AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post my impressions from yesterday at CES, so will just put them up here. This is my 3rd or 4th CES (can't remember precisely--a bad sign of something!), and it may be my last for a few years. It's fun (but very tiring) and a bit repetitious. (I enjoyed CEDIA this past Sept in Denver much more.)

My main interest was in projectors, though since I've just gotten a new RS20, my enthusiasm was not at the highest level. Still some interesting things:

1. 3D seems to being pushed as the 'next big thing', but I'm skeptical that it will really catch on. This could just be the conservation of a 68 yr old, but the demos I saw didn't impress me for more than a few minutes. Of course if there were much source material, .... . And after all, it has taken quite a few years for HD itself to become mainstream.

2. I saw the new SIM2 C3X1080p (the Lumus I think they're calling it), and WOW; it was very, very nice. It was shown on a smallish screen (~100" I would guess), so was quite bright, but still with nice deep a vivid colors that were right on. It has SIM2's version of 'dynamic black', along with their own 'lamp modulation' methodology (already used in some of the 1 chip units, the HT3000 and HT380 I believe). Maybe I'll consider getting one of these after I win the Nobel Prize (solo!).

3. Optoma showed 3 new pj's, two of which (the 806 and 8000) seem to be the latest version of their original 1080p pj, the 81; they have the same white box, etc., and are loud (32 dB), bright (2000 and 2200 lumens spec), 8000:1 and 10,000:1 CR, though of course one doesn't expect the lumens and CR to be achieved simultaneously.

The 8200, though, is a new animal; Jason has commented on it in his report (and has a pic). It is a black rectangular box, and was the one shown by the demo. It was presented well and gave a very nice pic. It is quiet (22/26 dB in low/high lamp), has a nice throw range (ratio 1.49 to 2.28), lens shift, spec'ed CR of 20,000:1 and ANSI CR of 680:1, and 1300 lumens. So if Optoma can produce a reliable version of this unit, it should be of interest.

4. Panasonic had a very nice presentation of their 3000. It was shown on a Dalite screen that has a motorized masking system that shifts between 16x9 and 2.35:1. Together with the Panny's AR memory, that switches between these two AR's, it makes a very cool package. The picture was excellent. I imagine many people would be very happy with this pj, and a few $K, in lieu of a RS20.

4'. Panny also showed 3 new BRD players. Two, the 60 and 80, are basically the same as the present 35 and 55, with the addition of networking features. A third one seems to be the same as these but also with a VHS playing capability! Great for being able to look at all those family tapes on your shelves if you have gotten rid of all your old VHS units.

5. Epson also had a very nice presentation of their 7500. It has a native CR of 6000:1 (which is what the demo was using), but claims up to 75,000:1 with a DI (that wasn't shown). Clips of the 'Hulk' were very impressive, esp for the price (MSRP $4200). They emphasized the preset color system (designed for their consultant Kevin Miller).

6. Mits also showed their 7000, but just as CEDIA, it was in a terrible room setup, the back side totally open to the convention hall, washing out the pic. This crazy, for it makes the pj look like crap, when I think it is probably in the same ballpark as the Panny and Epson.

7. No shows:

a. Marantz cancelled.

b. Tex Instrum, which has always had a very impressive DLP section, cancelled. (Their space was taken over by LG, which had a HUMONGOUS spread of products.)

c. Luminous/Phlatlight had an invitation only room, so us unwashed were not able to visit it. I did talk to a TI guy (from another TI division), and he did comment that people were having a hard time getting LED illumination bright enough for pj'; only for lcd and rp tv's has it been possible. It's beginning to sound like LED DLP pj's is like SED, a great idea that just doesn't quite make it. It didn't see anything to do with lasers, though.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Bill, did you see the new content system?

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to fill us in Bill. Much appreciated.

I used to do CES for the High End audio show. I'm not quite as techno-crazed as I used to be, though, so it's hard to get myself out to such shows these days.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/15517820

Nope, that I did not.

Was it not on when you went? I believe it was in the HT5k room with a Cinecurve.

I think Jason caught it anyway. Thanks Bill.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/15517849

Was it not on when you went? I believe it was in the HT5k room with a Cinecurve.

I think Jason caught it anyway. Thanks Bill.

I did see the HT5000 on the cinecurve screen; they have had this up every year I've been to the CES, so I really didn't pay much attention to it. It was the new C3X that really wowed me. They had the D60 showing in the other room, and it looked much inferior to the C3X.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/15517264

7. No shows:

a. Marantz cancelled.

Thanks millerwill for the impressions. A shame Marantz cancelled as I was looking forward to new projectors from them. Oh well looks like I save my money this year without an upgrade.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz /forum/post/15518487

Thanks millerwill for the impressions. A shame Marantz cancelled as I was looking forward to new projectors from them. Oh well looks like I save my money this year without an upgrade.

I have assumed that they cancelled. They were supposed to be in the same room at the Hilton as MacIntosh, but were not. It's possible they were somewhere else. (Anybody find them?)

·
Registered
610 Posts
The only laser projector at CES was the Microvision SHOWWX:

http://www.microvision.com/showwx/specs.html

Just a picoprojector right now but this could easily be stacked or blended for home theater. Low lumens but this uses raster scanning (like CRT) and can turn off individual pixels for true blacks and potentially infinite native on/off.

EDIT: LOL...just noticed I made this exact post 1 year and 3 days ago when Microvision was at 08 CES. Supposedly we will see a real product by June of this year...hopefully.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi millerwill are you going to Sanyo booth? I think they have a new DLP with dual twin color wheel, 1920x1080 panel, 6,500 lumens and dual UHP lamp.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noah: A side-by-side would be necessary for me to be definitive, but I'm looking at my RS20 right now, and I don't think the Opt 8200 was nearly this good!

baibai: I was only there yesterday and unfortunately didn't visit the Sanyo booth.

·
Registered
21,371 Posts
I am here at CES too.

Optoma - I thought the HD8200 they were showing looked very good. A nice presentation in a dedicated room, showing some of the latest Indiana Jones movie. Picture wise I give it a thumbs up.

HD71 - even though it wasn't in a dark room, the HD71 and HD 806 looked pretty good too.

Epson HC6500 - they showd this in dedicated room. Wow - LCD has come a long way if you think about it. I thouht this projector looked outstanding for the money !! They were showing some Harry Potter clips - this old DLP guy has to admit that the blacks on this machine look pretty darned good!!

Mitsubishi 7000 - not the best room setup but it still looked pretty good. certanly for the money, anyone looking a the Epson 6500 should consider the 7000 too.

HC 1600 - great picture for the money with this machine IMO.

SIM D60 - with the bundled Panamorph lens, this projector threw a ice picture for he money too. Very sharp and crisp.

SIM HT5000 - Not much to say here - excellent picture, and very bright. If you can't live without a really big screen and bright picture, this is your machine ( if you can afford it ).

SIM CX Lumis HOST - I was glad I saw this last - flat out the best picture I think I've seen yet from a projector !! Blacks are incredible, and the high ANSI contrast in evident on many of the scenes we saw watching he Spiderman Blu Ray. I've got to get me one of these.........

All in all, I thought it was a decent show. May go back for more poking around tomorrow. Tonite it's off to see Cirque Du Soleil's "O " at the Bellagio, and then dinner........

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Thanks for the nice update Bill. If I could,
I would cast a vote for you on that Nobel Prize. Al Gore got one but he invented the internet. lol.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
No Samsung SPA-900 demo?

·
Registered
917 Posts
OThe osram lamp technology used with a dynamic IRIS should improve the C3X 1080p dramatically and also the D65 brightness.

Bill how did the Lumus blacks compare to your RS20?

everybody has been raving about the Optima but at my altitude 6000ft we have had problems with reliability with Optima machines. Sim is not great either at this altitude but it is much better than Optima.

I understand Optima is supposed to becoming out with a 3 chip

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang46 /forum/post/15555318

Bill how did the Lumus blacks compare to your RS20?

The blacks on the Lumis (Lumus, I don't know which) looked very nice. But w/o a side-by-side comparison--with a variety of material--it's impossible to say if they were as good as on my RS20, which are also very, very nice.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlang46 /forum/post/15555318

everybody has been raving about the Optima but at my altitude 6000ft we have had problems with reliability with Optima machines. Sim is not great either at this altitude but it is much better than Optima.

Optoma's not too reliable at sea level either, but when my HD81-LV works, it looks great! Love those hot swaps. Still like the DLP look more than LCOS, but the JVC blacks are seductive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts