AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a lot of questions about which TV is better, like "Would you recommend the Panny V10 over the Samsung B550?"

I decided to make a chart with my subjective evaluations of many different TVs. It's not for marketing, and it's not meant as a be-all-end-all ranking. But it might help people figure out which set is best for them based on what they value most in a picture.

I've included 2 Sonys which are discontinued, but I still calibrate a lot of them. They're there mainly for comparison purposes, since you can't buy them new any more.

I might add front projectors at a later date.

There are many more models I've calibrated, but I've only included the ones I can remember well enough to give accurate descriptions of.

The link is in my signature. Feel free to check it out.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
wow awsome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would have purchased a Samsung but with the buzz issue that a lot of folks seem to have, I purchased a V10 instead.

While I realize the buzz issue has nothing to do with PQ, it is an issue that kept me from purchasing.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The sammy 63" B550 now has to be on my list

v10 65

s 65

b550 63.

Chad I had my sights on a 65" V10 or S1 however the b550 63" is now in play.

can you give your opinion on out of the box non ISF setup.?

General tweak avia.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chad,

Thanks for your comparisons, given your familiarity with calibrating each of the plasma's and LCD's. I am trying to decide between a 58" Panny V10 and 58" Samsung 860. It is extremely difficult directly comparing these in local stores due to generally poor set ups (PQ), often an inability to view 1080P material, and close proximity of the displays to one another.

Regards,

NB

·
Registered
237 Posts
Awesome chart, thanks for doing that Chad! The LG in your opinion rates very well. I might have to take another look at that since I got a 860 buzzer. The only think that spoils it for me is the viewing angle which is sort of a deal breaker for me (have a tricky place where the tv goes).

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature boy /forum/post/17050275

Chad,

Thanks for your comparisons, given your familiarity with calibrating each of the plasma's and LCD's. I am trying to decide between a 58" Panny V10 and 58" Samsung 860. It is extremely difficult directly comparing these in local stores due to generally poor set ups (PQ), often an inability to view 1080P material, and close proximity of the displays to one another.

Regards,

NB

at my BB, i was lucky, the V10 and the 860 are side by side. The guys there are pretty cool, and we lugged a blu ray player around to a bunch of different sets - are you able to get them to do that for you?

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc3 /forum/post/17050310

at my BB, i was lucky, the V10 and the 860 are side by side. The guys there are pretty cool, and we lugged a blu ray player around to a bunch of different sets - are you able to get them to do that for you?

No they were too busy Friday afternoon when I went to look at both sets. I did talk extensively with one of the Magnolia Store installers who also does calibrations. He like the Sammy a bit over the Panny, principally due to better colors as Chad B's comparison indicates.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the rankings, Chad.

I had the absolute pleasure of having my 60XBR2 calibrated by Chad about 2 years back (Chicago), the picture still looks amazing to this day. I plan on contacting him soon for my new 500M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGreen321 /forum/post/17050522

Strange how a lot of you people can't shop for yourself and buy a TV YOU like, not a TV some guy ranked based on his own opinions. A lot of threads asking people to hold your hands.

Some (not all) people come to this site to learn a little more about the display they plan on purchasing, the differences between two or three different TVs that 'YOU LIKE', or maybe offer a little assistance on the information that they have gained from experience. And for a purchase that could cost a couple thousand dollars, asking for opinions/info doesn't seem to be a bad idea. Especially in a forum with the very knowledgeable members that are kind enough to help out, like Chad. It's a whole lot better than asking the stoner undergrad at Best Buy for advice.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You measured a higher black level with the LG LH90 than a 9G Kuro elite? o_O Something doesn't seem right about that, especially with the Samsung matching the Kuro elites in black level in your rankings. Here's CNet's take on the LG LH90 black levels:

Quote:
Black level: Like the other displays in the room, the LH90 evinced a very deep shade of black. The initial scene in the Comedian's apartment at night, for example, was reproduced beautifully, with inky shadows in the background and realistic depth in black areas like the letterbox bars, the black ninja suit of the assassin, and the night sky outside the windows. In fact the LG's blacks were nearly indistinguishable during dark scenes from those of the Samsung B750, A950, and B7000 LCDs, and not quite as deep as those of the Sony XBR8, the Panasonic V10, and the Pioneer--but again the differences were subtle, even in a dark room in side-by-side comparisons.

The LG also delivered very good shadow detail. In Drieburg's walk home after visiting Hollis, for example, we noticed that the LH90 appeared a bit more realistic and closer to our reference when rendering the dark steps of the brownstone than did the B750 or the B7000, and roughly equal to the other LCD displays, although not quite as good as the plasmas.

Differences in black-level performance came out in lighter scenes, however, when the letterbox bars of the LED displays, especially the Samsung B7000 but also the LG, became brighter than they appeared during dark scenes. Darker bars improve perceived contrast ratio, and the Samsung B750 and the plasmas' bars remained constant and darker than the others during the brightest scenes. Between the three local-dimming LEDs, the LG showed the most variation: it had the brightest bars in bright scenes, and it also faded to a darker black than the others between the bright scenes during the opening credits, for example (although it didn't turn off completely and distractingly, as did the B7000). That said, the brightness variations of the LG's backlight as a whole were subtle and didn't impinge on our appreciation of the film.

We also noticed some blooming in certain scenes with white objects against black backgrounds. It appeared as a sort of brighter cloud around the object against the black, and was most obvious in the menu text and onscreen indicators of our PS3 or on credits against a black background, for example. Bright areas on the screen also occasionally spilled over into the letterbox bars. When Rorschach shines the flashlight around the Comedian's apartment, for instance, the bottom bar brightened slightly near where the picture of Nixon and the Comedian was illuminated, then darkened again as the light faded. The effect was more obvious on the LG than on the other two local-dimming LCDs, and, as expected, none of the other displays showed such blooming effects.

Yet you gave this a higher ranking than a 9G Kuro???

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGreen321 /forum/post/17050522

Strange how a lot of you people can't shop for yourself and buy a TV YOU like, not a TV some guy ranked based on his own opinions. A lot of threads asking people to hold your hands.

Guess what you DOLT.! so far in my area i have yet to find any of the Plasma's on display so i have to rely on what my fellow forum members are saying.

wow, what a tool.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker /forum/post/17050705

You measured a higher black level with the LG LH90 than a 9G Kuro elite? o_O Something doesn't seem right about that, especially with the Samsung matching the Kuro elites in black level in your rankings. Here's CNet's take on the LG LH90 black levels:

Depending on how it's calibrated, the LH90 can have absolutely NO luminance, not even a faint glow, in a totally dark room. All I can say is that if CNET thought they weren't that dark, then our calibration methodology differs. With brightness at 52, totally dark. Brightness at 54, just slight glow. Default 50.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker /forum/post/17050705

You are misreading my rankings if you got the impression that I said the Samsung matches the Kuro in blacks. I gave the Kuros a 9 for black level. The Samsungs are all lower.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/17050940

You are misreading my rankings if you got the impression that I said the Samsung matches the Kuro in blacks. I gave the Kuros a 9 for black level. The Samsungs are all lower.

The B7100 has a rating of 9 just like the Kuro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/0

Depending on how it's calibrated, the LH90 can have absolutely NO luminance, not even a faint glow, in a totally dark room. All I can say is that if CNET thought they weren't that dark, then our calibration methodology differs. With brightness at 52, totally dark. Brightness at 54, just slight glow. Default 50.

You also noted black crush in your review of the LH90 in order to attain those black levels. Did you measure the black levels of the LH90 vs 9G Kuro? Finally here are the audience results of fully calibrated sets that were pitted against each other at the VE shootout: http://www.toshiba.ca/web/pdf/******...ShootoutEN.pdf Seeing that Toshiba is hosting the file, they must find the results credible.

LH90 Calibration results: ISF1 and ISF2

500M results: ISF Day and ISF night

Now either the calibrators at the shootout didn't know what they were doing and/or the audience members were blind. CNet also agrees with the above results with their review vs yours that seems to be greatly skewed.

1 - 20 of 536 Posts