AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have there been any good posts or links from CES on the new video displays coming out? I have seen several newsbits but nothing complete.

I am really looking for video displays only if possible.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yours is the first post I saw with show pics, thanks. Did you ask the Samsung guys about the DLP 1080p launch date? This year or next year? That appears to be the set to get, since no more LCOS from toshiba.

1080p appears to be the next big thing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
whats the deal with 1080p, is there going to be any hd to watch in 1080p, because I've never heard of anyone planning to broadcast at such a resolution? is this the standard for hd dvd? I must know.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
The DVDs being sold using Microsoft's Windows Media Video (media player 9) use 1080p format. Currently Terminator 2 is the only big hollywood movie being offered but MS annouced at CES that several more are planned for 2004 release. Perhaps the other hd DVD formats will also offer 1080p/24. Since film based material (ie movies) are shot at 24 frames per second it actually requires no more bandwidth to record (or broadcast for that matter) material in 1080p/24 than it does in the broadcast standard 1080i/30 (w/60 fields per second) format. The ATSC broadcast standard does allow for broadcasters to use 1080p/24 or 1080p/30 formats in additional to 1080i. All ATSC compatible HD-set top boxes and TVs with built-in HD receivers are capable of receiving these formats and most will convert then to a display format such as 720p or 1080i (ie., not offer an 1080p output format). Since 24 frames per sec. is too low to actually be directly displayed (way too much flicker), it must be displayed at a higher frame rate. 72 frames per second is an ideal display rate (ie. a display vertical sync. rate of 72 Hz.) since is a direct multiple of 24 (each frame would displayed 3 time). However it can be displayed at 60 using standard 2:3 pull down (diaplay one frame 2 times and the next 3 time, the next 2 times, etc.). As more new HD monitors or TVs become avaiable that are capable of directly displaying in a native 1080p format (but displayed at a higher frame rate to eliminate flicker) then prehaps more 1080p sources will become available. As to the question of why do we want 1080p vs 1080i, it basically comes down to improved vertical resolution. With an interlaced system vertical video signal filters are used that reduce the vertical resolution by around 30% as compared to a non-interlaced (i.e., progressive) video image.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stepmback
Yours is the first post I saw with show pics, thanks. Did you ask the Samsung guys about the DLP 1080p launch date? This year or next year? That appears to be the set to get, since no more LCOS from toshiba.

1080p appears to be the next big thing.
They said they hoped it would be available by years end, but it probably won't be. There is no price point. One company I missed was eLCOS. They had a 1920x1080p LCOS rear projection. I walked by their booth, but I swear I did not see it (the press release was in the one of the links below).

Other links in the Rear Projection forums that seem good, but not necessarily 1080p.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=348001

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=350200

One last thing is Intel is getting in the chipsets that control HDTV. I heard they are format agnostic, but people are saying that they will favor LCOS. They hope to get LCOS HDTV down to $1800 by year end...or was that next year...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.