AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Ceton card and am was going to install it in my HTPC. Now I am considering the possibility of installing it in my WHS 2011 server. I am looking for Pros and Cons to each. Also, if I decide to install in the server are there any special instructions I should consider? Thanks in advance.

Other info:

4 HTPCs in house that would use the tuners

·
Registered
161 Posts
I believe that if you have the tuner in your whs, any recorded drm tv shows will only be accessible on the server and not on the extenders/ htpc's.

You could put the tuner in your whs and setup the tuners for use on the htpc's via the ceton network wizard but it would basically limit the tuners to the designated extender.

tuner 1- living room htpc

tuner 2- family room htpc

tuner 3- bedroom htpc

tuner 4- shower htpc

Might be a pain in the ass to record multiple shows. You would only be able to record 1 show per tuner/ 1 show per extender.

Im trying to figure this situation out myself and am considering buying another ceton card for the server or figuring out how to remove drm from recorded shows to stream to any htpc.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd put it in your server since it's likely to be on anytime a HTPC is if not always that way, WHS is also easier to set up to use WOL and have other PCs keep it up by using addins like lights out. Adding cooling to the server if needed for the heat the Ceton makes is normally easier since noise shouldn't be an issue(though it's not hard to do it in a HTPC and keeps things quiet).

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerndigital81 /forum/post/20774612

I believe that if you have the tuner in your whs, any recorded drm tv shows will only be accessible on the server and not on the extenders/ htpc's.

DRM'd recordings are locked to the PC that made them not the turner or its location.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizi
Is there anything special I need to do to install in the WHS? The drivers will work from Ceton?
I have mine in a server 2008 R2 machine, WHS 2011 is basically a stripped version of it w/ WHS features added, both being based of win 7 architecture so the drivers should work, I've also heard of people putting their Cetons in WHS 2011 systems as well.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Sorry I wasn't sure whether it was better to bump an old thread or start a new one, but has anyone actually done this and used it with extenders? How would you link an extender to your WHS 2011 or Windows Server 2008 box without WMC?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 /forum/post/21816856

Sorry I wasn't sure whether it was better to bump an old thread or start a new one, but has anyone actually done this and used it with extenders? How would you link an extender to your WHS 2011 or Windows Server 2008 box without WMC?

You don't. Media Center Extenders depend on WMC and there is no way to link them to Windows Server (beyond running MC in a VM on the server)

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz /forum/post/21817282

You don't. Media Center Extenders depend on WMC and there is no way to link them to Windows Server (beyond running MC in a VM on the server)

Thanks for the answer. I figured that was the case. I wish M$ would change this, but given their lack of interest in WMC, I don't see that ever happening.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It really depends on your wants/needs. My vote is stick it in a dedicated HTPC/use extenders and skip the tuner sharing - IMO, it's an unnecessary complexity. Though folks are successful in doing it this way.

Shared guide, set recordings from any TV, viewing any/all DRM'd recordings from any TV are all very important things for ME. Using multiple HTPC's (as already mentioned) you'll have separate guides, recording multiple shows at once would be tricky I'd assume since you have to access other machines to do it (no personal experience though), and could run into a DRM nightmare when you want to watch something somewhere else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.