Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hopefully someone can and will help me clear up this frustrating condition. I have a Pioneer 5050 with 2 HDMI inputs. I use one for my cable converter box and the other for a Toshiba 5980 DVD player. I have a Bose Accoustamass 5.1 sound system. I am running toslink cables from the DVD to my Sony receiver and the cable box.

I am unable to get anything more than a whisper out of the rear speakers. I have checked and rechecked the internal settings on the TV, DVD and Cable box without any success. I have to think that there may be a conflict due to HDMI carry the audio signal too, but not certain at all.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either cabling or settings? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcolle
Does anyone have any thoughts on either cabling or settings? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
I have no specific suggestions, but I'm sure it's a setting issue. I've seen some Sony receivers with very limited routing of the digital inputs, i.e. the DVD must be connected to a coax, not toslink input. My suggestion would be to study the manual and make sure it's configured to receive a digital input. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wleehendrick
I have no specific suggestions, but I'm sure it's a setting issue. I've seen some Sony receivers with very limited routing of the digital inputs, i.e. the DVD must be connected to a coax, not toslink input. My suggestion would be to study the manual and make sure it's configured to receive a digital input. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response, but I have read the manual, etc. so many times already. Though I know there must be something screwed up.

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Is the volume way down on the surround speaker trim settings in the Sony receiver? Check your setup and individual channel level settings. Do you have to be in a surround mode like Dolby ProLogic to get the back speakers to work on your Sony, or do you get any sound by switching to 5 channel stereo or a DSP mode like that? If you are sending a Toslink optical cable to the receiver, make sure you don't have the DVD player settings with Dolby Digital and/or DTS bitstreams being converted to PCM before output, or DTS output set to OFF. It sounds like something is coming out of the speakers, so wiring might be an issue. I'm not overly familiar with how a Bose speaker system is set to operate as they tend to be non-standard hookups compared to regular speaker brands. Are there loose wires in the bass module?

Also make sure you are playing something with real 5.1 channel surround material and pick a movie scene with aggressive sound effects like The Haunting, Casper, Black Hawk Down, etc. Not all programming will utilize the rear speakers, and you may be hearing plain old inter-channel cross talk/bleeding rather than an actual signal.

One potential problem right off the bat is that you have a Bose speaker system. Not to seem overly snobby (it can come across that way on a message board), but Bose is basically a four-letter word in the home theater marketplace. It's glorified, waaay overpriced junk. Dr. Bose must have learned a lot from studying P.T. Barnum! :D

Consider strongly an upgrade if you can, if you determine the Sony receiver is crapping out (which model is it?). The Yamaha RX-V657 receiver just got a stellar review in The Perfect Vision for pure sonic performance for a $550 retail lower-end 7.1 channel receiver (DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, Dolby Digital EX, and Dolby ProLogic IIx-- the latter upconverts 2 channel and 5.1 channel sources to 7.1 with stereo back channels-- similar to Logic7 steering in up-scale Lexicon products) with XM satellite capabilities. The reviewer said it was such a shockingly good sounding receiver that it almost could have been mistaken for a higher end unit as long as you kept the volume at reasonable levels. It also has a very accurate auto-calibration mode only seen in higher priced models. Might be worth a look-see if Yamaha indeed has a small gem on their hands.

There are also many different speaker packages that blow the lid off of Bose cubes, if you or a "significant other" crave smaller speakers, or are not in the market for more expensive speakers at this time. The Energy "Take" system is well regarded and the Paradigm Cinema CT 110 package just received good reviews. The PSB Alpha's are great and so are their Image speakers. Tannoy and B&W are great brands too. Definitive Technology has packages worth considering as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.