AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just got a Ceton card because I was sick of my cable companies crummy motorola box and it's apparent need to forget it's scheduled recordings.

Anyway, everything works fine other than one annoying problem. On certain channels the screen will randomly flash black for a second or two before returning to the video for a few seconds and then black again, and so on, and so on... Audio continues uninterrupted. Putting windows media center into windowed mode solves the problem, except for the nice border surrounding the screen.

I know this has probably been covered before as I've spent several hours looking for a solution and have seen that many others have had this problem... What I can't find anywhere is a solution and/or explanation as to why this is happening.

My setup is as follows:

Intel Core2duo E8500 oc'd to 3.8Ghz

Asus P5Q-E Motherboard

8GB of OCZ DDR2 800 Reaper HPC Ram

Nvidia GT-430 Video Card

Ceton Infinitv 4

Win 7 Professional 64bit

Actually this is the second system I've tried and had this problem with. The only common denominator being the OS, the Video Card, and the Ceton. The old system was a C2D E5300 @ 2.6Ghz with 6 GB of DDR2 800.

Everything is hooked up to a Emotiva UMC-1 and output to a 55" Samsung Plasma. Native res is 1080P and is set as such in both 7mc and on the desktop. I've tried 1080i and [email protected] Still the same problem.

All Drivers are current as of yesterday when I installed win 7 from scratch. all available Microsoft updates have been applied. Only windowed mode eliminates the flashing. DVD Rips and HD-DVD MKV's, even Hulu desktop and Netflix, are fine.

Sorry for posting a new thread on something that's probably been discussed a thousand times, but I'm at a loss as where else to look. If someone could just point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it. If I can't get this fixed, this $300 ceton card is useless to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Are you using stock codecs. I have seen something like this with LAV CUVID Video Decoder during commericals. I have Comcast. The issue does not seem to occur on every channel but does occur on CNN HD.

Beyond that I would try bypassing your receiver and going straight to the TV to eliminate any HDMI issues.

Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers?

Does this occur on all cable channels or only protected content channels?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20816233

Are you using stock codecs. I have seen something like this with LAV CUVID Video Decoder during commericals. I have Comcast. The issue does not seem to occur on every channel but does occur on CNN HD.

Yep, all stock codecs. Like I said, fresh install with no additives... yet. I want to get everything nice and stable so I can make a system image, before I install the shark codec pack and start tweaking things for optimal playback.

Quote:
Beyond that I would try bypassing your receiver and going straight to the TV to eliminate any HDMI issues.

Haven't tried, but will as a last resort since there is nothing I can really do about that.

Quote:
Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers?

As above, yes.

Quote:
Does this occur on all cable channels or only protected content channels?

It's only certain channels, but I have seen it happen on subscription channels and free local channels SD and HD.

As of right now I'm still entertaining thoughts and/or suggestions on this glitch, but right after I posted this last night I think I fixed it... By pure coincidence, I think. Right after posting, my screen went completely black and no audio. I moved the mouse and the screen came back. Ahh! haven't disabled the screen saver and set the power settings yet.

I changed the screen saver to never, power mode to high performance, Turn Screen off: never, and Sleep mode: 5 hours.

I went back into live tv full screen and no black flashes on IFC (worst offender I had found). I flipped through a number of channels and have as of yet been unable to reproduce this flickering. I haven't tried this morning yet, but I think that may have been the key. Hmmmm...

Anyway, only issue I have now is the occasional frame drop or slight pause in the video. Every now and then the image will pause or slow for a half second or so before returning to a normal playback rate. No change in the audio.

Video is also a little washed out, but I haven't tweaked any of the color settings or anything in nvidia control panel yet. Should color space be set RGB for a Plasma TV?

Hmmmm... so close.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Are you on FiOS? If you are, you need a Low Pass Filter attached to the input of the Ceton card.

The other thing you can do is check for updates to the Ceton card. Open the diagnositc tool (found under Start - Programs - Ceton). There were just two updates released recently, one for the driver and one for the firmware of the card.

Take note that you will have to go through the tuner setup portion of WMC again after installing these new drivers. It does not affect your channel guide if you have it manually edited or any of your future recordings, it just rescans and finds the tuners again and enables them for use...about 30 seconds to do.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just started doing it again, though not nearly as bad.

Starting to tick me off. Didn't do it once last night after disabling the screen saver.

I'm on Midcontinent Cable... Not sure how that compares to FiOS.

And, as I said in my first post, all drivers/firmwares are up to date as of 8-11-11.

Could it be certain shows/commercials that cause this? I was watching Discovery as I was typing this and it was perfectly fine, the show ended and auction kings started and the flickering started, just as bad as on IFC. Grrrrr... Makes, what is otherwise a pretty decent HD picture, unwatchable.

·
Registered
959 Posts
What's your dynamic range set at?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 /forum/post/20817750

What's your dynamic range set at?

Probably default, whatever that is. I saw Dynamic range mentioned somewhere on another post I found on google, but I'm not sure where I can find the settings for this.

NVM... Just found it. Was set to limited so I set it to full.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... Everything was looking good, for a bit. Just had the flashing again. This time during a commercial though, at least. I'll I changed was to full range and let anywhere it said let Nvidia control the color settings.

Any of those other tick boxes I should give a try checked/unchecked on the Dynamic range page?

·
Registered
959 Posts
All I've needed for the 29/59 bug(what I was thinking might be your issue) was to change dynamic range to 0-255 on Nvidia GPUs.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 /forum/post/20818004

All I've needed for the 29/59 bug(what I was thinking might be your issue) was to change dynamic range to 0-255 on Nvidia GPUs.

Does that cause or solve the bug?

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/20818061

Does that cause or solve the bug?

It solves it for most.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... so I've been watching tv all afternoon and evening and, for the most part, no flashes on anything except the occasional commercial. I just flicked back to IFC... totally unwatchable.

It seems as though everyone I've seen with this problem was using Nvidia cards. While I do prefer Nvidia, I do have 2x ATI HD5750's crossfired on my main computer. Was thinking about upgrading to a Nvidia 500 series of some sort so I think I'll move the ATI's over to the HTPC and see if that solves the problem. If it does, I guess I'll be getting a new Vid Card to round out the rest of the upgrade I just did on my main system.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update for anyone who's curious. Switching in the ATI cards solved the problem. Haven't had a single black screen flash since. Don't know why it would be having trouble with a Nvidia card, but I'm fairly certain now that that was the weak link in the chain. So I guess I'll be running a crossfire setup for my HTPC now, Overkill perhaps, but I shouldn't have any other problems for quite awhile now.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Were you running LAV CUVID as your video decoder with the GT430?

I have seen flashing commericals on CNNHD only with LAV CUVID. I don't use LAV CUVID with WMC for that reason. I am using Cyberlink PowerDVD 10's video decoder.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarBlar /forum/post/20823549

Just an update for anyone who's curious. Switching in the ATI cards solved the problem. Haven't had a single black screen flash since. Don't know why it would be having trouble with a Nvidia card, but I'm fairly certain now that that was the weak link in the chain. So I guess I'll be running a crossfire setup for my HTPC now, Overkill perhaps, but I shouldn't have any other problems for quite awhile now.

ATI card do the same thing as well.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20823842

Were you running LAV CUVID as your video decoder with the GT430?

I have seen flashing commericals on CNNHD only with LAV CUVID. I don't use LAV CUVID with WMC for that reason. I am using Cyberlink PowerDVD 10's video decoder.

Nope... It was a straight fresh install. Everything was default the way windows loaded it.

I have since loaded Shark007's codec pack and am using the LAV Audio decoders to handle all of my HD-DVD MKV's.... Dolby Digital Plus Bitstreaming at last!
As far as I remember Everything relating to live tv has been left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 /forum/post/0

ATI card do the same thing as well.

Not my ATI card's! Not yet, anyway... God willing... Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The ATIs have check box in CCC (also something to do w/ dynamic range IIRC) that helps w/ the 29/59 bug, you likely have have set the way needs to be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts