AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out if anyone else is having HBO-HD Ch 509 signal problems?

My signal bounces from the 60 to 80 and has picture freezes.

First, I have taken hours aligning the sat dish.

Ch 509 is TP # 23 on Sat B.

When I switch to HDnet Ch 199, it is on TP # 25, on Sat B and it is solid both signal and picture and is at 83.

So I do not believe it is cables or hardware, but, maybe alignment still?

That is why I am asking for others to supply what kind of signal strengths they get for Ch 509, Sat B TP 23.

Sat. A TP 30 & 32, all HBO's are 95 and solid and so is picture.

Sat C TP 12 is 83 and solid and Ch 090 is also solid.

So I am trying to find out if it is DirecTV or do I have to go out on the ladder again?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
One thing you didn't mention was weather conditions. Heavy rain can cause signal dropouts. One other thing to consider is any surrounding trees. My neighbor had a tree limb swaying in and out of the signal path that cause him all kinds of problems until he happened to do some yard work one spring day. When he realized that he had solved his problem, the whole tree was history. As for DirecTV having a problem with the transponder, works fine at my end.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My 509 signal is currently also fluctuating...between 96 and 97. Sky is overcast.

·
Registered
414 Posts
From 60 - 80 you should not have picture freezes. I suspect the signal is falling below 50's if you are seeing lots of freezing.

I'm also in Florida. Because we are so far south you have to make sure you watch your tilt setting. In most of the dish install manuals they advise you to set the tilt, lock it down and don't adjust. The manuals usually recommend you make the final trimming adjustments using elevation and azimuth. You should note that because we are so South and much East of the satellites we need to pay closer attention to the tilt setting. A finely trimmed tilt setting can make a huge difference with SAT B in particular because of its location in the sky.

BTW, how did you find a list of which channels are on which transponders?

Quote:
Originally posted by George33027
I am trying to find out if anyone else is having HBO-HD Ch 509 signal problems?

My signal bounces from the 60 to 80 and has picture freezes.

First, I have taken hours aligning the sat dish.

Ch 509 is TP # 23 on Sat B.

When I switch to HDnet Ch 199, it is on TP # 25, on Sat B and it is solid both signal and picture and is at 83.

So I do not believe it is cables or hardware, but, maybe alignment still?

That is why I am asking for others to supply what kind of signal strengths they get for Ch 509, Sat B TP 23.

Sat. A TP 30 & 32, all HBO's are 95 and solid and so is picture.

Sat C TP 12 is 83 and solid and Ch 090 is also solid.

So I am trying to find out if it is DirecTV or do I have to go out on the ladder again?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HD_JUNKIE

Using the Mits, view ch 509.

Then action guide, gets you to installation, then setup

There you will see the signal strenth of the channel you are watching, and it will say Sat B transponder 23.

By the way to the others, no trees, yes clouds come and go, but looked at the signals for different times of the day and night.

Probably have to play with the tilt more.

The horizonal seems to be fixed at max for all 3 Sats. Always at peak.

The tilt seems to effect the Sat A and Sat B interaction

The elevation is the major contributor.

Sat A , B , and C come and go with this one.

I think I am on the edge, where Sat B is going out of signal range and is just start droping, and Sat C comes in. Sat A is peak.

If I move down the elevation, then Sat B goes up a little 2-5 numbers or from 77 to 79, but I have to check the bounce.

Sat C drops out

Sat A goes down to 80's.

I am almost at the end of tilt at 46

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again last night at about 12 midnight I had zero on HBO-HD !

Now I checked a system scan on Sat B and all were in the 80's except TP 23.

Now, is it me that I get zero and no HBO-HD channel, or did DirecTV go down at that time for TP 23?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.