AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So we're less than 2 months way from CES 2011. But what can be expected in terms of news and trends for HDTVs?

On the news front it has been very silent lately. No major advancements that I've heard of. Does this mean we'll just see 2010 HDTV technology but at lower price points?

What will a mainstream HDTV be in 2011? In 2010 I'd say it's an edge lit 100 Hz LED LCD TV @ 40/46". Will backlit LED LCDs become mainstream in 2011? Or will it be something else?

Also, will the trend with glossy panels finally come to an end as customers realize that without a totally dark specially built home theatre "cave", the reflections from sunlight comming from normal livingroom windows will be a pain in the @ss?

Fire away your thoughts and speculations.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I think they will still be forcing 3D devices down our throats

Plenty of social networking and streaming interfaces and hopefully more wireless devices (built in)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hopefully, we'll start to see 21:9 tvs, 72" screens, nano LED from LG, super high contrast panels from AUO and Samsung S-LCD, and maybe some more blue phase prototypes.

It would be great if there was some tech out there, which I'm sure Sharp, AUO, and Samsung are working on, which would eliminate color/contrast washout from wide angle viewing. It would be great to see this in the next couple of years.

This might be the year where regular lcd (ccfl) fully passes all plasma display tech in black level.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I hope we see some better picture quality and build quality. Alot of last years models looked and felt like cheap plastic pieces of **** that crackled and popped when you touched or moved them.

Hopefully overall picture quality and manufacturing consistency improves too.. I think almost every new 2010 model had posters in the threads saying "look for one with model numbers xxxx, those are the good ones!"

2010 was the year of the LCD lottery, roll the dice and see if you get a non defective unit! yay

I hope LG comes out with some really well performing LED sets, preferably full array backlit that are high value and priced nicely. I did read that they will be focusing even more on their borderless desigs.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Look for more edge-lit models with their version of "local dimming". This will allow manufactures to boast about their pie in the sky contrast numbers over the 2010 models.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Woaaaaaah thanks for the cnet info, I am totally going to keep an eye out for the 7700 in 47 inch size.. hopefully it's not TOO expensive.

they mention banding has been addressed with these upcoming models and they will step up the 3D support with more options.

LW9500 - 480hz

LW7700 - 240hz

I just hope the 7700 is priced competitively and is great for gaming/lag..

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Expect also few acres of walls covered by 70+ inchers like this 72 monster from LG

Its model designation is LZ9700 so it looks that apart of the LW series there is also a LZ one. Nothing is mentioned however that it is Nano technology and the wide bezel style looks oldfashioned comparing to the ultranarrow LW.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
New and better 3D-FPR-Technology by LG without Crosstalk, flickering and Full-HD-Polarisation:

Quote:
The Chinese and global LCD TV makers plan to offer a full lineup of 3D LCD TV sets featuring FPR panels from the beginning of 2011. The product not only delivers full HD picture quality, but also eliminates flicker and crosstalk which are problems associated with SG (shutter glasses) 3D displays. It also resolves the issue of high costs linked to the existing PR (patterned retarder) type panel by using film instead of glass substrate.
http://en.akihabaranews.com/77665/di...nology-display

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA /forum/post/19656594

@irkuck

That´s the "old" LX9500 in 72" (available in Korea, seen at the IFA 2010 in Berlin). After the announcement of LW7700 and LW9500 I don´t expect the LX9500 in other countries. But yes, I expect newer models in this size.

ALMA, this pic is taken from the official LG press release. Model designation is LZ9700 so it is not LX9500 and as one can see it is being launched in the Gulf.

There is some inidcation that as it was shown at IFA, LG will have NANO LED line up to 60" with thickness of 8 mm and singular 72" model which is not NANO and thicker, at 25 mm. Thus either superb nano thin backlight up to 60" or standard local dimming at 72" but not both. It remains to be seen if nano offers any PQ advantage apart of making possible very thin full local dimming. However, it looks that nano sets will have matte glass while the 72" has glossy glass. Thus technically top of the range is nano, but sizewise the king is non-nano 72".

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr /forum/post/19652148

Look for more edge-lit models with their version of "local dimming". This will allow manufactures to boast about their pie in the sky contrast numbers over the 2010 models.

Nano backlight is full array LED, based on technical info from LG. Nano is kind of thin foil diffuser with microdots offering

superb uniformity and smooth dimming. It remains to be seen if it lives up to its hype but at least it enables very thin sets.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here are my hopes for 2011. Make a simple, yet good LED/LCD TV.

Most if not all TV fails short in one of the following area: Movies, Sports and video games. Getting a TV that is great in 2 out of 3 is simple but getting a TV good in all area is impossible to get.

One thing that was really a drag in 2010 was screen uniformity. Never have we seen clouding and flashlighting issues being so widespread across almost all brands and panels. When you have to invest $$$$ dollars in local dimming sets to cover manufacturing defect/assembly is wrong. Clouding and flashlighting is unacceptable and can be avoided.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck /forum/post/19659788

Nano backlight is full array LED, based on technical info from LG. Nano is kind of thin foil diffuser with microdots offering

superb uniformity and smooth dimming. It remains to be seen if it lives up to its hype but at least it enables very thin sets.

Hi,

There was a preliminary review of these LG LEX-8 (European designation) sets from DigitalVersus I think & if I recall correctly, they said something along the lines that it was the best picture they had ever seen on any HDTV & that it had black levels so low that it was beyond the capability of any of their meter's to go that low.

Let's hope that the sets live up to the hype as I too am extremely interested in them but I fear that they will be just way too expensive! If I find the review, I will post a link!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cnet just posted an article about it yesterday:
CES: 2011 TVs preview

Some of it is hopeful thinking. I guess we are all crossing our fingers this year brings better PQ over thinner TVs.

I was actually hoping Samsung would throw GoogleTV in as an option. It would be nice to have just in case you ever wanted to use it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I just upgraded my 3 year old hd tv to a lg lx9500 for full hd tv and 3d tvs seem to deliver the best picture in 2d I' am going to sit back and wait for the glasses free 3d tvs maybe even oled

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy /forum/post/19660156

Hi,

There was a preliminary review of these LG LEX-8 (European designation) sets from DigitalVersus I think & if I recall correctly, they said something along the lines that it was the best picture they had ever seen on any HDTV & that it had black levels so low that it was beyond the capability of any of their meter's to go that low.

The review is not detailed/precise. E.g. black levels are superb but no blooming check is mentioned. One problem mentioned is higher 3D crosstalk.

What is especially puzzling is the response time specsed at 2 ms but they measured 13.5 ms. That's huge difference and the crosstalk is significant.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts