AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

First, apologies if this is not in the right forum or if it has been asked before.

We just purchased a Ceton card to go into our Media PC, and eagerly await it's arrival.

What we have/will have:

2 TVs (bedroom & living room)

1 Media Center PC (in living room) with Ceton Card and Time Warner Cable Card

Playstation 3 (in living room)

What we want:

The ability to watch two different programs - one on one TV, another on the other TV - at the same time, either recorded or live, from Cable or Netflix.

The Question:

Does this require the purchase of a Media Center Extender or can it be accomplished via an active HDMI splitter? Reviews of MCEs seem to be luke warm at best, reviews of splitters seem to indicate happy owners, but only for watching the same program on both TV's.

If we do need to purchase an MCE, could you recommend a good one (not an Xbox) to accomplish what we're looking for.

Also, could you recommend a good remote control solution for this setup?

Thank you!

·
Registered
912 Posts
You should have done a bit more research before buying the ceton card so that you had a full understanding of the limitations.

1. Cable card only works with media center. The only extender for media center is the xbox period. There is no other device, you are stuck.

2. Media Center does not support PiP so only one program can be displayed at a time so an HDMI splitter will not work for what you want to do (for the TV watching portion).

As long as you want to use a cable card, your only option is an xbox for your second TV. There are currently no other options. As far as remote, any media center compatible romote will work (really you only need the USB receiver), you can then use a logitech remote (I use the 880) to actually control everything to include the AVR, TV and media center.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this not a Media Center Extender?

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Media-Center-Extender-DVD/dp/B000XQONSG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290993157&sr=8-2 "

Quote:
The new Ceton InfiniTV 4 turns your Media Center PC into the world's best entertainment platform for digital cable TV, including support for premium cable channels. Watch and/or record up to four live channels of HDTV at once and stream live HD channels or recordings to multiple HDTVs throughout the home, all from a single cable connection.

Does this paragraph not state that the Ceton card will do exactly what I described above?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The Ceton tuner will let you record 4 channels. you need mce extenders to watch more than one channel at a time.

The only extender currently in production is the xbox. There is still some stock of older extenders for sale.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unab /forum/post/19559798

Is this not a Media Center Extender?

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Media-Center-Extender-DVD/dp/B000XQONSG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290993157&sr=8-2 "

Yes, however it is no longer in production (hasn't been for a couple of years), I didn't realize that you could still find new units for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unab /forum/post/19559798

Does this paragraph not state that the Ceton card will do exactly what I described above?

The Ceton card has four tuners and it will allow you to record four shows at the same time, however, live streaming is limited to extenders only (not even to another media center PC). A second media center PC could play recorded shows assuming that the recorded show doesn't have DRM restrictions that only allow playback on the same PC that recorded it.

Using extended desktop to playback two different shows at the same time by using windows media center is also not supported.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't understand the PiP comment until the next poster also eluded to it.

I meant watch one program on one TV and watch another program on the other TV simultaneously - not watch two programs on one TV.

One of you says this can be done, but only with an MCE - is this correct?

And, an HDMI splitter will only do what - allow one program on one TV to be played at a time?

Thank you for your patience, I'm just trying to get some clarification.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sorry for the confusion.

There is a difference on how Windows Media Center handles LIVE tv and recorded TV.

LIVE tv can only be streamed to extenders, while recorded shows can be streamed to extenders and/or other media center computers if the DRM allows it (DRM does not restrict extenders).

You cannot use an HDMI splitter to show two different shows on two separate TVs (at the same time) because you will be using ONE computer. One computer can only run one instance of windows media center which can only show one channel/show at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keep in mind that Ceton released a new firmware that allows tuner sharing. As long as your second Win7 PC is on the same network, you can assign one of the tuners to the second PC. Therefore you can watch one program on the main HTPC, one on a second PC. (Works best wired but wireless works as long as you have good signal strength.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A splitter would give you the same thing on both displays. In order to watch 2 different shows on 2 different TV's your options are using a media center extender and yes the one you linked will work however I'm sure you can find that model for much less(I bought NIB on ebay for well under $100 but they're normally a bit more for the better deals) if you don't need the built in DVD player the DMA 2100 is pretty much the same and goes for less, or use another media center PC and share one of the Ceton tuners w/ it. Since you're on TWC you're going to have a lot of copy protected channels so an extender would be the best choice for being able to share your recordings as copy protected recordings can only be played on the machine that made them or it's extenders. Most extenders don't have native Netflix support and those that do it's not inside the Media center UI(xbox) but you can add by using play on and VNCplayit media center plugin or similar.

·
Registered
443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondean /forum/post/20605331

Keep in mind that Ceton released a new firmware that allows tuner sharing. As long as your second Win7 PC is on the same network, you can assign one of the tuners to the second PC. Therefore you can watch one program on the main HTPC, one on a second PC. (Works best wired but wireless works as long as you have good signal strength.

Even with tuner sharing, you're still limited on watching particular shows marked copy once on the same machine it was recorded on. Not to mention your guide will not be sync'd to one another along with the recording schedule.

Save yourself some grief and get some extenders (either xbox or HP280n/Linksys DMA/etc). This will sync your guide, allow you to watch multiple programs (live streaming) on multiple TVs and all of your recordings from any location, regardless of DRM.

You said you wanted to watch netflix - you won't get this on the extender unless you 1) have an xbox, 2) have a gold account and 3) watch from the dashboard and not the MCE interface. If you have a newer TV, most have this built-in now so you could just access netflix that way on the tv that's connected to the extender.

·
Registered
893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA /forum/post/20608068

What's the cheapest you can pick up a 360 for these days? Thinking about getting one to use as an extender.

You can get a new 4GB for $199.00 plus a $50 gift card from the different stores that have that offer.

I just bought two HP X280N extenders off ebay for a bit less than one new Xbox. Went with the extenders 'cause I could get two of them, and would rather have something a little more quiet and efficient. (Though from what I understand the new Xbox is pretty quiet)

oh... Go Jackets!

CFC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.