AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I'm looking to put some pretty decent power to a large pair of towers and would like to do it cheaply (used is good).

I've got a bit of a frakenstein set up at the moment and don't mind continuing along this path.

For example, for bass: I have two used car audio boxes in the basement (a 15" JL and an alpine R 12), the JL runs at 4 ohm, the Alpine runs at 6 and isn't as efficient.

I've found a yard sale Yamaha receiver that puts out about 100w/channel in 2 channel mode. I ran an RCA cable from my receiver's sub over to the Yamaha, split the single channel into two and plugged it in to CD in (or whatever). This is now a sub amp only and puts out a pretty ridiculous amount of noise. Since the trunk shakers are in the basement and the listening/theater room is directly above it, the bass really feels solid (since it has to shake the foundation to be heard).

What I'd like to do is continue this theme and use the RCA line out for the FL and FR to dump into another cheap receiver and power the towers similarly. The problem here is that a meager 100w isn't going to cut it.

Does anyone know of any receivers/amps that were powerful, but not terribly expensive and were popular, but now aren't? Anyone know of any 2 channel receivers/amps that can be bridged?

Buying rack mounted million watt amps or a receiver that can put out 300 w/channel isn't feasible with my budget, even used.

Please let me know if you guys come up with anything.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.