AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panasonic booth guy says that the unit powering the sound in the 1080P "home theater" pod is the prototype of the SA-XR75. The unit is around the corner from the SA-XR57 mentioned in the other thread. Panny booth guy said it might be out in 6 mos or so.


Note that there is lettering on the front that indicates wireless interface of some sort support.


Pics attached.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
dm could you mail me the unresized photos please? here- [email protected] thanks


can't make out the second pix - if that is the rear it looks like nothings there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shot is of the rear. I had to climb behind the 60" projection TV rack and angle my camera back there to get the shot on my hands and knees. (looked a little strange on the show floor, I got some looks). So that is the best I could do. You are mostly looking at what appears to be a fan housing and some of the connecting cables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
SC: Looks like you missed my post at the "monster" :D XR55 thread of this yesterday along with the XR57. But here it is anyway. Let me know if you want a full blown megapixel(s) copy.



This one is more intriguing because it has no model number in the front. It is a bit taller than the XR-55/57 and it is hooked up to a working BluRay DVD in the BluRay demo booth.


Behold the XR7x??:

http://tinypic.com/jrpdds.jpg



I'll post the rest of the pix at the "CES Special Request" thread.

DM: You know I almost turned this unit off just to make sure it is actually working but a lot of people were watching. I also has pix of the back and that power cord does not seem to have a rubber protection ring. I did see a one or two of what seems to be a HDMI wire coming from the right side of the unit. Seems more like a jerry-rigged prototype. :)


...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Great pix. Very exciting. Prediction: The day the first Hi Def DVD goes on sale in the US, every single solitary standard-def DVD will disappear from the shelves. The basis for this prediction is what happened between the spring of 1983 and a few months later: The CD appeared (at $12.95 and up, and sounding tinny, lifeless, irritating and terrible) and immediately every single vinyl LP (at $4.95 and sounding just fabulous) in the US disappeared from store shelves. I'll bet hi-def DVDs will cost at least $75 each and the players for them will cost at least $4,000 for the first 10 years. So load up on standard def dvds folks, especially since you're all paying thru the nose now for receivers that can upscale them on your multi-thousand dollar hi-def displays. And really enjoy the 3 hi-def DVDs you'll be able to afford when you buy your player in 2016. But in the meantime, enjoy watching the standard def DVDs you have now, because you wont be able to find any more a few months from now. They'll just "assume" we all want this big "advance", right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
It seems that Panasonic is moving away from thin digital receivers! Each generation is looking bigger and bigger! My SA-XR25 is half that size. What do you guys think is leading to this? Connectivity?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
more because of all those people who cannot believe that a small flimsy receiver can't sound good (Ok, connectivity & binding posts might be contributory factors)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001
This message does not apply to all of you in Europe and Asia who dont have to pay a billion dollars a day for a military since we do it for you. You have plenty of money to spend on this stuff.
This comment is out of place in this forum, bu I'm speechless. So all those people's mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters in the military, risking their lives in unwelcome countries and conditions, is depriving you of funds your personal entertainment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
SiriuslyCold- My father served in the U.S. Army in WWII. His brother, an M.D., was an officer in the U.S. Navy during WWII. My mother's brother served for 5 years in the U.S. Army during WWII. Her sister's husband served in the U.S. Army during WWII and fought in the Phillipines. My cousins son served in the U.S. Army during the 80's. Millions of Americans have the same family history. Our government extracts over a billion dollars a day from the American people for our military, a far, far heavier per capita burden than the people of Germany or Japan bear for their military. Those countries enjoy national health care and many other advantages because we supply the military defense they need. If the truth leaves you speechless, forgive me for violating your little politically correct perceptions, but the truth is the truth. See, these things can be proven with cold, hard numbers from national budgets. So before you get start yelling that someone is being politically incorrect, be careful that there aren't some readily available official numbers around to make you look like a complete fool. I love your wild inference that our military is denying me HT equipment. It makes you look utterly irrational. Our government's insistence of providing most of the military defense for big, rich countries that once tried to rape and murder and enslave their way across the United States of America is the cause of any such denial. Now let's hear some more irrational yelling from you that I'm being politically incorrect by pointing out this disturbing fact. I'm lovin it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001
I'm lovin it




If the bigger receiver has more Watts/channel than the XR-55, I can live with that :)


Got to say though, the smaller chassis class D are more attractive IMO. But if this new model has lots of ins and outs, it may demand more back panel real estate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Quote:
The day the first Hi Def DVD goes on sale in the US, every single solitary standard-def DVD will disappear from the shelves. The basis for this prediction is what happened between the spring of 1983 and a few months later: The CD appeared ....I'll bet hi-def DVDs will cost at least $75 each and the players for them will cost at least $4,000
The analogy between vinyl and CD is more appropriate to that between VHS and DVD. If HiDef DVDs are $75, they will go about as far as SACD -- relegated to a very small shelf at the back of a few stores to be bought by videophiles. Sony no longer supports SACD because of underwhelming sales. The only way hidef DVD will make a dent is if the price is the same as StdDef AND they contain Std Def tracks for legacy players. DVD sales are already slumping badly because of high prices. Higher pricies will worsen the trend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001
It makes you look utterly irrational. Our government's insistence of providing most of the military defense for big, rich countries that once tried to rape and murder and enslave their way across the United States of America is the cause of any such denial. Now let's hear some more irrational yelling from you that I'm being politically incorrect by pointing out this disturbing fact. I'm lovin it
Umm, you sir, have no place to call anyone irrational when you post that diatribe (true or not) in a thread about Panasonic receivers. Your post really helped me determine if I want to get that new Panasonic XR75 :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001
Great pix. Very exciting. Prediction: The day the first Hi Def DVD goes on sale in the US, every single solitary standard-def DVD will disappear from the shelves. The basis for this prediction is what happened between the spring of 1983 and a few months later: The CD appeared (at $12.95 and up, and sounding tinny, lifeless, irritating and terrible) and immediately every single vinyl LP (at $4.95 and sounding just fabulous) in the US disappeared from store shelves. I'll bet hi-def DVDs will cost at least $75 each and the players for them will cost at least $4,000 for the first 10 years. So load up on standard def dvds folks, especially since you're all paying thru the nose now for receivers that can upscale them on your multi-thousand dollar hi-def displays. And really enjoy the 3 hi-def DVDs you'll be able to afford when you buy your player in 2016. But in the meantime, enjoy watching the standard def DVDs you have now, because you wont be able to find any more a few months from now. They'll just "assume" we all want this big "advance", right? This message does not apply to all of you in Europe and Asia who dont have to pay a billion dollars a day for a military since we do it for you. You have plenty of money to spend on this stuff.
What are you talking about? Blu-ray players are at CES with MSRP of $1800. HD-DVD players are said to be less than half that.


For many years the CD and vinyl co-existed, in fact the CD was kind of the sideline product for quite awhile until players became more mainstream.


The situation on this format change will follow a similar pattern - except the CD will likely hang around longer than vinyl LP's did. The simple reason for that is the backwards compatibility. You will still be able to play your CD's on the new players. That wasn't a factor during the vinyl-->CD format change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazyazoo
It seems that Panasonic is moving away from thin digital receivers! Each generation is looking bigger and bigger! My SA-XR25 is half that size. What do you guys think is leading to this? Connectivity?
I have the impression this is about the same height as the current generation XR55. The main advantage of the taller XR55 is better speaker binding posts.


Anyone else notice the small pulse fan is back? Perhaps that's only going to be on the prototype?


Oh and personal opinion is this thing looks ugly and cheap. That front panel shot the grey buttons don't match the silver exterior.


Don't get me wrong I still want one right now, but the aesthetics have been going downhill...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild
Oh and personal opinion is this thing looks ugly and cheap. That front panel shot the grey buttons don't match the silver exterior.


Don't get me wrong I still want one right now, but the aesthetics have been going downhill...
I agree with that - they need better designers for the fascia, although it looks like a severe case of trying to look different
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,343 Posts
I don't care too much about aesthetics since the unit is in my closet and out of sight.


A fan would be a BAD substitute for decent heat sinks as needed to cool the thing.


On the other hand, a fan suggests that maybe the unit gets hotter due to more power? I'm just guessing.


I'm with everyone else on this thread who wants more power. I've written a long wish list for the next panny on a different forum in the past but I doubt most of those things will come to pass. More power and more bass management options would be a start.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top