AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure where to post this so ill just put it here.. i called their customer service and i asked about general public access to the exhibit floor and she told me that it was open to the general public every day jan 8-11.. She said the only things not open were the conferences and such.. Now do I still have to register to get in? Also she said there wasnt any charge.. Am I understanding everything from her correctly? Just wanna make sure before i get into looking to book hotels and flights..

Chris

·
Registered
976 Posts
In my experience, there has been a charge for the general public,something like $25.00 to $40.00 and no charge for those in related business. Also i thought the public was admitted on the final 2 days only of the show unless there have been changes...I may be wrong:confused: http://www.cesweb.org/faqs/general.asp?id=3#attend I am definitely going (have been for the past 15 or so years) as i,i hope Vic from VR Audio...it would be interesting to find out who from AVS may be attending as we might collectively be able to arrange some private demos from some companies or at least meet over dinner for a general discussion.

Al from Phoenix,The video heretic

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Technically CES is open to the trade only. With on line registration, ANYBODY including any and all consumers can attend for free by registering as say a consultant. Make something up, CES will not check it out. CES sells show space to exhibitors and the more "trade" attendees the better it is for CES. If you wait too long to register, you have to pay on site. If you do it say by December 1 (check the CES site out for the cut off date), you get your TRADE BADGE for free.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Website - CESWEB.org

And what Mark says is accurate. I have a company that buys C.E. gear and I go, but I bring some friends every year and register them as employees of mine.

And this was the right forum to post it in, because CRT owners know everything!

Jim

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
OH YEA IM GOING ! :)

This will be my first trip to CES and looking forward to a little vacation. I Was going to go last year but supposidly some of my other frieds in the business werent going to go so I was like, well then Im not gona go. Then it turns out there all there looking for me after they tell me there not going. So this year Im going weather or not they go.

Im sure AVS will have a get together like last year, of course I missed out and heard it was really good so if so this year I will try to get there in time for that and try to meet as many AVSers that I have done business with and others I have gotten help from like TINMAN, JASON (GAMEPIMP) MIKE and the rest of the crew :)

It should be cool and VCRPRO3 tells me there will be an ultra hi end demo at another location? Hard Rock or soething liek that if I remember right.

I need to start booking dates I suppose lol.

·
Registered
976 Posts
There are two main venues for the CES,#1 is the Las Vegas Hilton/Convention Center-This is where the larger corporate manufacturers show and #2,at the Alexis Park Hotel near the Hard Rock--This is where the high end audio manufacturers,Conrad Johnson,Macintosh,etc show their products. In the past i have met and shook the hands of Julian Hirsch (past tech editor of Stereo Review),David Hafler (founder of Dynaco,Hafler) and James Bongiorno(Ampzilla,SAE) at the high end displays.

Al in Phoenix,The Video (and audio) heretic

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanan jsut verify one more time with CES people to make sure I can go.. id hate to book and get there and have them be like sorry u cant come in.. But I love to gamble as well so that could keep me occupied.

But some advice.. dont use any of their discount codes for hotels.. Use expedia and book a package with airfare.. much cheaper..

Chris

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Chris- You just need to register for the CES show and you can do it on line. Year before last, they made you pickup your badge holder with ID and that was a driver's license PLUS a business card. As Mark explained, you can make something up like Chris' Video services, and state you are a freelance videographer. Print up a few cards to take with you because sometimes you will want to use them to enter some of the drawings for prizes. Last year they mailed my complete badge and holder so I didn't need to pick it up. I have never ever paid to attend either NAB or CES or Comdex. Just be in the business, at least for that week. ;)

I usually book my own flights and car but stay at a show hotel because the shuttle bus is so convenient. The Circus-Circus Manor is an excellent location for quick easy access and the rooms are not expensive like the other CES hotels. Another tip- Fly in and out of LV on a day other than the show opening and close because the airport will be very crowded. I usually stay a week and have some fun too sightseeing the desert communities, a real treat for this Florida jungle monkey! That's why I rent a car for the week.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I'm in as well this year I think. I have way too many airmiles not to go..:)

Also, is anyone thinking of NAMM 2 weeks later in LA? That one is trade only...

Curt

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I assume there will be an AVS party hosted by Runco and Stewart. Hopefully it will not be on Friday night where it will conflict with the big name entertainment Noel Lee will bring in for the Monster Cable party that night. Two years ago it was Crosby, Stiles, and Nash. The year before that Ray Charles. Less see, CSN or AVS?

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
Perhaps a few of us can give a keynote speech entitled 'CRT is still the best'.

We'd be ducking too many tomatoes and eggs to finish it I'll bet..:)

Curt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.