AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Wish I could get the 2-tuner version. Unless this can coexist with two other (HDhomerun) tuners...? Thought there was a 4-tuner maximum in Win7 without some elusive OEM software tweak...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant imagine actually needing 4. I see people do it all the time though. I just dont like TV that much. I can barely think of 10 shows that I borderline like and of those only like 6 are worth taping.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael /forum/post/18304574

Wish I could get the 2-tuner version. Unless this can coexist with two other (HDhomerun) tuners...? Thought there was a 4-tuner maximum in Win7 without some elusive OEM software tweak...

the limitation is 4 tuners of each type...CableCard/QAM/ATSC/NTSC

I can see using a 2 tuner card, but not 4 or 6...most of my recording is not even encrypted.

I use a dual QAM Avermedia and the ATI tuner. Works great for me.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I am on their mailing list but they did not send me anything.

I want the 4 tuner cablecard tuner. I watch a lot of shows which appear back to back. Media Center likes to record a little before and a little after each show, to make sure you do not miss any of the show if someone's clock is a little off.

Due to the extra time, the start of some shows appear at the end of other shows. Not always, Win 7 is MUCH better at not doing that when the shows are back to back on the same channel than previous versions were.

But if I watch only two channels, but two shows back to back on each channel, I need 4 tuners to ensure I get 100% of each show recorded.

That is why I want it. It also gives extra flexability which may never be needed. My car can go over the speed limit...I may never do it, but I am glad it is there incase I need to some time for whatever reason.

EDIT: It is not for sale or preorder yet, at least not from Ceton Corp.:

Quote:
Availability

The Ceton Digital Cable Quad-Tuner Card will be available for sale by March 31, 2010. Check back here for details on retailer availability.
http://cetoncorp.com/buy.php

That is why I did not receive an email. If you want to preorder it, you need to buy it from some third party website for $80 over MSRP. No thanks.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
How do you get 7MC to use 2 tuners for the overlap on shows when recording the same channel? My recording normally end up with a minute of one show on the next same channel recording. 7MC doesn't use the unused tuner to record the extar minutes of each show. This is annoying since networks now feel the need to put the end of one show and the start of the next back to back with no break in between.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
May be I'm confused, but there IS a setting in Media Center that controls when recordings start and stop. I usually set mine to "On time" and Windows 7 has been pretty good about honoring that setting. There's very rare occasions when it gets confused, and you get a "No tuners available" message, but it immediately picks up (automatically) in a few seconds and starts recording.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Man, May 31 - another 2 1/2 months of putting up with (and paying for) Comcast's crappy DVR with tiny hard drive and horrid interface. I don't see any reason to preorder, especially from some random hardware provider charging $80 extra; it's not like these things will be rare and sell out instantly, not the 4-tuner one at least.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kapone every thursday I tape the NBC lineup with community, parks and rec, the office and 30 rock. With it set to record on time it doesnt start on time and starts several minutes late. Then it doesnt fit all of the first show and it overlaps onto the 2nd and on down the line. In order to record all of 30 rock I would need to tape whatever is on after that because it always cuts it off. It sucks. I was told this is intentional and its not really the tuners fault rather its the network purposely doing this so its harder to tape and forces you to watch commercials. Really sucks too. I usually end up over at that one site that manages to do it right where you can actually watch the entire show with no commercials. Sucks I am not only paying for cable but an expensive tuner/recorder (hauppage 2250) and I still cant just watch my favorite shows. Its much easier to just wait until the next day when they are on my desktop. I seriously have not seen the end of a 30 rock in a long time except the ones I get from that one site.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

Quote:
With it set to record on time it doesnt start on time and starts several minutes late

That should NOT be happening. There may be a minor (few seconds) delay on rare occasions, but "minutes" should not be happening. I have been running MC pretty much since the 2005 days, and the MC in Windows 7 is so much more better at these things.

Something's gotta be funky in your configuration. Driver conflicts? drive issues? too many things running?

Edit: FYI, On several days (like thursdays) I have several back to back recordings on MULTIPLE channels at the same time, and WMC has yet to disappoint me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
According to Engadget, all four tuners have to be locked to one PC. This is a major bummer and a deal breaker. Even with network sharing of tuners, this means a remote network PC will either get all four tuners or none.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian /forum/post/18305391

According to Engadget, all four tuners have to be locked to one PC. This is a major bummer and a deal breaker. Even with network sharing of tuners, this means a remote network PC will either get all four tuners or none.

agree, this is very disappointing, hard to justify cost now

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
http://cetoncorp.com/buy.php

That is why I did not receive an email. If you want to preorder it, you need to buy it from some third party website for $80 over MSRP. No thanks

Ceton added a note about the price.

Quote:
Click here to place your order on Zones.com at $399.

(NOTE: The current price on Zones.com is incorrect. We are in the process of fixing it, thank you for your patience)

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan /forum/post/18305459

agree, this is very disappointing, hard to justify cost now

This stinks. I don't know what I'll do now.

·
Registered
769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/18306169

This stinks. I don't know what I'll do now.

Personally, I think it pushes me to getting the HDhomerun cable card tuner. Even though it's only 2 tuners, I already have their 2 tuner QAM version which should be sufficient to me.

I"m as much interested in using HTPCs/Extenders for LiveTV all around the house replacing all the cable boxes, and the HDHomerun network model serves that need perfectly.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian /forum/post/18305391

According to Engadget, all four tuners have to be locked to one PC.

Does this mean that the .wtv recordings are also locked to that PC? ie, DRM.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree /forum/post/18306285

Does this mean that the .wtv recordings are also locked to that PC? ie, DRM.

Yup, that was always there before.

I just saw a post by a Ceton employee stating that the network sharing limitation is due to CableCard specs, not Ceton's own doing. If so, then SiliconDust will be subject to the same exact limitation, negating any benefits from the network tuner concept and a huge step back for them.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/13/ce...ents/26212922/

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian /forum/post/18306388

Yup, that was always there before.

I just saw a post by a Ceton employee stating that the network sharing limitation is due to CableCard specs, not Ceton's own doing. If so, then SiliconDust will be subject to the same exact limitation, negating any benefits from the network tuner concept and a huge step back for them.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/13/ce...ents/26212922/

This was inevitable. Cablelabs does NOT want the "pure" streams being flung around a network. It's much more difficult to snoop the PCI/USB bus, than it is to snoop a network.

1 - 20 of 560 Posts