AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CES 2009: What's missing this year!

Well so far I have search high and low; maybe somebody at the show can talk with the major vendors?

Where are the HD DVRs and PVRs? Products to replace the Sony DHG-HDD250/500?

Panasonic, JVC, and Sony have products like these overseas, most with dual digital tuners, etc. But there appears to nothing state side of similar quality?

Granted the companies have not necessarily figured out the marketing sales relationship; but the market for the product is significantly bigger than 3-D and soundbars.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Next CES will have more tru2way. tru2way was disappointing this year. tru2way will allow for full digital cable integration. Tivo is working on a Series 4 that has tru2way.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have absolutely no interest in tru2way, only full blown HD DVR. We really need products that are currently sold in Japan, France, etc.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/15533925

I have absolutely no interest in tru2way, only full blown HD DVR. We really need products that are currently sold in Japan, France, etc.

As far as I know, neither Japan or Europe has anything comparable to the TivoHD ($250 + subscription) for free OTA service.

Most of the European DVRs are for subscription terrestrial (yes, they have pay OTA services in Europe), cable, and satellite services. Many of these feature DVR software written by NDS, the same company that supplies the DVR software for DirecTV's boxes. As pay television services, these companies provide the appropriate guide.

One of the few sources of free high-definition content in Europe is FreeSAT, and the first FreeSAT HDTV DVR was just released last month at the equivalent of US$450. This isn't an OTA DVR, it's a satellite DVR. The first [OTA] Freeview HD DVR in New Zealand was recently launched for the equivalent of US$600. Panasonic's [OTA] Freeview HD DVR with a 250GB hard drive and built-in Blu-ray recorder sells for the equivalent of US$1500-2000 in Australia/Japan/France. Dual-tuner HDTV DVRs in Japan start at around $700 and higher-end models run upwards of $1500. None of these products match the DVR functionality of the TiVo; many are closer in functionality to the DTVPal DVR (the Humax Freesat HDTV DVR being an exception).

It's a popular myth that the rest of the world has more HD DVR equipment options; most of the world is envious of the high-definition content and relatively low-cost equipment we have here in the states. Japan and France have some high-end equipment options -- namely, DVRs with integrated Blu-ray recorders -- that aren't available here, but those aren't within reach of most consumers.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many models such as these include large Hard Disk, dual OTA tuners, and some include BluRay burners, if that is your thing.

http://www.techfresh.net/latest-pana...-tv-recorders/

http://www.cnet.com.au/dvdpvr/pvr/0,...9281401,00.htm

Different countries use different program guides for free OTA (basically country specific-some are actually TV Guide)

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/...uk&language=en

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/lan...rticle.html%3f

http://www.digitalview.com.au/dvr-810.html

When the first Sony DHG-HDD500 came out the MSRP was $995 - that was about 4-5 years ago. If a similar product was made today - it would be in the range of about $500. All the components; specifically hard disks and tuners are a lot cheaper now.

In watching the video you will notice the Pioneer model include HDMI output and Antenna connections on the back.

http://www.pioneer.fr/fr/flash/produ...deoDVR940.html

I am really looking for "updated" options for the older Sony DHG Boxes - many of the overseas products seem the closest fit so far. Since the tuners and hard disks costs are a fraction of what they were 5 years ago - it is do-able.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You can of course put a dual OTA tuner in an inexpensive PC with big disks and accomplish for what you want.

I suspect that the reason that there are not specific PVRs that only support what you want is that most americans that have HDTVs use cable or satellite as their HD program source since so many more HD channels are available with those sources then are available from the local TV broadcasters. So it is hard for box makers to see how to get the sales volume required make a profit supplying such a unit at a market acceptable price.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15537906

You can of course put a dual OTA tuner in an inexpensive PC with big disks and accomplish for what you want.

I suspect that the reason that there are not specific PVRs that only support what you want is that most americans that have HDTVs use cable or satellite as their HD program source since so many more HD channels are available with those sources then are available from the local TV broadcasters. So it is hard for box makers to see how to get the sales volume required make a profit supplying such a unit at a market acceptable price.

Yes I have thought about that; but a big loud computer, with software I have to support and maintain, is not what I want. Small quiet etc. like I say an updated version of the Sony DHG series is what I prefer. It does not matter to me if it had "any" combination of the following: OTA, Cable, or Sat as a part of its menu guide - if fact a product offering giving the consumer a choice would only increase the sale of units. The new Panasonic units overseas appear to be a tad smaller than the DHG series, and that is with the BluRay burner. Generally, I would not even consider a BluRay burner "unless" it includes the ability to burnin from old VHS tapes via input ports on the back.

Even state side, Sony offers very odd products like this with HD tuner; looks like it needs some type of EPG (program guide) and Hard Disk?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665186462

Yes many feel cable and sat have an ironclad strong hold. My observation is that they do not; at least for DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15539515

People

Yes the lack of people is a Big Issue for the entire market this year........the projections Panasonic were making in the Wall Street Jrn this last week was a good one - it does appears they are on top of things in an attempt to stay profitable? Just hope it does not kill R&D.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/15540854

Even state side, Sony offers very odd products like this with HD tuner; looks like it needs some type of EPG (program guide) and Hard Disk?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665186462

You'll find lots of products like this in the DVD recorders forum. All downconvert HD to SD for recording and output. None can output or record HD as HD.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
^^ bfdtv is correct re the Sony DVDR. As much as they say HD ALL over the ad it's SD ALL the way. And being a Sony DVDR it's not even that good SD.

Sony knows what people want and makes no qualms about stating it, but Sony and every other DVDR does just as bfdtv said, downconvert to SD the second it gets inside the machine.

It really bothers me when I see a ad like the one you linked, espically from a fine company like Sony. It's despicable IMO. They know what people want, why don't they just give it to us. That is a DVDR w/digital HD tuner that will actually pass the HD through to the TV.

Newer Sony DVDR including this one are generally poorly reviewed on AVS. The 655 is a '08 model.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson /forum/post/15540876

Yes the lack of people is a Big Issue for the entire market this year........the projections Panasonic were making in the Wall Street Jrn this last week was a good one - it does appears they are on top of things in an attempt to stay profitable? Just hope it does not kill R&D.

CES Attendance Falls Short of Estimates

TOP STORY -- According to CEA, some 110,000 people attended this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, well down from pre-show estimates of 130,000. With these final numbers, 2009 will rank as the least-attended CES since 2003, when about 97,000 industry representatives made the trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts