AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SEE is the main reason I did not get an SXRD. Im very sensitive to it, and I awaiting news if the the 2006 SXRD, or even possibly any RPTV have been able to fix the SSE issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
I didn't see this on the 55" prototype set at very close range (2 feet away from the screen), but then I rarely notice SSE myself.


thanks,

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM
I didn't see this on the 55" prototype set at very close range (2 feet away from the screen), but then I rarely notice SSE myself.


thanks,

Mike


Since you are not sure if you can see SSE - could you possibly talk to the Sony Rep. again and ask him if the screen itself has been changed to anything like the 006. That screen I believe is lenticular and does not show the SSE effect. If the screen material/design is changed in the new 55 inch SXRD Sony would make a point of it - or at least the key Rep. at the show should know of the change.


Thanks

kt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Not trying to be repetative (I posted this in another thread) but the Qualia 006 has SSE also. I loved that set when I owned it, but returned it because of the SSE, so lets hope that they can figure out a way to eliminate it.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
RickE..........


This is a private members bar........exclusively for the supporters of the worlds greatest football team............ Manchester United............now please, enlighten me...................



Just what is this "other" thread you've been posting on..... UFO's, Loch Ness Monster, Big Foot sightings and mysterious SXRD SSE. It's OK to admit it to the group....... when the aliens took you up into their spaceship........they let you watch your colonoscopy on their DLP didn't they?


Now let me get this straight.....You say you returned the best RPTV on the market today because you thought the Qualia 006 has SSE. That would be like returning Miss December because she burped after swallowing. Or giving back a Ferrari Enzo because it was not red enough for you.


The only way to see any SSE on the Qualia 006 is with your nose to the screen. I own one and routinely watch it from 7-8 ft. The HD picture on this monster is simply stunning at any distance. I don't know what source material you are using that could look so foul but it sounds like someone has been watching stuff on a 15 year old Wal-Mart VHS tape player. Perhaps you just have some residual TRON burn in on your retina.


At anything past 3-4 feet ( unless you have the visual acuity of the Hubble telescope) your eye is simply too far away and can not resolve any of the 2,000,000 teeny tiny pixels nor can it see the inter pixel spacing and I don't care how hard you squint. At even insanely close viewinig distances like 6 feet there is no discernable SSE. Clean your glasses, change your contact prescription or sue your Lasik physician. If you are seeing any silk screen/screen door effect when watching the Qualia 006 then you are a peeping tom and what you are seeing is the actual widow screen itself when are spying through your neighbors window at his wonderful Qualia 006. You should be ashamed of yourself.


Quit posting this drivel.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48
SEE is the main reason I did not get an SXRD. Im very sensitive to it, and I awaiting news if the the 2006 SXRD, or even possibly any RPTV have been able to fix the SSE issue.
I doubt if the new SXRD will eliminate SSE. CRT doesn't have it. You can get one of them until the microdisplays eliminate that problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMouth777
This is a private members bar........exclusively for the supporters of the worlds greatest football team............ Manchester United............now please, enlighten me...................
Guess I'm not a member then. ManU is NOT the greatest football team in my book.

Quote:
The only way to see any SSE on the Qualia 006 is with your nose to the screen.
You are talking about SDE, not SSE.


Quote:
I own one and routinely watch it from 7-8 ft.
You shouldn't be able to resolve the pixels from that distance, thus no SDE. But, SSE can easily be seen under the right conditions.

Quote:
Quit posting this drivel.
You only made yourself look bad by saying this. You obviously don't know the difference between SDE & SSE. Many people confuse the two, which is why they should read up on both before they post something almighty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Yes, I know the differences between the two and the Q does not have either that you can determine at even uncomfortably close viewing distances unless you normaly watch TV with binoculars. But if you are watching your neighbors Q through his window then I understand why. I only added the /SDE for those like you that might be thinking down that line. You support the point of my previously brilliant attempt at levity when you say......."But SSE can easily be seen under the right conditions" "Under the right conditions" you could probably see Roseanne's camel toe but would you really want to.


People that sit around squinting looking for flaws in the picture are really strange to me. They are perhaps still bitter with having to live with mom at 40. Still mad that they would never actually talk to a pretty girl because she had a smudge on her blouse. You had to spend a lot of time stuffed in your locker at High School with you underwear streatched up your butt to become so cynical.


I was really pretty funny when I was on the comedy circuit but apparently that does not translate well with accounting types looking to see why that last penny is not in its right column.


A guy returned a Q for SSE..........give me a break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts

MotorMouth777 said:
RickE..........






"Now let me get this straight.....You say you returned the best RPTV on the market today because you thought the Qualia 006 has SSE. That would be like returning Miss December because she burped after swallowing. Or giving back a Ferrari Enzo because it was not red enough for you. "




This is, and has been since its inception, the leading forum of its type; it is not a bar. Please conduct yourself with an appropriate level of decorum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,802 Posts
I've been trying to see SSE but haven't been successful, I think. This is from ignorance, mind you, not an informed quality statement. My question is, does it kind of look like noise? The few times I thought "Aha!Gotcha!" I was able to get rid of what I thought was SSE with the noise reduction setting on high, so I take it that wasn't it. I'm just so hoping I'm immune :D. I'm not to color problems or lack of blacks or shadow detail, so I'm very happy so far with my Dec build 50" SXRD. Maybe I'm mistaking it for a natural attribute of the source image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48
SEE is the main reason I did not get an SXRD. Im very sensitive to it, and I awaiting news if the the 2006 SXRD, or even possibly any RPTV have been able to fix the SSE issue.


None of the Microdisplays will be able to completely get rid of the SSE. It is inherent to the polycarb/acrylic/plastic/resin or whatever combination of products they use to produce the screens. All the Microdisplays have screens with a very high gain factor, this is one of the reasons for SSE.


Should the light technology evolve, you will not have to have such high gain screens and that may result in much less SSE IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,849 Posts
Latest Sony Industry Plant tactic: Repeat a million times that SSE doesn't exist and people will start believing it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMouth777
A guy returned a Q for SSE..........give me a break.
I think you need all the breaks you can get.


It's very easy to see the texture (SSE) of the screen on any micro chip display device that I have ever viewed. All it takes is a bright scene from a normal (~10') viewing distance.


On the Qualia 006 it's a little harder because of all the show rooms lights "glaring" off the Qualia's highly reflective screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMouth777
Yes, I know the differences between the two and the Q does not have either that you can determine at even uncomfortably close viewing distances unless you normaly watch TV with binoculars.
I'm afraid you are wrong. I can see the SSE effect quite easily on micro displays, including the Qualia 006. So can many other people. The Qualia 006 certainly exhibits the SSE, as does pretty much every micro display to one degree or another. I saw the SSE effect on my very first viewings of the 006, from distances of between 12 and 8 feet (there is no need to press one's nose against a display to see the SSE).


I've also demoed the 006 right beside the newer SXRDs, more times than I can now remember. I find the SSE on the SXRDs is definitely more noticeable than on

the Qualia 006, perhaps because of the glass over the Qualia. But both have it.

Just last week I was watching some Hi-Def images showing winter sports, on the Qualia 006 beside the SXRD 60" model. The SSE was easily visible on both, especially on shots of the sky and snow. However, it was much less disagreeable on the Qualia 006.


It's been common knowledge that the SSE occurs on the Qualia 006 ever since it came out, and that people have varying degrees of sensitivity to the SSE. Some virtually never see it, some occasionally, others a lot. Just like rainbow effects on DLPs and Screen Door Effect on LCD/Plasma technology. That you don't perceive it on your set is no reason to dismiss everyone else's experience or opinion on the matter.

Quote:
A guy returned a Q for SSE..........give me a break.
I have been enthusiastic about the SXRD technology from the moment I saw it. I think it offers, in some ways, some of the best image qualities you can buy. However, I am very sensitive to the SSE and see it constantly on the SXRD models, and less so on the Qualia (although it's still there). Since this particular artifact bothers me enough, I would choose other displays over the SXRD that do not exhibit the SSE. I like to watch movies with the lights very low or off. The excellent black levels of the SXRD would be a boon in such a situation, but unfortunately the SSE doesn't disappear under such conditions and if anything it makes it more obvious. However, that doesn't stop me from appreciating the otherwise amazing qualities of the SXRD technology.


I prefer plasma, which has it's own set of disadvantages that I'm prepared to live with. Some people are sensitive to the Screen Door Effect to the point that they won't buy a plasma. I would never say "give me a break" to someone who is bothered by the SDE on a plasma, and who wouldn't like to own one because of it. We all have varying tolerances for the pluses and minuses of any display. So why don't you cut people a little slack if they are really bothered by certain artifacts, just because you aren't bothered by them?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I first noticed SSE when the very first microdisplays came out years ago and I posted on this very forum, but back then nobody knew what I was talking about. Now at least people have a name for it. I guess I can get a panny plasma, or I can let my CRT RPTV hold me over untill SED arrives in full force.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I thought that I read in an earlier thread on CES that there were plans, #1 to use the LED light source on future SXRD (which would mean that one could use a lower gain screen) and #2 that the SXRD was slated to get the glass screen that was on the Qualia. Wouldn't those two things work together to significantly reduce the SSE? Is it possible that these two things would come together in the new slim cabinet SXRD's, or the 55" one anyway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,849 Posts
All questions will bwe answered at the Sony line show in March--the new Sony worshipers will wax even more poetic than the old ones! You haven't seen nothing yet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter
I may be mistaken, but I thought that I read in an earlier thread on CES that there were plans, #1 to use the LED light source on future SXRD (which would mean that one could use a lower gain screen) and #2 that the SXRD was slated to get the glass screen that was on the Qualia. Wouldn't those two things work together to significantly reduce the SSE? Is it possible that these two things would come together in the new slim cabinet SXRD's, or the 55" one anyway?
The glass screen is only one of the screens in the sets. The actual screen surface that the image is first reflected onto isn't glass, which is where the SSE is produced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
can someone just take a close up pic of this SSE...so I and many others can get an I dea of what SSE really is......
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top