won't be using all of your 85 max watts of output per channel or whatever your receiver provides. However, whenever there is a burst of audio at higher volume, then you will need the spike of power to accurately recreate the audio. If your receiver cannot provide the necessary power, the audio will be "messed up".

There is also the potential of blowing up your amplifier (smoke will come out) if the resistance is too low. Ohms is resistance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So is that a yes.....or a no?

·
Registered
439 Posts
So, the answer is you won't have enough power when you need it, and you are going to be putting stress on the receiver (amplifier) when it wants that power. See this Home Toys article for a good explanation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.