AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Half of the time I buy CFL's I hate the light they make. The daylight are the worst. What is the best CFL bulb for basements from your experience? I have to go buy 12 of them and want to make sure I don't F up

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh boy just found this in google

"Do not use fluorescent fixtures or compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs in basement lighting fixtures. Fluorescent tubes and CFL bulbs both emit a light that is far too cool for a basement. Install incandescent or halogen bulbs in these lamps and fixtures instead. "
http://www.ehow.com/how_5715363_remo...-basement.html

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,375 Posts
If you think the bright white ones are too cool grab the ones that are more yellow. CFL bulbs have come a long way and there is a color to suit everyone. I actually use a mix of the Yellow and Bright White in my office to get it "just right". Be aware that they don't dim.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The one thing I hate about them is that they ramp up when you first turn them on. I also, hate the white, but have found warm white now.

·
Registered
942 Posts
yeah I've tried all the different temperature flavors of CFLs to do the green thing, but I've never been happy with any of them and I don't use any in the basement.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyHouse /forum/post/19521895

Half of the time I buy CFL's I hate the light they make. The daylight are the worst. What is the best CFL bulb for basements from your experience? I have to go buy 12 of them and want to make sure I don't F up

LED downlights are available (HD and Lowes both carry them I believe). That might be something to consider. LED's use less power, last longer, aren't toxic (CFL's contain mercury and must be disposed of as hazardous waste), and many can be dimmed.

Mike

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent /forum/post/19525212

LED downlights are available (HD and Lowes both carry them I believe). That might be something to consider. LED's use less power, last longer, aren't toxic (CFL's contain mercury and must be disposed of as hazardous waste), and many can be dimmed.

Mike

Dont forget are 10x the cost.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I have to say that while I'm not opposed to the overall idea of CFL's (as they do have their uses) I have not found one that emits a light that "looks and feels" like the good old incandescent bulbs. I have tried a few CFL's in the house and I always go back to the standard bulb. If I were you I would go buy one example of each CFL "flavor" use them for a short period of time and then you will be sure you get one that is pleasing to you. When I was going through my trial and error I bought several examples from Menards and before I did I even asked the lighting sales associate if what I was planning on doing was OK with the stores return policy. I was assured it was not a problem (and it wasn't). I have found that CFL's are great in the garage door opener as the normal bulbs only lasted a couple of months due to all the vibrations. I think that the CFL's in there have been there around a year or so with out any issues.

I won't put CFL's in the basement until I'm forced to and I'm steering clear of halogen due to heat considerations.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Not a basement but the wife said no when I loaded a 3 light fixture in the kitchen with CFL because of the slow ramp up when cold. These are lower color temp CFLs so I swapped one out for a standard 100 watt bulb. This give her the instant light she wants but still saves a lot of energy. Once they are warmed up they do match the iincandescent but they are the type of CFL for open fixture and are covered with a glass bulb which makes it look like a standard light bulb in appearance and color. Not sure how it would look with halogen and CFL mix but if the color temps are matched it probably would work.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I have 5 can lights for my Pub Room in the basement. Tried the CFL flood lights for a few weeks - but pulled them out. The Reason: Slow to come up to full brightness, and the color temperature.

However I do find the CFLs work out OK for many other locations inj the house.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried a dimmable CFL in our can lights in the basement... I couldn't return it fast enough, it was the most hideous looking light I've ever seen and looked even worse when dimmed.

IMHO, dimmable CFL bulbs are not yet ready for prime time in can lights. We have standard CFL's in cans at work and they look pretty good and I use them in various places around the house, but (good looking) dimmable bulbs are a requirement for the media room.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts