AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CH sources / CH specific construction tips?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mark J. Foster 
#1 ·
Sources are sometimes touched on, but seem to take a back burner to the other hardware (projectors / lenses / screens) in most of the threads. What sources do you use and how do you scale them? By that I mean what specifically are you doing? Examples: I have an Optoma H79/H1000 and I use HTPC only and scale the image on the HTPC – or – I use an Ampro 4600HD and high end DVD player (model xyz) and send component output to a (brand x) scaller. I am trying to get a feel for what is common (if anything) and used in real world setups. If you have a $5k projector – do you have a $2k dvd player? Or are your dollars better spent elsewhere?

Room planning/construction - Is there anything Constant Height specific to be taken into consideration (Other than the obvious – having enough room on your screen wall – or maybe not so obvious – need extra space for masking?). Does anyone think – “Oh – if I had known I was going to do constant height – I would have done X during construction� If so, what would you have done differently from a “standard†(ha ha) dedicated theater room?

Two weeks from today I take possession of my new house – with a full unfinished basement. With any luck I should be well into my theater construction by the time 2006 rolls around, and I am getting a little nervous about finalizing my CH HT plans – what have I overlooked? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Agreed on the screen size/seating distance. I see many HT’s in the builder forum that have a fixed projector mounting point, screen size, seating, columns, risers and just shake my head. Personally I can’t see doing it that way. Depending on your: projector / screen / speakers / choice of surround processing – it would seem that your seating could easily by off by plus or minus 5 feet from where you think it should be during planning. Also – HT equipment is changing rapidly – an ideal setup today may be off with a new projector tomorrow. And you have to move that new projector two or three feet forward / back – not fun if you have a hushbox built into your ceiling at a fixed point. Columns for surrounds are very inflexible. I see the attraction of a fixed setup – aesthetics, but I like flexibility.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
MarkF:

Very nice setup! A little out of my price range, I'm trying to justify a H79/H1200 setup myself. Thanks for the info, and may I ask why you decided to go with Dish vs Direct? I'm looking into satellite options and trying to decide who to go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.