AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everybody..

Ordering my sconces, and have a choice between CFL (25w, cx24q-3 4-pin Triple CFL) and Incandescent. (2) 100W Med F Incandescent).

Dumb question, since I'm not familiar w/CFL lights..

Would these work with a Lutron GE dimmer?

Is there any advantage to the CFL vs. the Incandescent? (The 2 100ws seem excessive, but I'm guessing that's just what the sconce is rated for, and I could put in a single 40 or something..OR, is the 25w CFL a better way to go since these are for sconces that will be dimmed during movies and TV watching?)

I need to check with the mfg, but am wondering if the sconce gets made one way or the other (eg: wired differently) since you have to specify which of the two choices you want when ordering.

Sconce's aren't returnable (they're made to order) and $125 each, so I definitely need to get the "right" ones ordered..

Thanks!

- B

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I’d go with the incandescent. CFL’s have the advantage of energy efficiency, but if you are plannign on putin gthem on a dimmer then chances are they worn’t work. Some newer CFL’s claim to be dimmable, but I’ve tried a few and haven’t found any that will work yet.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I use cfl's for everything, and the dimmers work if you buy the dimmable ones. I bought all mine from HD, I believe they are the nVision brand. Works great.

·
Registered
184 Posts
According to Lutron's site:

Quote:
WHAT DO I USE FOR SELF BALLASTED 'DIMMABLE' COMPACT FLUORESCENT LAMPS?

Lutron does not currently offer any products UL listed for these devices. For fluorescent dimming, use a Lutron electronic fluorescent dimming ballast and a dimmer specifically UL listed for use with that ballast.
http://www.lutron.com/product_techni...asp#OLE_LINK18

I would buy the incandescent if you are going with wall sconces. A dimmer actually turns the lamp on and off at such a fast rate that it makes it look dimmer to the human eye (think of a computer refreshing a screen 30 times a second so it looks fluid to the human eye). CFLs must have a voltage regulator (ballast) and even with the "dimmable" CFLs you find at most home stores, you run a risk of being incompatible with your dimmer (even the fluorescent-electronic ones). I don't think its worth it (and I like the performance of incandescent light better). Unless energy is really at a premium...incandescent's will work fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I found this thread searching for an alternative myself. My problem is that the regular bulbs I have now (rated at 130v) are going out faster than I can change them. In less than 1 year, I've changed AT LEAST 12 bulbs.... and there's only 14 in the room aside from the rope light. (which is still kickin' along just fine). I've got the 2404 Lutron dimmer and love it except for it killing bulbs.

Are there any bulbs available that will last longer than a month or two? If so, what brand/model?

Should I try the dimmable CFL bulbs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts