AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
The press release most likely is only going to showcase the cool new products. Wait for CES to start to get the real deal I say.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's 11:00 am there on the first day of the show. We'll know soon enough. Now I'm wishing I'd gone.
This will be the first show I've missed in seven years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It doesn't look good, all I'm seeing on cnet is flat panels under 60". Made with the world market in mind where 40" is considered "large"
Only the US market wants >60" it seems, so better snap up those remaining 67" Sammys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes....I feel like by now you would have heard something. I don't really think you will be missing a whole lot by buying the 750 series.

·
UHD Addict
37,449 Posts
Any 70" Samsung LCD sets being introduced?

Well at least I won't need to buy a TV until 70" LCD sets become affordable. There is no way I can go smaller than my current 67" LED DLP set.

If they have closeouts on the LED DLP sets I might pick up a 61" set to replace my 65" Toshiba DLP in the bedroom.

·
UHD Addict
37,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranman /forum/post/15498731

Looks like the LED DLP's are k-a-p-u-t.

BIG time bummer....

But not unexpected.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBREALKC /forum/post/15501469

I was just told that Samsung is still producing the 2008 model DLPs but will have no new models for 2009.

Called Samsung and they said the same thing, no new models but will still be for sale in 2009

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex /forum/post/15501714

Called Samsung and they said the same thing, no new models but will still be for sale in 2009

This is fine by me. I'll pick up a 67 incher in Sept for $1500!

·
Registered
5,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurvino /forum/post/15501402

looks like no Samsung DLPs in 2009. DLP looks DEAD from Samsung..

I thought Mitsubishi was gonna announce 2009 line of DLPs?

Mitsubishi has their own show and doesn't show their line at CES. I believe their show is sometime in the spring. Maybe someone else remembers when it is.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
A roundtable panel on Thursday afternoon at CES was one of the show's briefer events so far, but we picked up some interesting tidbits from the forthright Samsung executives present. We have highlights of the stuff we would have loved to have heard during yesterday's big event, but better late than never:

- Ding, dong, the DLP is... Samsung is one of the last two companies to offer DLP televisions. (The other is Mitsubishi.) The Digital Light Processing technology was quite clever, using microscopic mirrors rapidly repositioning to create the image, but that battle was won by LCDs. But after hanging in there for years, Samsung is out, according to Senior Vice President SangHeung Shin, who told reporters that "We've already internally made the decision to drop the [DLP] line." Sets will most likely continue to be available for some time.

Available for some time? I'm buying in the next 3 weeks. I'll bet the price will be pretty consistant from now until their gone, within a hundred bucks or so. I'll bet they will be hard to find soon. Best Buy and CC in my area are out.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Crud, I was hoping that they would keep improving the LED engine and eventually offer something closer to 80", I guess by the time I actually replace my Sammy DLP I'll have to go with something else. Now Mits has no real reason to get their laser sets to a reasonable price.

There's always LED DLP projectors, I guess.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
All because off all the 'airheads' that didn't like a big box in their Living Rooms so they could have some panel hung on a wall making it nonaccessible, able to be contaminated by heat and soot from a fireplace and eventally fall off the wall.

BTW, the major repair company in this area will NOT service a TV that is over a fireplace and possibly one hung on a wall anywhere!

81 - 100 of 240 Posts