AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm sorry if this question is really basic--my experience level with this kind of stuff isn't especially high. Here's the situation: I'm moving out of a college dorm and into my first apartment, and I've come into some old Cerwin Vega D-3s. They're my dad's and they're in good condition, he's giving them to me because my mom doesn't like the look of them and has stuck them in our office closet for the better part of my life. I know audiophiles would probably turn their noses up at them, but they sound a heck of a lot better than my little Polk bookshelves (which I hope to use as surround speakers) and, most importantly, they're free.

Here's the problem: I can't really find much technical information about them on the internet and I'm kind of worried they may not play nicely with my receiver, an entry-level Harman Kardon AVR146. I found a site selling replacement parts for CWs that seems to rate the individual components at 8 ohms, but I'm not sure if that translates to the overall rating of the speakers. Does anyone have experience with these speakers, or at least know if they are rated at 4 or 8 ohms? Will I need an amplifier to use them with this receiver?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
i think those are 8 ohms, they dont say on the back plate near the speaker hookup?

I have the D5 and they are 8 ohms, i think the D5 is just the next step up from the D3.

They should work fine, run the phantom center with yor polks as rear (small) i think the bass from the rear over 100hz will come threw the front wich you would probobly set to large.

Are you going to run a seperate sub?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, if the D-5s are 8 ohms then I bet these are too. I'd look on the back myself but they're currently at my parents' house.

I've got a small AV123 x-sub to use with them for the time being, until I can afford something bigger (and who knows, the living room in the new apartment isn't that big, the x-sub might do well enough), and I'll probably spring for a center channel soon. It'll definitely be a weird mix of speakers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Them old Cerwin Vega towers sound awesome! I had a set of the 10" 3 way towers when I was in school around 15 years ago, and I loved mine. I ran them off of a Fisher bookshelf system with a 50 disc changer built in. Compared to today's standards, that set up was about as ghetto as it got, but back then, we used my system to supply the music for a lot of parties!

Enjoy man!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts